Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Is the Spaghetti Western Sound Still Cool?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, May 18, 2018.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    It's all about the sense of drama the music helps foster.

People love drama.

Brendan likes this.

2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    I just thought it is cool because it is different.... Thanks for pointing out the difference!

3. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    This was a cool video. If you like this sort of thing , check out The Soundtrack Show podcast.
    I love movie scores and analyzing the emotion and color of music. The podcast guy does an awesome job discussing music, applications, and theory. My favorite episodes so far are on Super Mario Bros and Star Wars.

4. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    Have Twang - will travel ...

5. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    This stuff is so cool it is insane. The funny thing is if you imagine yourself living in the actual time frame that these movies try to emulate, maybe 1870's to 1890's (?) music like this soundtrack would be unimaginable, yet paired with the films sounds perfectly matched and complementary to the visuals presented. Before the first time it was tried, who woulda figured surfy guitar and heavy reverb would go with a western movie?

El Tele Lobo likes this.

6. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Why?
    Because the composer, Ennio Morrocone is talented and well educated classical music composer.

Edit: I like his work, and I like spaghetti western music very much.

El Tele Lobo and cyclopean like this.

7. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Alessandro Alessandroni - on homage to Sergio Leone

El Tele Lobo and Lupo like this.

8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ...because it's genuine 'Italian' Spaghetti western sounds!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Always a good idea!
    Image1526774168.158473.jpg

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    This thread has me thinking, I need to learn to play some of this stuff. I haven't found much online in the way of tab books though, anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: May 20, 2018

11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    A different approach to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly theme tune...

Old Tele man, Paul Jenkin and DaveGo like this.

12. DaveGo

DaveGo TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Austin
    The Uke Orchestra of GB does a knocked-out version of the Theme From Shaft. It's on YouTube. I'm not keen on Ukes but I've watched most of their videos.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

13. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister

May 19, 2018
    EUA
    "The ecstasy of gold" has to be one of the greatest pieces of movie music ever, and I still wonder if the graveyard scene (Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo) was edited to the music "the trio" or music scored to the cut.

. . .something about death . . .and reverb.

El Tele Lobo, cyclopean and a_pidgeon like this.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Pretty much my all time favorite movies with perhaps my all time favorite scores. Dang, I feel like unblocking my trem and cranking up the reverb.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Throughout my band and jobbing career, 1968-78, the twangy sound associated with these examples was something I would use in jams, goofing off in rehearsals, or to send onstage messages to the bass player (long story). Whenever we did Wipe-Out, Secret Agent Man, and whatever, we always played it tongue-in-cheek, as they were throwaway tunes.

Sometime in late 70s (earlier/later based on location) it seemed like these sounds were starting to become "ironic," in the popular sense. I wasn't playing anymore by then, although I did put in some hours in Chicago's Orbit Room, and was overwhelmed by the irony the pervaded the place. Anyway, it is my contention (happy to be wrong) that surf and Dwayne Eddy twang were played straight, originally. If cover bands played them, they used the same sound. At first, dancers just did it straight, as they would for any other rock and roll-derived style. But by the time my bands started throwing out one-offs as mood lighteners, there was a very strong increase in the audience's seeming enjoyment and participation. For decades now, dancers still love those songs, I think, because they get to join in on the irony (girls dancing the pony just like people used to do in movies.

But around 1965 give-or-take, guitar sounds became warmer, fuller, and more varied. Twang sounds were used more for color or effect, rather than as a backbone to the song. (The kind of twang I'm speaking of does not include Steve Cropper, as he played a whole different style in a different register.)

When the Trilogy came out, all three played one night at the drive-in. My friends in the band all went and stayed through the entire series, which ended around dawn. The funny thing about these, were that the bad-dubbing was comical and the cool gunplay sometimes played also for laughs ("if you going to shoot, shoot.") The sounds of the guitars were very appealing, but had a tongue-in-cheek quality to me. Fast-forward to the ironic movie era, when soundtracks consisted of surf songs and neo-surf, or maybe not-so-much surf per se, but that sound used to convey other scenescapes, such the desert. I don't remember hearing early desert music played with that kind of twang at all. Solo guitar parts were often played staccato and slightly muted, which made the note pop out in a larger ensemble.

It's not like I spent hours developing this idea, so I welcome corrections, counter-claims, etc.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

16. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2004
    Was in a record store today and an employee had popped a CD into their player. I only had to hear 2 tracks before I inquired and bought it.

Federale. From my city, and I had never heard of them.
    Stirring compositions that conjur images of the old West with reverb, twang and the occasional spitting fuzz pedal? Its a potent combo.

17. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Interesting... I was not aware that most of the guitar parts in Sergio Leone's films were played withs a sunburst stratocaster...

18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    You want to hear the version they do of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Genius, IMO. Actually, the really funny bit is reading some of the comments from outraged Nirvana fans. Talk about getting your cargo shorts into a bumch.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

19. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Meister

May 18, 2018
    Littleton CO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.