Why is it that different genres of music limit themselves to a particular playing style? Or not.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Just sitting here after a long day of finishing painting a deck. If any of you know me I have my own painting business. I was thinking why is it that certain genres of music stick to the same old same old? Why can't a country song incorporate some tapping in the solo. Why can't a heavy metal song have some bending notes in it? I see a lot of posters on this forum say they couldn't play heavy metal if they wanted to. Why not? It's not that hard. Anyway I think blending different genres and techniques is cool. What do you think?

Chiogtr4x and NothingGoatboat like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i play it all..makes for no limitation on songwriting..its music..whatever the heart brings out..i tapped on a wah on a funk song in studio 3 years ago. was wicked..it did some kinda modulation effect that really made the part interesting..and i dont tap in metal..lol

3. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I really like wah. Call me old fashion. But wah just sounds good.

Sounds Good likes this.
  4. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

I hear a lot of tapping in modern country songs. I think rock and roll mixed with country is a great combo. It's just people like to compartmentalize every aspect of their lives, including music. That's why there are like 8 million subgenres of rock

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Considering just one genre - country music. Country music today overlaps with so many genres: country/rock, country/jazz, country/blues, etc, etc, etc.

I was playing some jazzy chords to a reggae beat. Thought I had discovered something new (rezzae or jaggae?). A quick check on the internet confirmed that jazz / reggae already existed.

Erdowonge likes this.
  6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Because the playing style defines the genre?

Lobomov, JL_LI, Tony474 and 1 other person like this.
  7. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Don't ask me, I like to play thrash metal blues, with interludes of jazz folk and country rock

SixgunElectric and WetBandit like this.
  8. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I'm a country purist. If I go to see a country band (rare) & the guitarist starts tapping, I would walk out.
    Most guitarists my age are traditionalists. We don't wanna hear metal mixed into country. We wanna hear COUNTRY.

burtf51 likes this.
  9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

The guitar parts/soloing are the least of my worries with the direction of country music these days.

Flat6Driver and WetBandit like this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's ridiculous, a lot of metal has string bending.

mitchfinck and blowtorch like this.
  11. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

"genre" and "style" are really close terms.

So, it's almost obvious why Chicago Blues doesn't have a lot of dropped C, 7-string guitars playing through Triple Rectifiers.

The question posed really is more of a statement about being bored with traditional genres.

Personally, I love traditional genres. I like new ones being created, too - but there is a beauty to tradition and structure.

ponce likes this.
  12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

It's the fans. Fans of specific genres want their music to sound a certain way and never deviate from it. The bands are slaves to the fans, so they must stay in their lane.

13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

So you're not into the modern rap-country?

Country music is the only genre that really makes any money these days. Even pop is dying. But slick modern radio bro-country garbage is making a killing. Country music is the new glam spandex metal of the 80s. Chicks love any song about dancing on tailgates in cut-off shorts. And of chicks like it, dudes will follow. It's no surprise to see honks from other genres try their hands at the formulaic current country formula and have it work.

14. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

This I why Rock n roll is the ultimate musical concept/mindset...

Rule #1 in rock... there are no rules!

Do what you like, when you like.

You can never be pigeonholed or painted into a musical corner, because rock isn't really a genre, it's a musical and social attitude.

Too many people forget this.

Guys that say they can't play any other genre is probably because they can't "feel" it... and thus their brain has nothing to communicate to their hands. I had that issue (with my right hand especially) trying to play some funk songs... getting that loose choppy picking/strumming down was not difficult at all once I allowed myself to "feel" the way it should sound.

That's the kind of "emotion" that matters to me... the kind that allows you to feel a sound and your body kind of just follows and knows what to do...

Obviously you aren't just gonna pick up the guitar and be Nile Rodgers because you are feeling funky... you DO have to learn how to play technique wise.

But once you open up your mind to feeling what you are trying to play, you will find it not only pretty effortless, but incredibly FUN...

If I can "feel" it I'm gonna play it...

And for me, that's what it's all about.

SixgunElectric likes this.
  15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Greg_L likes this.
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

These colors don't run! Yeeehaw sisterwife!

17. WetBandit

Any real redneck knows your trucks tailgate got ripped off, last year when you tried pulling that stump out of the ground...;):lol:

There aren't any tailgates to be dancing on...lol!

The reasons "country" is in the shape it's in are many.

But one is pretty simple and clear... the "country" way of life doesn't exist anymore at least not on any scale large enough to make commercial music pandering to it. Technology has ensured that.

We can all make "country" sounds on guitar, the things that are staples in the genre... unison bends etc... but the difference between "then" and now, is that it was once a real way of life, and now its merely a lifestyle...

It's been romanticized just like pirates or warfare.... its "gone Hollywood"

Used to be "country" folks were poor and limited in "social range"... now the only people living in "the country" are people who are wealthy enough to be that far from the hustle and bustle of town and current society.

You don't really see any "poor" farmers anymore... they are all in $80k dually's and riding a $200k tractor or combine.

(I live in the bible belt) and I find it amusing and pretty comical that the vast majority of church goers are primarily "country" fans... when the bulk of the lyrical content is about drinking, partying, sex...etc.

The hard rock fans are in the minority around here lol!

If you wanna make some money... get yourself some bedazzled Jeans', some Justin's boots, a Stetson hat and a $100 dollar flannel shirt... then find yourself one of the 1000s... of "songwriters" in Nashville and take the dive.

Oh yea, and if you wanna be an "outlaw" or a "rebel".... simply grow a beard! And buy some bird feathers and beads and dream catchers, and turquoise stones to apply to peices of your clothing... especially your hat!

It also helps if you run that hat over a few times in the driveway with the truck.

Golly.. I could go on about it all day...

Maybe make a new thread just to list "country" cliches... I've probably got enough to overload the TDPRI servers (shouldn't take many :twisted::lol:)

I digress...

18. WetBandit

Are you referring to Metallica's 5th member?

SixgunElectric likes this.
  19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Except for the "poor farmer" part, I agree with all that. Country is a total joke. I won't expand the church-goer part. That'll get me banned. :lol:

Lobomov likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

That's why there are genres!
    To celebrate ( not homogenize) the variety in music!

(Does not mean you can't be fluent in playing different genres...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.