Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is every Classic Vibe 50's a boat anchor?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by GuitarJonz, Feb 19, 2017.

1. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    I am happy to report that he is extremely pleased with it. He was surprised that the intonation was set perfectly from the factory and is blown away by it as we all are with our CV's. I guess I need a CVC AND a CV Thinline to complete my collection of the wonderful CV Tele lineup. Here is a pic he sent me

20170315_0933361.jpg

nicod98 and Route67 like this.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    ...and wider nut width (1.650"), which matches the MIM and American Standards.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Heavy guitars sure can have a bigger, more powerful voice.

I think if they were light, they'd just fly out of the stores, and then at some point everyone would get bored with the way so many light ones sounded and they'd move on to SGs or Jazzmasters or whatever the next flavor of the week is. Accordions or something.

The fact that they're heavy but sound decent, gets people's minds working along other planes. Maybe light is not the panacea some say it is, but only an ADA adaptation for old players with screwed up lumbar and/or cervical spines.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I personally liked the neck on the CV Thinline better than its bretheren (except that it is SO PALE) and wondered why. I need to check out what you're saying.

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I got a 2010 VB this week and it is light, moreso than my MIJ, which I thought of as wonderfully light. No scales so I can't give you a number. Really resonant unplugged, but it might actually be too light. I don't know whether it's the '9s the guy put on, or the guitar in general, but I was expecting more from the pickups, especially the bridge. It just doesn't seem very substantial. This might be a perfect opportunity to put a humbucker in the neck, liven things up a bit. It does have a beautiful flame neck though, which is overall very comfy, and nothing like the one on a CVC I had.

6. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Try regular light gauge 10-46; my VB came with 9-42 from the factory and it was very thin in tone, until the switch up. I'm happy it came with extra light originally, as it probably resulted in the guitar remaining in store; very rare to find anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Mr Scallywag likes this.

7. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    There is a Butterscotch CV50s that just appeared in my local shop new, somewhere around under 8lbs; don't know the weight exactly but it had fingerprints all over it from previous customers and probably won't last long before being sold. Beautifully finished. $539 Canadian new; still a bargain.

8. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    You're right, heavier string are the way to go. Used CVs aren't that rare here but are usually priced very high, around MIM territory, but not this one thankfully. Australia is like Canada, we look at the American market enviously. The guy didn't quite know what he had - i got it for half the price I sold my CVC a couple of months ago - said he could have sold it five times over in the half a day it was up, had one guy threatening legal action. Now, it's a nice guitar, but releasing the hounds for? I dunno...

Route67 likes this.

9. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    IMG_5595.PNG
    Finally changed my VB CV50s from black pickguard to white. What a relief. Took it in to my veteran guitar tech today and he remarked on the neck "beautiful... just beautiful". He's a man of few words, and doesn't keep up much with latest models of guitars, instead usually preoccupied with older Martins and Larrivees. I know he loves a well done maple neck though. This Telecaster is not weighty or featherweight. Balanced, perfect.

irie, rls1952 and YOSTINATOR like this.

10. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    I've been completely wrong about this guitar; it's a daily player together with my CV Tele vintage blonde. Just for the record. Apologies for the necro post.

YOSTINATOR likes this.

11. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    It's a sign! I ordered one this morning... [​IMG][​IMG]

Route67 likes this.

12. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Beauty. Maple boards are addictive with those high quality Classic Vibe pickups.

YOSTINATOR likes this.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I have the Oly white Strat and love it! Doesn't seem like an anchor to me....

Route67 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.