Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is every Classic Vibe 50's a boat anchor?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by GuitarJonz, Feb 19, 2017.

1. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    When I first unpacked this 9lb VB, I could tell it was heavier than my 7lbs 13oz BB. Now after playing them side by side they feel only very slightly different in weight.

Can I just say again that these Classic Vibe Telecasters feel, sound, and look like a $1,200-$1,500 guitar? I must admit I was a bit worried that my new VB might be a somewhat inferior guitar to my BB just based on potential production inconsistencies...... but by damn they are IDENTICAL in fit/finish/feel/playability... my advice to anyone that likes Teles is to snag up as many of these CV Teles as they can because they are going to be legendary one day!!!

nicod98 and Route67 like this.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    If everyone reports a cv guitar as being heavier than my cv bass, something is wrong.
    I suggest the reports.

3. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Dense Pine VS. Basswood/Alder

I find it unsurprising

4. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yes, just as a point of reference my Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster from 2013 is a different beast altogether, and not just because it's a Strat as opposed to a Tele. The Tele is on a different level altogether. Thinner finish, better wood. Huge difference. I used to think my Strat was good; it looks good, it's great art but lacks the string and note separation and clear bell like tone of the 50s VB

mikelefty47 and YOSTINATOR like this.

5. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    IMG_4422.PNG
    Alder with a hard impervious finish. Now it's humbug

alainvey, studio1087 and YOSTINATOR like this.

6. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    And it is that note separation that has turned this 20 + year player into a die hard Tele fan! I never felt any desire to own let alone play a Telecaster until the end of last summer. I went to see the 80's Hair Metal band KIX at a club here in SLC, UT. Brian Forsythe played a Telecaster the whole show and I was in awe of his guitar tone... it was raw, beautiful, and had so much clarity and note separation, even under hair band distortion. I got right into the mindset that I had to buy a Tele, which eventually led me to the Classic Vibes. I have to thank Brian Forsythe and all of the rave reviews I came across on the forums

kix20.jpg

Route67 likes this.

7. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    She is perdy!! I need to try a CV strat. Here is my '15 American Standard!

FB_IMG_1475202532460.jpg

nicod98 and Route67 like this.

8. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    ^^^ That's what I need is an ASS. Oops that came out wrong - American Standard Stratocaster

With regard to CV 50s Strats, I don't know for sure if mine is alder wood for the body, the regular burst finished ones probably are, but considering the special colour of mine, may not be hard to believe it's made of lesser quality wood, considering the give and take of features and price points. Give with one hand and take with another. There is an old thread here regarding review of the CV Strat and the reviewer describes it as "plinky", lack of focus or sustain behind the note. Mine fits that description.

With apologies off topic

9. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    The "A.S.S." in Olympic White was always my dream Strat! In 2015 that dream came true. It is a phenomenal guitar, and my CV Teles hang with it easily

Route67 likes this.

10. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Right on, that's an ultimate colour for that guitar too in my view.

YOSTINATOR likes this.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I like it... Sitting in the middle of the couch, between you and your partner... it even has its own pillow to lean to. :cool:

YOSTINATOR likes this.

12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    My '07 CV 50s Strat had similar tendencies. A GFS steel string block solved my problems. Just aheads up... not trying to derail!

YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

13. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks Dan,

The thread mentioned earlier is titled 'Classic Vibe review' in the Stratocaster discussion forum; has some interesting discussion there, will be old news to you, but worth to relate here again to anyone that has a CV Strat that requires improvement to be up to par with the CV Tele.

LAGinz, robinsong and YOSTINATOR like this.

14. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2010
    North Dakota
    My nephew bought a CV50 tele. It weighed in at 6.5 lbs or a little less on my digital fish scale.

I used to weigh everything because of a bad back. Incidentally the same shop had a Baja that weighed the same or give/take an ounce or two.

Both were beautifully balanced (not neck heavy).

Route67 likes this.

15. pablodius

pablodius NEW MEMBER!

Mar 7, 2017
    Chicago
    I just weighed my 2011 vintage blonde and it is 7.6 lbs. I always considered it to be a very light guitar until I came across a custom built pine tele that I snagged. It weighs in at 6.4 lbs.

YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    My avatar photo is my CV Tele. It's about 7 years old (I think). Just under 7 pounds.

[​IMG]

DanDII, YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

17. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2009
    Montreal
    I wanted a CV Tele two weeks ago but the ones I found were much too heavy for me! Too bad! I passed! Maybe a CV thinline would be right.

18. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yes, the CV Tele Thinline really is the hot ticket with regard to light weight and performance. It has a very nice v shape neck that some prefer. A little more expensive new than the solid bodied CV 50s. Has the A5 pickups.

YOSTINATOR likes this.

19. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    A buddy of mine just ordered a new CV Thinline because of my feedback on the CV 50's and his desire to have a semi hollow Tele. I can't wait to hear his thoughts on it and get some pics

Route67 likes this.

20. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Look forward to that report, thanks Yos ;)

YOSTINATOR likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.