Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is every Classic Vibe 50's a boat anchor?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by GuitarJonz, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Yes indeed, haven't changed a thing except the strings every so often! I use it for a fair amount of work and the colour doesn't bother me that much.

For a BSB-ish finish I have a Fender Japan TL52-US, a very fine guitar indeed, which also earns me a few crusts.

Route67 likes this.

2. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Maybe I will go white to keep you guys from losing your lunch lol

theprofessor likes this.

3. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm with Boris on this one.
    with a plain white pickguard you can actually estimate how much Vintage Blonde hue there really is.

[​IMG] CV50.jpg

like ... if you want to look thinner, let a fat person stand beside you ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    studio1087 and YOSTINATOR like this.

4. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah, white looks good. Nothing like a Fender w/white pickguard

YOSTINATOR likes this.

5. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Your Fender reissue must be a nice guitar. If you have a picture of it to post here that would be awesome! Do you think type of body wood can make much of a difference to tone, as well as weight? I had mentioned I had a 6.5lb CV Strat that didn't have that much sustain behind the note; maybe due to lack of weight.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

6. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    I heard of color variations on the Vintage Blondes... some more white and some more beige.. I will post pics upon arrival and may ask for some opinions on various pg's

Route67 likes this.

7. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    There are so many variables involved, of which the type of wood and body weight are only two factors. I've found that simply swapping bridge saddles can make a difference to tone and sustain. My Music Man Silhouette weighs spot-on 6 lbs but sustains like a bastard. Some other weightier instruments I possess are average to so-so. It's clearly the individual physics of each guitar that dictate its characteristics.

Regarding the Japanese '52, it doesn't really belong in this thread, but since you ask, here it is. This is the website pic of the guy I bought it from, John Blackman of Far East Guitars, who sourced used instruments in Japan and imported them privately to the UK. He's no longer in business, having retired a while ago.

TL-72US.jpg

studio1087 and Route67 like this.

8. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    Interesting. I had a Japanese black guard just like the one above, and it weighed 9.5 pounds. But it sounded so good that it brought me into the tele camp. I sold it in a massive gear dump off for financial reasons. Wish I still had it. I play sitting down so it didn't matter too terribly much. My problem with heavy guitars is injuring my index finger on the necks when I pick them up. I have something going on in my hands that they are prone to burst blood vessels from the stupidest mundane reasons, pick up a water gallon jug wrong, pick up guitar by the neck and the edge of the fingerboard hits just the right spot. Guitars that weigh less than 7 pounds don't do this as easily.

my avatar is a 2008 VB CV50 bought NOS in 2010 that weighed 8 pounds 8.0 ounces with the maple neck and 8 pounds 9.7 ounces with the rosewood neck from a CVC60. It is ok for me as I am very careful these days with my left hand. Still, I used to have a Nash T-63 that weighed 6 pounds 5.6 ounces and I really really miss that guitar but not enough to pay what people want for them today. It sold in 9 minutes after I put it on TGP back in 2008

I don't call it (CV50) a boat anchor but it is definitely at the top of the range I find acceptable. I've had a slew of '80s and '90s fenders that weighed more and in some cases a lot more. Anything over 9.5 is a boat anchor for me. 10 pounds is right out, sire.

Route67 likes this.

9. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I'd consider that heavy indeed. My example is, give or take, about the same as my CV50 at around the 8-lb mark, maybe just a smidgeon less. The red ESP in my avatar pic is noticeably heavier at 8 1/2 lb, but still manageable. I only have one really heavy guitar, a Strat partscaster with a hand-made (not CNC-ed) northern hard ash body by the Scottish luthier Ramsay Strachan (Loristra), Kinman AVn-Trad Mk II pickups and Callaham hardware; it must approach or even exceed 11 lbs in weight. It sounds glorious but I rarely even pick it up these days.

10. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Love that tortoise-shell on the VB!
    ... actually just got one and am strongly considering it!

-capt p

YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    Thanks! I had that guard in the parts drawer forever until I got the CV.

Funny, the CV is 1 of 3 Asian guitars left in the herd. I've been trying to thin the herd over the past few decades :rolleyes: and that CV has maintained its place while some very nice American, Asian, and Mexican guitars haven't. An 80s Fernandes Thinline and an '03 Fernandes Strat both were offed before the CV. For the money I have never bought a guitar as competent as the CV.

Say what you will about Chinese manufacturing. The CVs are the exception to the rule. ;)

Here's a shot of the collection circa '09. The Fernandes 2003 LE is in the upper left the CV in the lower right. Other the the CV 50s Tele and the refin'd Gibson BFG (on lower row, 2d from the left) all of the others have found new homes. Those that have left were mainly Japanese and American made with the MIM Cray as the odd man out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    studio1087, Route67 and YOSTINATOR like this.

12. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I remember when these first came out they were light! Seemed to get heavier over the years.

13. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Particularly the CV Teles!

14. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Sorry it took me so long to get around to responding, i don't log into the tdpri too often anymore. i'd have to say the VB is a little hotter, a little more modern sounding than the BSB (to my ears anyway). Not to say the BSB isn't still a great sounding and versatile guitar.

Route67 likes this.

15. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading recently that the BSBs and VBs are now getting the same pickups, the A3s if memory serves. I love the sound of my VB but I would have preferred the BSB's appearance had it been available when I got my CV; however, back then it had yet to be introduced. Not that that has anything to do with the physical weight of the instruments, but just saying...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Route67 likes this.

16. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    I'm still trying to reconcile the possibilities of hard rock sound with the old fashioned colour of my VB. I feel like a kid back in the late sixties contemplating painting over the Blonde with some wild colour(s) or even "paint it black" (wouldn't)!
    Sorry off topic

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My local GC just got a few in; previously they'd only had CV Strats. Every one I picked up was heavy as hell.

Route67 likes this.

18. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah

19. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Yo Route67, I am still tempted to slap a mint green guard on it.. lol

Route67 and Bruxist like this.

20. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yos, how do your two CVs feel for difference in weight? Is it very noticeable to you? I ask because I'll probably be looking at a BSB at 9lbs going the other way. Thanks

YOSTINATOR likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.