Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why is every Classic Vibe 50's a boat anchor?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by GuitarJonz, Feb 19, 2017.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Been looking around occasionally at these. Sweetwater is cool, in that they publish the weights of guitars. I checked a few weeks ago, and all 4 available were 8.5 to 9.5 lbs. Checked today, and 3 were above 9 lbs, with one at 10 lbs . I always knew that pine was softer, but never associated pine with heavy guitars. I like my teles at 7.5 or less, were there any 50's Classic Vibes in that range?

Freoguitar and wayloncash like this.

2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I've often wondered that about some of the teles....I've had 2 of the CV strats and they were nice and light.

3. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    I checked out a couple of the BSB teles over the last couple of years in my local shop and they were heavy beasts. No doubt the lighter ones at Sweetwater will sell first, and the heavy ones remain in stock on display. I lucked out recently and bought one which is not too heavy and not too light (one of my cv strats is so light it doesn't resonate like the other two - about 6.5 lbs). I'll have to put my Tele on an accurate scale, but it's probably around 8lbs. I think with pine wood if it's properly dried will blow any alder guitar out of the water for fat tone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    KDawg64 and mikelefty47 like this.

4. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yep, every one of them I've had in my hands was heavy.

5. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Mine weighs 9.6 lbs. I don't mind though because it has killer tone.

TeleOrLes, Route67 and Chicago Matt like this.

6. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    Same with the one I owned for over a year until I had to sell it. Extremely heavy. My current Korean tele knock off (my avatar) is very light weight and so comfortable to play I'll never sell it.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I guess I wouldn't put 8.5 lbs in boat anchor territory. 7.5-8.5 is kind of a sweet spot for guitars for me. Just think, if you were on the LP forum, you'd be crowing how you found a featherweight one at 8.5 . . .

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I've got a couple of early ones that are in the low seven pound range. Seems like they keep getting heavier as time goes by.

Freoguitar, studio1087 and Route67 like this.

9. riff

riff Tele-Meister

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    Totally agree. My Baja is 8lbs 13oz and I don't consider that heavy.

Route67, JustABluesGuy, qblue and 3 others like this.

10. BlueCollarBoy

BlueCollarBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Eminence, Ky
    I reallly don't get the weight thing? I've never gigged with a guitar that I thought was too heavy, but I have gigged with guitars that were too light and constantly neck dove.

Badspike, 8barlouie, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Was playing one the other day at sam ash in LA that was as light or maybe a bit lighter than my classic 50's, which is 7 Lbs 13oz. I also played one there a few years back that was even lighter. I remember thinking it had to be close to 7 Lbs or 7 even. I almost bought that one. Wish i had. These were both classic vibe 50s butterscotch. really nice teles, but i have a classic 50's MIM so i really can't justify it.

Route67 likes this.

12. riff

riff Tele-Meister

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    I had an 11 lb LP Custom once. That was heavy. Never owned a too heavy Tele.

drlucky and Uncle Mui like this.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Seems the early ones were lighter. My VB is 8 lbs 3 oz and many folks were saying theirs were under 8 lbs. Maybe they sourced from a different supplier and got denser pine? The weight increase seemed to happen when the BSB version came out.

Route67 likes this.

14. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    10 lbs for a tele is nuts. I have a sugar pine partscaster that is sub 7 but definitely depends on the type of pine

15. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    My 2010 CV-50 White Tele is 8 lbs., exactly. I think they have gotten heavier, on average, as time has passed.. I just finished my first parts-caster using a 3 lb. Paulowina GFS body. Even with the big fat Allparts neck, the finished tele only weighs 6 lbs, on the nose. It will make a big difference to me, [I'm almost 70 yrs old], when playing a 3 to 4 hour gig. And it sounds amazing with CS. '51 Nocasters in it.

drlucky and Route67 like this.

16. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Here in Canada we know a lot of our best wood goes to the far east, but maybe it doesn't get to dry out completely before manufacture. I've read the story about old dried out Les Pauls and how they can resonate, but with a poly finish the wood may not be able to dry out completely. The pine I see here in B.C. when dry is fairly light in weight, and it's a wood with lots of pitch, and when that crystalizes some say makes for excellent tone wood.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    1hawkguy likes this.

17. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    My 2016 BB CV Tele is 7 lbs. 13 oz. 20161208_224226.jpg

Route67 likes this.

18. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    IMG_4580.PNG On an old, naturally reliced mahogany chair from the 1950s, and with an invitation to Yos to post a close up of his beautiful BSB

old soul and YOSTINATOR like this.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Different average material density, apples and oranges. That's like saying a paper airplane with a brick tied to it is "light" because it weighs less than a Les Paul. :D

Start around 2:30:

If you like 8 lb Teles that's fine, I just don't think it's what most people would call light.

I prefer mine right around 7 lb. 7.5 is 'heavy'. 6.75 is 'nice'.

RoyBGood and NashvilleDeluxe like this.

20. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Oh man! U are giving me VB GAS!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.