Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Illinois is a special state

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    The Shure SM57 microphone which is the most popular microphone for recording the electric guitar was invented in Illinois. It is the birth state of the iconic microphone.

2. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    Well then....Hail to Illinois!

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    That is a good thing but I try to stay out of Illinois. I pass through it going from Alabama to St Louis. They recently raised their low speed limits making it more pleasant to drive through.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You missed the state love/hate thread trend...but Yay, Illinoise..

5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Yep, if you make sure you have 3/4 tank of gas in Paducah and don’t drink too much and cross into St Louis from I-70 you can be out of Illinois in about three hours. That is a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had a good time in Chicagoland, but I ran off to Wisconsin for a few days.

Sconnie likes this.
  7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yes, we’ll thats one good thing about Illinois. Actually there are a lot of good things about it if you can just forget about the crooked politicians and corruption.

On a related note, Heil mics are also made in Illinois, and they are also some of the best mics out there.

Not sure what it is about mics and Illinois......

I’m proud to have those companies here.

8. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I new a girl from Illinois. Sometimes, I miss her. Or just the much younger me.

9. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    Chicago in my opinion has the best beef sandwich which I think surpasses the Philly cheesesteak

OldDude2 and JazzboxBlues like this.
  10. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    You can't get food anywhere else like the stuff we have here. Maxwell Polish, Chicago style hot dogs (Similar to an American style) Italian beef, deep dish pizza, bbq, hell even burgers now with portillos. Everything else about the state can go in the trash. I wish they would keep the 1900's buildings but instead they're tearing them down for new apartment complexes.

OldDude2 likes this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Chicago, otherwise no thanks.

12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have always wanted to visit Chicago.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    The 56 was the predecessor to the 57. That was a great mic. Ask Paul Butterfield.
    But, Illinois has the biggest Pyramids this side of the atlantic.

14. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

Washburn is from Chicago founded 1893. I have one of the last ones made in the State.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    My brother lives there.

He hates it (work's for Sears).

16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penns Wood
    According to road signs I see in Illinois, it seems that they take highway worker safety very seriously, and I like that.

17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Spent a couple of days in Chicago before we headed off down Route 66. What we saw of Illinois seemed fine. then again, we were just passing through.....

Not sure that the presence of a microphone manufacturer qualifies anywhere as being "special". Still, if microphones are your "thing", why not....?

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Judging from my late uncle's career, I think 1960s - 70s mall expansions through 1980s introducing Discover Card was the last good time to work for Sears.

This could be the non-singer in me, but if Illinois gets credit for the Sure mic, Janesville, WI needs credit for Gibbs Manufacturing and what was/is OC Electronics and Accutronics, but I believe Accutronics was also in IL. When I was a kid I know that company as what made organs and surf music sound cool. When I drove trucks after high school saw the "Made by Beautiful Woman in Janesville" stickers and those women when I went there.

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I will forever remember Illinois as the place where I got these directions:

"Stay straight down this road - several miles. Not sure how far. Turn right at the tree. You can't miss it."

And I found the place too.

20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Ok. Someone once upon a time invented a ubiquitous microphone. On the great butcher's scale of pros and cons, I don't think that is a justification for all the other things that make Illinois suck.

(I was born and raised there so take your counterpoint and get off my lawn).

thegeezer and Georox like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.