Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Why have BOSS given up on the mighty BR series multi-trackers?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by adamlovesgin, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I would can the BR line many things but 'mighty' with its surface mount 'technology' would not be one.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I use a Zoom R24 to record, but I'll readily admit that a good interface and DAW on a computer does everything a standalone can do and more. I just don't want to move my computer into the music room, and I like being separated from my email, web browser, etc. so I can focus on music. (Sure, I could just turn off the network device while recording, but the temptation is there.)

It's weird - everyone I know either records on a computer, or on some old tape machine! The digital recording devices are stuck in between... not "vintage," but also not really "modern." The one major advantage they have is portability, but if you have a nice enough laptop you can take your DAW with you too. Still, it's nice to be able to stuff a Tascam DP008 or Zoom H2 into a bag to go camping.

Johnson johnson likes this.

3. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Can a Boss BR be hacked so its inputs can feed a laptop? Would be great if it could. Then my BR1600 could become a fine 8 input A/D converter.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I think I did this with a midi converter before, but don't remember details other than 'world clock' was a pain.

6. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I own a BR-1200 it works . hat the interface, no screen.
    It does do a nice jobs of recording
    editing is clunky at best

I have been using reason on macs and p.c.'s now the reason records.... That all I use. The visual of a daw is one of the things that the br-1200 ... never mind.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Yep.. it's got standard USB audio support

I use my iPad with a Yamaha MG10XU mixer/interface with in built fx.., sounds great.

There are other DAWs like Auria for iPad and the Yamaha mixer came with a Cubase LE app activation.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

9. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I have a BR80 that I mainly use for live demos. It does loads of other stuff I haven't fully figured out!

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    The Boss BR products fit the scene nicely when they arrived, they served the greater good, they were the advanced technology . But when we all jumped into the "common files" camp Boss overnight became just shy of irrelevant.

Zoom decided to go with the "wave" format for the desk top and guess what, they are still relevant.

I loved the Boss gear I had early on, still own two which are tucked away somewhere, but I never quite understood the significance of the proprietary recording format and bringing it forward with new models.

adamlovesgin and SolidSteak like this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

If I'm not mistaken my BR1600 can save as .wav files. But if I have multiple tracks I need to save each one separately if I want to share them and have another person with Logic or whatever be able to manipulate the tracks separately.

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Zoom went to recording in wav format, each track is it's own neat little wav file , you can grab one or all and export them into the DAW.

The BR units, yes many of the later series can SAVE tracks as a wav file , or even export as an MP3 , but it was another task. A conversion operation. I bought my daughter one of them and it drives her crazy, she records her penned keyboard songs and has to go thru a process to make them PC usable. This is the part I never understood with Boss. The whole world is working with common files , well..not everyone evidently ! They made great products though.

Many of the later TASCAM products did the same thing. Tascam, Boss, same people.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

13. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

You're right- it's at the save step.

14. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    A normal USB audio interface doesn't include the real-time amp/FX modelling of the BR800. I know I keep saying it but to apply the same in a DAW at the point of recording WILL induce latency.

It just will, I have no idea why people are saying it wont :(

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

adamlovesgin-- I was in band where the drummer had a full studio setup on his PC and it had all kinds of latency problems....a very slight delay from when you hit a note to where it was laid down. But eventually he was able to fix it. I think the gist of the ongoing debate is that sometimes there can be latency issues, but it is also often true that with the right setup there's no latency at all. I also agree with the point you're making that one advantage of the BOSS machines is that they were put together at the Boss factory-- software and hardware-- to work great right out of the box. One of the downsides of building your own is dealing with weird incompatibilities. Someday if I ever want to put together a DAW system based on a Mac or PC I will probably go to somewhere like Sweetwater and ask them to sell me a package that they can vouch for will work really well right out of the box. In my case I don't need a zillion effects patches or digital sounds so a simple starter system that allows me to do basic recording, adding a few simple effects, mixing, and mastering would probably make me happy. For my own home projects my Boss BR1600 really worked great. The only real downside was when I wanted to share tracks with friends who work in the music industry and use stuff like Logic.

In many cases I suspect the source of the latency problem is somewhere in the computer-- how the sound card talks to the USB port, and whether the hardware, BIOS, etc., is fully compatible with the software. A Mac is typically going to have less problems along these lines because they really control their hardware specs and their software specs very closely. PCs have much more variability in execution and with the complexity of today's software it's hard to fully debug to make sure things will work perfectly on every variant on the market.

SolidSteak and adamlovesgin like this.

16. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Don't mean to hijack, but a UAD Apollo interface can use UAD plug-ins (Unison pre's, amp sims, FX) with zero latency. Also the latest release of Studio One has dramatically reduced latency vs recent versions.

ac15 likes this.

17. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I bought my Korg D1600 hard disc recorder for like 2k back in well, 2000.

Checked eBay and they only fetch around $200 now!

Much prefer a laptop with Logic.

18. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yep, I use one and get no latency at all.

Truth be told, when I was using the Apogee One for my interface, I had no latency issues either.

But those UAD plug- ins are fabulous.

19. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

ac15, what do you use for your A/D interface? I'm thinking of using GarageBand on the Mac my wife is letting me use. If I can get about 6 inputs in, both XLR and 1/4", that would be good enough for doing band rehearsal recordings and then using the wizardry of editing to make them sound like decent demos. Maybe I would need to update to Logic to handle multiple, simultaneous inputs....

20. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

I've been very happy with the Zoom R16 8 track recorder for many years. Previously I had the Zoom MRS 1044 recorder, but wanted to upgrade from 2 to 8 simultaneous inputs.
    My Zoom R16 uses a 2GB memory card, not a hard drive. It still sells new for the $400 I paid for it years ago.

It can also be used as a DAW but I can't stand any latency whatever when I record, so I use it as a stand alone recorder and download the tracks to the computer for editing. (I just put the recorder's memory card in my computer's card reader to download the tracks.) My lips and fingers have to match what's coming through my headphones exactly or my timing goes off. I haven't tried lately but the only zero latency recording I have found was recording to a recorder and using headphones on the recorder. All of my attempts to record to a computer had some latency. I have the output on the Zoom routed to my computer for playback on my computer speakers if I want, but have to keep the computer speakers off when I record.

I can add a pedal to my guitar and dial in some decent distortion and guitar sounds on the Zoom R16 on one of the inputs. I have done all my recording directly to the Zoom for the past several years. My big tube amps are used as stands for the Zoom, drum machine, voacal pre amp, tuner, etc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    adamlovesgin likes this.

21. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Chris, I use an Apollo Twin from Universal Audio (UAD).

Before that, I was using (and still have) the Apogee One. I had no issues with latency with either.

They're both excellent, but I was won over by the plugins available with the Apollo.

However, these each only have a couple of inputs. Not sure it would suit your needs for as many inputs as you need, but maybe people have workarounds for that that I am not aware of (aside from just buying an interface with more inputs).

By the way, I think you could easily do what you need using GarageBand without the need to upgrade to Logic. I use Logic now, but I am someone who thinks GarageBand is super cool and it ain't a toy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.