Why has blues declined?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Mar 20, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Maybe the fact that it’s like 90 years old? Musical genres don’t stay hip forever. People in general enjoy new things. I don’t mean to denigrate blues as a genre but you’re not gonna hear much innovation anymore for a style that old, it’s a pretty dry well at this point. I’m not trying to put it down, but the general population wants new and fresh and that’s two things the blues ain’t.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There's no novelty left. Same with jazz. They have become slavish copies of old recordings and motifs. SRV was the last interesting thing that happened in blues. DGMW, I'm the biggest blues fan around. But, I fear it has come and gone.

Rumblur likes this.
  3. Domz

Domz TDPRI Member

Ahem, Gary Clark Jr.

The blues never goes anywhere, it just keeps evolving. Once all there were were acoustic guitars, now we have iPads. My current project is hard blues hip hop. The blues can show up in hip hop, funk, soul, rock etc. The recipe of 12 bars & I/IV/V might look simple on paper but pulling it off all comes down to the chef.

4. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been listening to it damn near every day for at least 35 years. It’s going nowhere in my world.

Misty Mountain and Jim622 like this.
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, I'll bite. I LOVE the Blues! Those minor keys really stir the soul.

Magnum721 and Jim622 like this.
  6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I've noticed certain people find Blues lyrics offensive. (I don't get it, especially with Rap's popularity.)
    They don't seem to understand what era the music came from and what people were like then and why they spoke the way they did.
    They don't seem to understand that most people playing Blues today aren't making a statement about how they personally think or feel.

I used to host a Monday jam night for Blues fans. A college town. We did it for 3 years. It was fun. People enjoyed themselves and local musicians had a place to jam.
    Then a group of people started complaining to the club manager about the lyric content. I guess referring to your wife or girlfriend as "my babe" is offensive to some people. Some letters were written to the local paper complaining about the lyrics, claiming they were sexist and so were we for performing blues songs.
    The club owner gave in to the pressure and cancelled Blues night.
    Monday used to be his cash cow every week. Now he doesn't open on Mondays at all and I heard he's trying to sell the place.

Power to the people.

7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got the blues. I got 'em bad.

And blues is like Latin. Latin is not a dead language; it lives on in most of the languages of the western world. Blues will live on in most of the music of the world.

8. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I don’t think it’s declined, it’s all perspective.
    If you think that what Srv, or anybody with an electric guitar did that people called blues in the last 30 years defines the genre,
    Then I can see your point. But to me, that’s just second or third generation blues,
    A rock and roll, blues hybridization.

But in any case, the internet totally reeks of people playing the stuff.
    Dutch guys with resonators singing in American blues accents.
    Australian guys with lap slides singing in american accents.
    Chinese guys playing bottleneck singing in hilarious American accents.

Many of them wear old style suits, and blues hats if that’s what it takes to be authentic.
    Check out the internet man.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    verb boten and Magnum721 like this.
  9. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds like the 'politically correct crowd' at work. Most people don't realize that they are being cowed by just a few people who know how to use bullying to achieve their end goal. He should have stood his ground.

10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I just got back from a blues jam that was pretty well attended, and is every week. Blues has never been in the mainstream, not in my lifetime, anyway.

11. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

So apparently blues has got a 'use by date'. :confused:
    Once all the 'original' bluesmen have left (and there aren't many still around), the genre's gonna die and any white boy still playing it is going to be viewed in the same way as a city slicker who buys used Levis and sprays his 4x4 with mud to look good in the car park on a Monday morning.
    No legitimacy if they never picked cotton, lived in a ramshackle wood cabin with a rocking chair on the verandah and played a beat up guitar with two broken strings knotted together. Strange how Seasick Steve was hailed as a blues cousin until his real history was revealed and his musical coach turned into a pumpkin at midnight.
    No, sir, I reckon blues is going to remain healthy in the same way as classical music & flamenco - or even healthier - as it's not condemned to be played exactly the same way for centuries.

Above all slightly tongue in cheek. :)

telestratosonic and PlainAllman like this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe if somebody came up with an App for phones that had Blues content, the millennials and younger might take notice.
    In the 90s we saw an emergence in acoustic guitars music, helped re-develop the littler models BTW and Eric Clapton did a great deal also BUT he got exposure, so too the blues, JJ Cale and Vinyl. It's a matter of exposure to the masses IMHO.

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Ahem, nope. Not true at all.
    Each and every style of music has its periodical ups and downs of popularity. Swing isn't dead either. Same with Soul, Rockabilly, Reggae or whatever comes to your mind.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

When did it peak?.... then start this perceived decline?...;)

I think it's always been around.... the last guitar kid who was here to collect a squire that I set up for him sat here and played the kind of blues that clapton sounds like...strat blues. pieces that he had put together himself... the guitar sounded better than when I was playing it...:lol:

all he talked about was blues..... I gave him my copy of Larry's book,,,, here kid, this might interest you... absorb this,,,:cool:

there is hope..:)

PlainAllman, drlucky and tidalcast like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's just waiting for the next blues revival, like the one in the sixties.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Using 5 notes instead of 7.
    Like an artist never using red.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yeah. You never hear any blues influence in modern songs...

ricknbaker likes this.
  18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Holy rash generalisation and sweeping statement Batman!

PlainAllman and tidalcast like this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Blues will always be around.

But after a few decades of hearing it, I'll admit that it kind of bores me anymore.

Other styles of music just interest me a lot more.

20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Yip! Yip! YEE!

I listened to British Blues (Zep/Stones/Mayall/Fleetwood Mac) and Butterfield Blues Band as a kid and that's what I thought the blues were. Then I met a guy after college and went to blues jams at his house on and off for like 30 years. That was both cool, because one could participate without REALLY knowing the song (most of the time) and somewhat stifling after awhile due to the lack of variety.

I find that when I'm sitting around noodling, which is almost constantly when I'm at home, those sorts of things come out in my playing more frequently than a too-cool-for-blues cat such as myself would like to admit. I've also written a couple tunes that sound bluesy but aren't strict imitations of any particular song, which I'm proud of in my own mind. Get a sound and make something slightly original. I'm finding that easier these days.

One thing about the blues I can relate to is getting up in the morning about the break of day. I am an early riser. In fact it's 3 AM and WTF am I doing? I need to go back to bed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.