Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Because we have a mix of practicing experts, and neophytes sharing information and misinformation on a forum that can't differentiate, unless you are in the former group. The composite resultant is absurd (except for the former group).

telemnemonics and MilwMark like this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Strange question. Were you looking for names? I could list a couple, but I’m not sure it would mean much to you, since you live a couple thousand miles from here.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Yeah, most clubs/venues with house/dj music are loud as ****.

But, a symphony can put out 120+db easy. Most instruments designed back in the day were done so specifically for projection, 100+db is just normal for instruments you can't plug in, an opera singer can hit 100db.

You want an 80db show with no projection?

Here's my solution: House owned electric drum set plugged into a small lower watt 1x12 PA combo and no classical unplugged acoustic instruments, seriously.

MilwMark likes this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Yes indeed!! You can tell the real men around here because they can't hear you when you're speaking to them......

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yeah, I'm curious what kind of venues would actually insist that a band play at conversation levels. Were they pubs, coffee shops, nightclubs?

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Bars. Often places that have a PA and a stage, but don't specialize in live music. They have it semi-regularly. And always seem conflicted when they do. Even though the house stereo is often louder. But gets nobody dancing and buying drinks. Strangest phenomenon.

7. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Really, at conversation levels? That is very odd.

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I saw an interview with Justin Bieber where he expressed his frustration with not hearing himself on stage because of the girls in the crowd screaming all of the time.

Does that sound familiar?
    [​IMG]
    Just a band from the early sixties on their first American tour, having to play stadiums with an...*AHEM*...optimistic backline to do so.

Note, no stage monitors, the damn things weren't invented yet.

Perhaps Bieber needs to take a leaf out of Pete Townshend's book and appear on stage with a couple of Full stacks.
    [​IMG]
    "Try screaming over THAT, you bunch-a @#%$#@!"

Those officials who say "You mustn't do that, those poor girls will have hearing damage if you turn up louder!" overlook the fact that the screaming itself is louder than a jet taking off.

9. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    One of my favourite pet peeves is to want to inflict pain to the movie sound guys .
    Background noise way too loud, people speaking too low, having to scramble for the remote because the music or sound effects are way too loud, etc.
    Few movies/tv shows have well balanced sound.
    Maybe because everyone ‘s hearing is so different

Piotr likes this.
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It never used to be that way though. So what changed and when? And why? :)

You could make the same case for lighting, or lack off, in movies/TV drama.

This show made the news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46750532

11. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Dec 16, 2015
    The big square states
    Spirit....Great band :D

kookaburra likes this.
  12. Boubou

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Pretty easy.
    Neither my dog or dad worked in noisy environment.
    It’s just old age, your body degrades.
    But these are the 2 that I know that are hard of hearing and it’s sad.
    Not everyone’s is made the same way
    Definitely something to be avoided if you can

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    Owenmoney likes this.
  13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Like I said earlier, bars that dabble in live music especially. They like the idea of a band, but not always the reality. A brewpub I played in November warned us about volume before we’d finished load in. Of course, they had us set up about 10 feet from the bar and had us start while they were still in the middle of dinner service. You could absolutely have had a conversation in that place until later in the evening.

You can see my master volumes from right after sound check here in a zoomed in pic (far right knobs, top and bottom).

[​IMG]

I haven’t played there in a couple years, but one coffee shop (that serves alcohol strangely enough) was also really strict. The owner actually told me just to plug my guitar straight into her small PA so she could control the volume. We came to a compromise on that, but it was very quiet.

I get it, sort of. It’s their place, so we play by their rules, but I don’t really like it. Price I pay for wanting to play out I guess. As I mentioned, it’s not that way everywhere, but it’s fairly common.

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    What changed is we got OLD and our hearing isn't as balanced as it used to be. You don't encounter young people having these difficulties with the way movies are mixed.

15. Boubou

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Are you calling me old?
    One thing for sure, I do NOT want to have or try to have a conversation over loud music. No way.
    Either in bar or at home over dinner.
    Loud music is great I love it, but MY music, the one I like. I don’t dont care for someone elses’s loud music.
    Get off my lawn.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    Owenmoney and thegeezer like this.
  16. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    If everyone tunes by ear where do you get the starting point
    Maybe they are pretending to not hear?

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I would expect a coffee shop to want it quiet. Same is true with a restaurant. It's background music, not dance music.
    If that's the kind of thing the OP is complaining about, then he really doesn't understand appropriate volume levels.
    However, he specifically said concerts and dance venues, and I really doubt that any band is playing at bedroom levels in a concert or dance club.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM
  19. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South

Maybe, just maybe, if he thinks that he's getting bedroom level volume at concert venues his hearing is already shot? ;)

kelnet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.