Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. memiller

memiller TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    Just let 'em go. If someone is this ignorant nothing will convince them they're wrong until the day they realize they'll never heard their grandkid's voice.

Electric Warrior and drlucky like this.
  2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Just messing around! I've always chosen the blind option in the "blind or deaf" hypothetical for just that reason. I always wear hearing protection when I play loudly.

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    The military now "requires" ear protection for small arms and artillery, both in and out of combat zones. I've met more than a few veterans who wished they followed that requirement more consistently. Or at least were able to.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    O.P., go ahead and play as loud as you want. In the meantime, we'll begin processing your application to join the rest of us in the I Wish I Hadn't Done That Club.

thegeezer and JustABluesGuy like this.
  5. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    This.

maxvintage likes this.
  6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    ... Why afraid? Like I lost half of my hearing from playing in loud concerts and nightclubs. Simple really.

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Hearing loss aside, one thing I really started to hate about bands turning down is how much the crowd is suddenly talking quite loudly over the music.

SHUT THE HELL UP and enjoy the music!

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    A lot of times it’s city statutes requiring businesses to limit the volume in the club/bar etc.

JustABluesGuy and DrPepper like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    there were a couple of times in the last year alone when i actually (politely) complained to the promoter about it being too quiet and just not satisfying.

i have tinnitus. i wear good earplugs. i want to hear the music in my body, not just with my ears. for some genres quiet is fine. for others you need to have the air moving a certain amount for it to feel right. i don't need or want my bluegrass volume at the same level as japanese hardcore or power electronics.

also loud and muddy is garbage.

10. cyclopean

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    because i don't want to make someone else listen to me doing that.

11. cyclopean

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    pretty much every bar i see music at is good at taking orders by pantomime.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I've been about 70% deaf for a month now due to fluid on my ears. it is no fun. but go ahead and crank, if you want to experience it for yourself.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    ‘Cos when it gets to the point it’s hurting it’s no fun. The detail gets lost and your head aches. Mind you, playing in a band you soon learn that the complaints often come from the table directly in front of and four feet away from a PA speaker!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:41 PM
  14. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2018
    omaha ne
    thats quite

15. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Since everyone has an opinion/story, I guess I'll go as well. I've played the guitar and drums for over 40 years and started going to arena metal shows around the same time in my teens. I drum teched for a couple years, and I've heard every kind of music from backstage, sidestage, onstage, in the pit, and foh.

I've been living in NYC for the past few years and I've noticed a MAJOR decrease in stage volume, and overall volume at lots and lots of shows-Soulfly, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, even Zakk Wylde, from what I clearly remember as deafening volume levels in the '90's. I wondered if there was a decibel limit within the city limits because a lot of these guys are now just using one half stack with a clone backstage in case their rig goes down.

I'm a little ashamed to admit it...But I had never seen Slayer live. I like them, it was just never a priority to see them. These guys are so stinking loud... IT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME. Now, I've seen them three times on their "final tour" and I'm seeing them again in May. Besides the fact that their volume is truly epic, I have NEVER heard a band with that kind of volume have such an unbelievable live sound-total separation between King and Holt's guitars, unbelievable clarity- they have to be seen and heard to be believed. I had no idea a band could play that loud and sound that good, I didn't even think bands played that loud at all anymore.

Apparently, both Kerry King and Gary Holt have 3 4x12's (I think they both use 3 100 watt JCM 800's each) on each side of the stage, ostensibly so they can still hear themselves if they switch sides of the stage-but the result out front is killer.

Anyhow. Forget everything you thought you knew about volume and go see Slayer. Even if you're not into metal. Best shows I've ever seen in my life.

16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yup, I remember seeing Fire dept officers counting heads and measuring decibels in all the local night clubs back in the day.

Danjabellza likes this.
  18. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

May 29, 2017
    Canada
    Sounds like the OP is exaggerating for effect! :rolleyes:

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why does everything go to the absurd? And why do so many threads devolve to what are or are not accurate and appropriate tuning methods? WTF?

Anyway, I totally get what OP is saying. Others have hit on it. Venues "want" bands. But then they want them to be quieter than the chatter of the crowd? Even though their house music is punishingly loud during breaks, they STILL yell at the bands to turn down. Again, WTF?

I'll only take what I call "wallpaper" gigs wth my acoustic band. I you want interesting sonic wallpaper, a rock band is not the answer.

This does NOT mean playing at 110-120db. But playing at lawnmower volume shouldn't be a surprise.

I once got told to turn down. When were playing acoustic. Around a single mic. Wth a single monitor on the floor as our “main”.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM
    deytookerjaabs likes this.
  20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Really? Which venues do that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.