Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You're 26. Get back to us in 30 years.

Sconnie likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That's it, you've got the right idea there!

Sconnie likes this.
  3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a Korg tuner 40 years ago.

4. blowtorch

The first strobe tuner dates back to 1936

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

It's still a lot closer than I get on my own, generally. That's all I'm saying. In any case, if you're using other strings as a reference, they have to be close enough in tune themselves. I have good enough ears to hear discrepancies. But I can rarely get it what I would consider "dead on" without a tuner. I may be able to get a reference E started in my head (maybe think of Driver 8 or Back in Black in my head). But my G and/or B will be off no matter how much time I spend on it. I make adjustments by ear when I'm goofing around or jamming. But I will tune all strings with a tuner when it's performance time.

Yeah, sorry, OP, for the derail. I'll shut up now.

6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

More volume doesn't make a bad performance better, but one that really cooks will still cook at any volume.

7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

We live about a mile from the high schoo and we can hear the marching band and they aren’t even amplified instruments are loud, guitars got amplified to compete with the louder acoustic instruments like horns, drums, wind instruments etc . Then venues got larger and larger so bands had to get louder and louder. Then proper PA systems came in vogue and things got better but it’s still comes down to what you hear on the radio, tv, dvds etc can still be turned down to a low volume level but real live music is loud. Whether it’s a rock band or symphony orchestra or a high school or college marching band it’s loud, life gets loud sometimes, but life goes on, war is loud but no one says stop the war it’s getting so loud we can’t talk over it !

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Tuning forks are over 200 years old. And folks knew how to tune an instrument before that, without frets btw. How they did that, is how we should still tune and play our instruments, with harmony, and sonically pleasant music definition being timelessly the same physical universal sensation regardless of era or instrument.

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I meant the canned music the bar plays. Can't do much about that other than turn down the gig. I have yet to be offered a gig at the Musical Instrument Museum here in Phoenix! :)

Actually, FWIW, I lost my cheapo tuners in the move back here. Just using the reference tone these days on my Micro Cube.

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Developed for the Germany's armoured musical weapon division, orgepanzerte Musikwaffe. Part of how they got around the treaty of Versailles.

I'll let myself out now.

memiller and studio1087 like this.
  11. blowtorch

The first strobe tuner was originally made by the Conn company; it was called the Stroboconn. If you want to talk musical weapons, the bagpipe is an instrument of war :cool:

drlucky and memiller like this.
  12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

That's an attitude. I mean, lots of people make that kind of claim, and it's glorified in the media a lot.

I like my life at my age. I'm still doing all sorts of new stuff, still working at a job I love, and life is still interesting. If I couldn't hear, life would be much less interesting. I've already got substantial age-normative hearing loss, it will only get worse, so I'll keep learning new instruments and styles while I can. Everything has a cost-benefit curve

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Volume? Come at me, bro!

[​IMG]

scout2112 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good analogy and so true.

thegeezer likes this.
  15. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

That one's s
    Nobody had tuners in 1989? Huh?

And seriously, cram it with the "proper" way to tune BS. The "proper" way to tune is only "proper" because it's old. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's better and in fact it's far WORSE. Good luck intonating a guitar by ear and having it check out against the other instruments in the band. Hope you don't play near the nut much.

I swear guitarists are the biggest Luddites in the world.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  17. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In reading this thread, I think this might be the first time a guitar duel was suggested to end the debate.
    I've only been around 10 years but it's a first for me.
    I know that is how Jack Butler and Eugene Martone settled things in Crossroads, by cuttin heads:eek:
    I say we get Youtube out here to film it, let's do this.

drlucky likes this.
  18. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Yes, but you get an endorphin rush from the pain, much like when music is so loud that it is permanently damaging your hearing.

Your sense of taste will come back though.

Milspec likes this.
  19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Dude, I can only suggest that you take to heart what several older posters with tinnitus are saying.

There is no "cure" for tinnitus, and it is a living hell for many who deal with it. Not worth it just to prove how manly one is, or whatever.

20. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Forum rules restrict me from expressing my exact opinion on this, which involves several words unfit for mixed company and a comparison to an amusingly shape tropical fruit.

Instead I'll say this... your entire supposition is wrong.

Why the frick "should" we use old and outdated methods of tuning that sucked then and suck harder now? Because it's old? Because that's what classical musicians play and OH MAN we can't be seen doing something different from them? To quote the prophet GOB: "COME ON!"

Strict adherence to the past is a disease that rots the brain faster than anything else.

thegeezer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.