Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Nah babies are annoying :)

cyclopean likes this.
  2. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    If you subject your audience to listening to you tuning in 2019...................

stevemc and cyclopean like this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    The OP is a relative n00b, and I'm willing to bet also <30. Once you get to be twice that, come back and tell us how all that NOIZZZZEEEEE has improved your quality of life.

your post called me out and i put my money where my mouth is....bring your guitar amp and then you make that statement after we done !!

4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    My wife’s Mom never ever exposed herself to loudmusic or loud noise and she’s very hard of hearing. So explain that, she never worked in a factory, only restaurants and offices. I’ve worked around loud factory noises for over forty years rivet guns doing tractor trailer sides all day long etc and loud machines of slam bang nature and my hearing is still real good ? How’s that work ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. iamarobotman

iamarobotman TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Tour Van
    I think a lot of it has to do with the portability of small amps: PR, DR, 5E3, AC15, etc.

People don't have the funds, roadies, or means to travel with large amps anymore. It's more economical and stress free to travel light with a Princeton Reverb than it is with a Marshall stack. There's a reason why when you walk into a music store, all the big amps are for sale used and you hardly see desirable small amps.

I've seen some huge acts play arenas with 15 watt amps and it sounded huge. Technology is also a key role in this. It's 2019 and it's really great to be portable, embrace it! Generally speaking, people want to hear your voice if you're singing, not your wanking guitar solo that makes your ears bleed.

drlucky likes this.
  6. iamarobotman

iamarobotman TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Tour Van
    This! Except the cajon part.... I'm a drummer and I'll always play a real drum set, not a dang cajon. Playing a cajon is like wearing Guy Harvey shirts, Crocs, and looping your beat box vocals while drinking craft elderberry beer.

thegeezer and Owenmoney like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Must every thread bend to Ayn Rand?!

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    they are, though. stupid babies. always crying over something...
    "That baby's not colicky, he's sober!"

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    An allegory for TDPRI I reckon.

blowtorch likes this.
  10. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    No one in the audience wants to stand there and watch somebody tune their guitar, let alone have to listen to it. Tuner pedals serve a purpose, and it's not a crutch it's a convenience. It's fast, easy, accurate and silent.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    As someone who has been to many a loud concert in his day, a year ago my luck ran out when I sat in with a blues combo playing a swing dance in a small room.. They were WAY too loud for the room/gig (dancers don't require loud music...especially with hard floors) and they put me in a really unfortunate stage position, off to the side and out in front of the PA. The drummer, especially, sang (had a Paul Stanley type voice...that fits the blues how?) and played very loud in particular. I should have used better judgment, brought earplugs, left the gig or something, but I was so frazzled from just getting there (Got lost 3 times on the way) that I just stuck it out. The ringing has never stopped in my right ear and it's miserable sometimes...literal torture. Can't sleep without background noise. Can't sleep on my right side (amplifies the ringing when the ear is closed), can't go swing dancing anymore. Sometimes even sitting in a noisy restaurant full of people talking animatedly is actually painful. Now I'm no sissy about noise, never have been, but I sure wish I HAD been a little bit now. Being loud for the sake of being loud or because you think it's cool is dumb, disrespectful of your audience and dangerous to you and your band.

stevemc and notmyusualuserid like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I don't have "perfect pitch", but I have very good pitch, and can discriminate pitch discrepancies very well. Better than the vast majority of hobby musicians I've played with throughout my life, to be honest.

If any guitarist here can get a G or B string near perfect in tune without a tuner, they are truly talented. I don't mean "good enough for rock and roll". I mean actually in tune. A G or B string a hair off is torture for my ears. The reality is that most people won't even notice if a G is a hair off. But I do.

I use an electronic tuner when I feel I need to. I apologize to the universe if that somehow makes me less of a musician. :rolleyes:

I freely admit that the G and B strings have always been problematic for me. I don't know what it is. String to string, or by harmonics, it's the same. I can very rarely get it good enough without a tuner. Instead of wasting mine and everyone's time trying to get them pitch perfect, I can use a tuner, get it done in a flash, and everyone is happy.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that relying on my own ears, as good as I think they might be, can be deceptive. I thought for years (decades) that the section on Bring it On Home when JP plays the main riff and the drums kick in that they came in flat. Something about it just makes it sound that way, when they are actually dead on the same pitch as the intro. What we hear is still subjective in the end.

EDIT EDIT: I mean sharp. Not flat. Had to listen to make sure.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Ever seen a show by Beppe Gambetta? He uses 17 tunings. Many during the show. Very fast, talks while tuning, uses a pedal for reference. Regardless, your tuner is taking you to equal temperment (most likely), which for some of us, isn't in tune, regardless of how quick you get there. But I own and use the damn things myself when I have to, so not discounting anyone for using them, just abusing them or being unaware of what "in tune" is supposed to be.

14. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Interesting thread.. if you don't know whether you've got hearing loss that's going to impact your opinion I'd think.

I've had enough tests to know I'm still OK (41) and I have no tinnitus or anything.

There is too low, if I can practice at home with no one to yell at me I want to be at 80dB or so... but 90dB is definitely louder than I need and I can feel it.

I motorcycled a lot, I think that's a pretty good benchmark. When I started riding I didn't go on the highway for a couple thousand miles as I learned. I went on the highway exactly once without earplugs... hurt like hell, I got off the highway and rode home on backroads, never rode without plugs again. I basically never rode without a motorcycle jacket and I made sure I always had earplugs in the jacket so I could never be stuck without them. I rode for 12 years and > 50,000 miles. I knew lots of people who never wore ear plugs, even at the racetrack where the noise level was insane. 130mph+ the wind noise is absolutely incredible even with ear plugs.

I remember going to a Formula 1 race in 2005... near painful levels even with 30dB earplugs in. Amazing. The high pitch of those cars is horrific in person. Even going down to Indy cars the lower RPM makes the noise a lot less painful. Mazda rotary race cars were also incredibly painful to listen too.

I never attended that many concerts.. I have been to some that were too loud though, not fun, actual physical pain just like motorcycling. Others were loud but not painful and were more enjoyable. I keep plugs in my guitar case for my Tele now as about 99% of the time I've played with a drummer in the room and/or other musicians who probably had hearing damage I found the volume level painful/worrying. The loud/painful concerts were actually not the big venues. Worst one was a smaller club that had brick walls. So much pain I basically waited at the back right near the door till my friend was ready to leave.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    There is a balance to be struck IMO. Certain styles of music require a certain volume level, but not all require the same level.

When it gets too loud everything gets distorted, muddy and difficult to hear. Too low and it lacks punch.

Bedroom level is for the bedroom, not a club, and stadium level is for the stadium, and not a club. The volume should match the situation. Loud enough, but not excessively loud for the genre and/or venue.

Easy peasy!

cyclopean likes this.
  16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    anyone who's never been to see Motorhead doesn't even know what loud is

17. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Because "it's not all about you" . People go out to enjoy themselves. That may include listening, dancing, talking etc. Bartenders need to hear what's being ordered.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I said, a tuner is needed for reference - nobody goes around with a reference pitch in their head. And you shouldn't rely on it to tune all strings.

On the G and B string thing. This is common. Its because there are several Bs in the landscape of "in tune", and its a good thing you can discrimate. Here are several B's depending on the major or minor chord, to produce proper harmony or unison:

B chord: B #1
    E chord: B #2
    G chord: B #3
    G# minor chord: B #4

and so on. These four B's are different frequencies, but your tuner will tell you middle B is 493.883 Hz, which isn't correct for any of these. So you tune your open B to sound good for one of these, say a big E chord, and the G chord sounds bad. Or vise versa. Thats because it is bad - its not a proper 3rd, or 5th for the chord.

Thank you - this is a great illustration of why a tuner is insufficient.

Sorry for the derailment -

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

If I eventually can't hear anybody and no longer have to hear the bullsh*t most people say, I'll happily live out those final years of my life. :lol:

My stereo can't be turned down when Zep is playing, I've tried, it's the gosh darndest thing you ever saw.

Lastly, science will catch up, right? :rolleyes:

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I agree. Huh?

I think we can see that drinking and posting don't mix.

bsman and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.