Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Too old for what? Hearing nothing but painful mush and ears ringing for days? I take it as a complement.

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Very simple - profits. (rant on) How many types of tuners do we have? What size is the tuner industry? Nobody had tuners 30+ years ago...a tuning fork maybe. Its a product that works, but it performs a service that isn't really needed, and like eating out, it really costs more and takes more time - defeating any reason to exist, lol. But folks are now conditioned (programmed) to believe its conventional behavior, and since most folks behave this way, it has become conventional behavior, just like tuners. The proper way to tune is still the same as it has been for a thousand years or more: you use a reference pitch, and tune all other strings/pipes/instruments to that. Part of being able to do that, is hearing the complimentary intervals like fifths, fourths, thirds, sixths - all are important to good intonation and pitch, but maybe 80% of all amateur musicians don't know how to do that and have bad pitch and intonation as a result, fortified by the....tuner! (rant off)

One of my favorite quips occurred in a jam with a person and their clip-on tuner: "but I'm in tune!? See, look?" Most of us bust out laughing. Most...

JustABluesGuy and telemnemonics like this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

You can always leave if it isn't loud enough.

4. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

Because I have a very hard time tuning by ear to the point i never get it to sound correct.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I reckon most of TDPRI are over 50 and have spent a lifetime with loud.

180dB sounds great when your ears are 20 years old. 180 db through 50 year old ears that have lost most of the top frequencies maybe not so much.

Hearing loss has a way of creeping up noticed. Mine did anyway.

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I agree in terms of ear training. OTOH, I grew up tuning by ear (sometimes still do), but I found tuners to be handy while preparing to play in a bar that is blasting music, as many do.

You do provide me a good reminder to avoid my tuner as much as possible. My ear needs all the help it can get!

thegeezer and JustABluesGuy like this.
  7. Musekatcher

If you can understand the incredibly complex spoken language with all its shifting pitch, inflection, tone and frequency content, you can learn to tune an instrument. Its really not true that some folks are tone deaf. If you were tone deaf, you'd be deaf, as in not able to understand language, or recognize timers, the radio, thunder, etc.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

George Carlin once said that the leading cause of death is swallowing small amounts of spit over a prolonged period of time. Oh, well. I thought I had a point, but, never mind.

Anyway, I’ve been to a lot of loud concerts and have subjected my hearing to a lot of hours of cranked amps less than ten feet away. Now, I have ringing that won’t stop and people sound like they’re mumbling. Despite that, I can’t say I’d change a lot if I had the chance to do it over because I had (have) the time of my life.

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

I keep getting told to turn down so I can never hear my guitar well enough to even play, never mind tune.
    But with a tuner pedal I can tune up and play a barrage of cool phrases cycling through not-the-least-bit-random changes, and at least one or two will sound "correct".
    The rest are artistic expression, you don't understand...

thegeezer likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

ha ha 54..and look at the post..it points out you dont go and change those things..the vol makes the atmosphere ..this so called you claim newb out right invites you to a neutral studio and lets make a video for all of TDPRI to see...i will bring my SG & Lp and 6100 and play your stuff..i will.comp for so you can lead ..then switch to lead..to your music choice..anything you pick..then..do the same for me..good luck

12. Musekatcher

They serve a purpose. If its so loud you can't tune properly, they do provide a crutch, but its also an indication that its too loud to play properly too, much less sing. You really shouldn't want to perform in that environment very much, for fear of what it really sounds like to your patrons (who haven't escaped). Another good/bad occasion, is when your ear is so fatigued from bad pitches and numbed by excessive volumes, a tuner can help - but again, you won't be performing at your best in a pitch-hostile environment if you can't discriminate pitches, of course. Unfortunately, a lot of common environments are really hostile to good pitch, and the music shows it, but the performers aren't aware.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I typically practice louder than I play while gigging. Depends very much on the venue though. Clubs dedicated to live music don’t mind volume, though even then it’s (mostly) reasonable.

Bars that want to dabble in live music are the real culprits in my experience. Frankly, I’m not sure why most of them even have live music, though I’m glad to take their money. It is a buzz kill though - sonic neutering.

There is a case to be made for volume in terms of music quality, minus the extremes. Hard to create musical feedback with the master on 1.5.

thegeezer, mad dog and MilwMark like this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Effect after effect after effect.. yawn.

That and the mumbled, quiet dialogue.

At home I watch through my hi-fi which is pretty high end. With movies I have to have the remote permanently in hand to lower the effects in the action sequences and raise the dialogue.

Whatizitman likes this.
  15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

I saw Dick Dale in a small club a few months back but I did have my earplugs and so it wasn't an issue. After a few minutes I get used to the earplugs. Most other people I talked to said "god that was *(&@#$)(#$_)(#$@ loud" and one guy even left. You can still get the physical effects of the sound waves hitting your body without having to go deaf in the process. For music I've started going for the 20 dB reduction rather than the 30s.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Nah you just have to turn it up a little louder, as you get older.
    And as far as hearing what people have to say, I find I'm generally fine doing without that :cool:

bftfender likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Yikes, if its that loud, I'm the guy leaving. I do take ear plugs to theaters when my family drags me there. I wear plugs on planes too. For a while, the mud grips on my jeep were so impressive on the highway, I wore plugs till they got replaced. I like a little loud to keep up with a drummer, just not too loud. I'll just let the drummer win that one. And then find a new drummer.

kookaburra likes this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You still haven't told us where these quiet places are that you're complaining about? You complain about "everybody" being afraid of volume, but you haven't given any evidence that anyone at all is afraid of volume. You say that there are performances played at bedroom levels, but you haven't given any evidence of that.

What exactly are you complaining about?

drlucky likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Nah, I enjoy hearing my grand baby's soft little sounds, but YMMV.

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Huh?

kelnet and Manual Slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.