Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I understand what you are saying... it's like imagining SRV playing at low volume...

The impact and intensity, tone/feel of the performance is completely compromised.

Imagine a guitarist making a "stink face" during a smokin solo at low volume.... well it certainly isn't smoking and the face just looks pretentious and phony...

I get it man...

Imagine (he who must not be named) without a wall of high powered fender amps.... it would have not only sucked, it would have flat out not worked!

bftfender and tlsmack like this.
  2. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

In the clubs here you can't play loud anymore, at least the ones I play. i really don't miss it. I find the louder it gets the less I can hear everything. It just turns into mush when it's too loud. And I don't have to carry a heavy amp;)

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

My wife has ears like a bat (not physically, of course, but in terms of sensitivity). I, on the other hand, played drums in a band years ago and have been to hundreds of gigs where the dB level has probably been well beyond the level where damage is likely. I know my hearing is definitely not as good as it was. At levels that my wife regards as perfectly loud enough, I can barely register some frequencies. Where I'm comfortable with the volume, she's seeking out her ear plugs.

However, we have attended gigs where we have both found the volume uncomfortable / unbearable and left. I've never been to one where I've felt the need to wish it were louder.

I suspect that the dB levels quoted earlier in this thread are on the money, in terms of the levels at which damage will occur for everyone. However, the ability to tolerate / become accustomed to potentially dangerous levels (or feel uncomfortable well before those levels are reached) is individual.

DuckDodgers likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

How old are you, son? I SAID HOW OLD ARE YOU? EH? SPEAK UP!

;)

5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

There are a few of us around here who aren't as much into a lifetime of ringing in the ears as others. I went to my first real rock show in 1970, and saw Chicago, who played ridiculously loud, and I was right at the front of the stage. Plus I worked in Boeing's machine shop without hearing protection for several years, and now I'm paying the price.

I've had this ringing in my ears for going on my 49th year, there is no cure for it, and it's not very pleasant! I wear ear plugs when I play now, but my hearing is already shot, I'm just trying to avoid going deaf now.... (I was young, and stupid!) The loud concerts were fun back then, but not worth the permanent hearing damage that never goes away!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There IS a level of volume below which people, musicians and those watching, are just not going to "get into it". For me it has to be loud enough to feel... and obviously digital drums are out of the question.

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Apart from hearing loss and the functional side of this, something else is going on. I've repeatedly seen variations of this scenario: You set up for a gig in a small place. Start in and immediately get chided on volume. Which is not that loud to begin with. Then get yelled at again. If you can stay up there til enough people get drunk enough, suddenly the disapproval stops. If not, you get shut down early. And then the house music comes on, much, much louder than you were.

There is some kind of expectation or psychology at work. People seem to tolerate higher volumes (or notice less) when they are not specifically being asked to pay attention, which is the assumption with a live band. My guess is that's what drives club owners to be unreasonable with volume from live acts, but not with recorded music.

MilwMark, cyclopean and thegeezer like this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

When I was young there was no sunblock, less job safety, and I was so close to the stage at a Kiss concert I got dripped on. At another show so close Jerry Garcia winked at my girlfriend. Special guest seating for the Stones at Candlestick in 1981. Teen years though age 29 was lots of industrial noise, chemical exposure, and years spent in old loud trucks. What happened from a lack of safety in a different era?
    1. Malignant skin cancer.
    2. Hearing loss.
    3. Tinnitus.
    It's no fun. I know what I'd do if I reliving your life was an option and I know what to do for the rest of it. I'm thankful for all sorts of changes that add to quality and quantity of life.

9. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Hmmmmmm..........don’t show up to a Chiefs game :rolleyes:

10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

There is a local band here that likes volume. The rhythm player has a full Marshall stack. They run their guitars through the monitors right into their faces. They refused to turn down after repeated requests from the people who formerly hired them. They are loud, proud, and jobless.

I saw Jimi in Memphis around 1970. A roadie crouched in front of a PA speaker the whole concert. The aural version of staring into the sun.

kookaburra and WetBandit like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

If it's loud enough for my eardrums to compress, then I'm missing a lot of what I want to be hearing. Loud does not necessarily mean better. I've never understood that. I get something being loud enough to "wake you up", as it were. But ear splitting levels are simply not enjoyable for me. Not at all, and never have been.

I will admit that I had phobic reactions to loud noises as a child, and my son did, too. That might hint at some sensory integration issues. So yeah I can't really speak for others.

notmyusualuserid and bsman like this.
  13. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

The OP is a relative n00b, and I'm willing to bet also <30. Once you get to be twice that, come back and tell us how all that NOIZZZZEEEEE has improved your quality of life.

drlucky, Greggorios and scrapyardblue like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

What?!
    Speak up I can't hear!

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

As we used to say in the bidness, if it's too loud, you're too old.

And I'm definitely too old. 80% of the times I play out, it's with a 15-20 watt amp. The other 20% it's outdoors or big rooms where I can turn the Bad Cat up and not hurt anybody. (AC30-type amp, a very loud 30 watts.) I try to keep it down till solo time & then just loud enough to be heard clearly. Then again, I'm not playing rock music.

Have I played gigs where the roar of the crowd talking to themselves was louder than the band? Yes I have. But we played it & got invited back.

drlucky likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been surprised at the high volume at some Cinemas recently especially action movies. I went to see Dunkirk and it was painfully loud at times. That's really crept up over the years.

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

I gig with a 22 watt DRRI un-mic'ed except at outdoor gigs.

drlucky and bftfender like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

upload_2019-1-11_9-54-30.png

bftfender and charlie chitlin like this.
  19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've noticed that, too. And all the digitally enhanced bass frequencies for "explosions" and whatnot get old real quick for me.

stevemc and Greggorios like this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You're not so much a musician and a beer and alcohol salesman.
    If the bartender can't easily hear the orders, you're too loud.

w3stie, thegeezer and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.