Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Tell us where you are experiencing such low levels of volume that you think that "everybody" is afraid of volume. Where are these bedroom-level gigs?

drlucky and Frontier9 like this.
  2. Tuneup

Tuneup TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2019
    USA
    Hearing loss, tinnitus.

bsman likes this.
  3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Sound guys typically want stage volume to be minimal, so they can control the volume out front. However, I want my bass to move some air. Otherwise I'd play the ukulele.

Wyzsard likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I get where you're coming from, but the days of barbands turning up with Marshall stacks and a refrigerator bass setup are gone.

We have two 550 watt RMS 10" FOH speakers - and the lead singer can hit a high and cause pain in my ear closest to the speaker, so I don't think low volumes is an issue. I play through a rated 20 watt Marshall which also can cause ear pain instant to instant so I turn it down. It still sings with my hand off the strings and holds sustained notes. it just doesn't decapitate any audience members.

I heard a video of us playing, and realised I was still killing the vocals. I needed to recallibrate my stage volume perception and turn master down from 3 pm- 1-2pm. And watch any gain devices I clicked in.

I'm starting to lose some top end hearing but mostly from years of motorcycle racing and riding.

We can still produce plenty of racket and keep the venue neighbours uncomplaining at the same time.

The likes of Page, Hendrix, Clapton, ACDC et al needed dual quad boxes to be heard live in their stadium gigs. But not in studios or smaller venuesv and to some degree have done us all a misservice by giving us the idea we need more than 50 watts of tube power. In most circumstances you need 15-30. Tops.

drlucky and Chicago Matt like this.
  5. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    Stage volume is completely pointless and the less of it you have the better the sound guy can do his job out front.

You're not SRV playing Montreaux. You're Steve the Accountant playing Moe's Tavern in Schenectady. Nobody cares. Just play the music so people buy some beer.

6. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    Because of tinnitus and hearing loss. I have tinnitus and cannot play the guitar anymore.

7. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Man, I recall one gig my old band played... we were so quiet nobody headbanged, grooved or jived...
    Haven't been the same since.

I actually condone only tapping of feet, sly smiling, -and a politely clapped applause after numbers are fully completed.

8. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Yep, I'm scratching my head with a few others above. Not once in all my years have I been to a concert and heard a single person suggest bedroom levels. Nor have I been to a sporting event, and I've been to a lot, where anybody says "shhhh." I don't know about loud dances because I don't go to dances.

You're on your own island, man. Or maybe your own planet.

JustABluesGuy, kookaburra and kelnet like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    the smallest amp i have seen onstage the whole last tour in 2016 was a fender twin..all ampeg fridges or 4x10's , and we dont play bars, the common cab backline was a 4x12 loaded w V30's..was first time as a guitarist after 20 years of bass and my head was Valveking, next go round when wife is cleared, i am using Matshall dsl100h & 6100..so steve the accountant is not quiet accurate

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
  11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Why? I have significant hearing loss and severe tinnitus... constant buzzing in my ears... I wish I could go back and turn down the volume. And quite honestly I don't enjoy music played so loud it hurts. A better question is why do people want to play so loud that it physically hurts and does damage? What sense does it make to play so loud you have to wear earplugs?

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I just played a hospital where our organizer was kind of insistent on low volumes, and not because we could be heard through the hallways - we were isolated from the wards with patients. We play rock and roll, we have a drummer, you don't have a plexiglass curtain - there is only so much we can do. We did in fact play pretty quietly, all things considered, but - you want rock and roll, it does come with a certain volume level.

MilwMark, Chunkocaster and bftfender like this.
  13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I should preface my comment by saying, “SMALL BARS” and the like. Full-on concerts and sporting events? I wear earplugs. Or carry earplugs for when I need them.

14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    What? What did you say? One more time. What?

This, I agree. Somehow I made it through my younger years and still have good hearing.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    A better question is why is everybody so afraid of tuning by ear?

stratoman1 and howardlo like this.
  16. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    Grab hold of the least relevant passage of my post and ride it on into the sunset. Doesn't change anything I said.

That one's easy. It's annoying and pointless when you can get a tuner for the price of a sandwich.

Greggorios and Keefsdad like this.
  17. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Falls City
    Agreed !
    My practice rig
    1027182309.jpg

Northern Tele likes this.
  18. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Well I have worked in the back of a bowling alley for around 10yrs... so I know a thing or two about hearing loss...

And I'm only 28!!

No joke my fender twin, I have to have on 2 or 3 just to start hearing it good!

To most people that is LOUD in a medium to small room.

Hearing loss is real. That being said, I can fully appreciate a loud rock show!

8barlouie likes this.
  19. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I haven’t seen any discussion of wanting bedroom level volumes for gigs - the most common complaint I see there is being loud enough to be heard over an aggressive drummer. Most of us who want good sound at bedroom levels want that because we’re mostly playing in BEDROOMS!!! I have a converted bedroom as a man-cave in our permanent condo and a corner of the guest bedroom in our winter rental place. And my wife’s usually around, so I rarely play loud. At home I have a Roland amp I can play at .5, 5, 15, or 30 watts, so I can sound good at those bedroom levels and adequately loud on the rare occasion I’m playing elsewhere with others. At our winter rental (we’re here now), I just have a 1 watt Blackstar HTN-1R and it’s more than loud enough for the much thinner walls.

And frankly, I played blues/rock with an emphasis on rock in my teens and 20s, but now it’s mostly blues with very little rock. I still like a bit of dirt to my sound sometimes, but I rarely need a lot of volume... So hey, if you’re in a position to turn it up, turn it up (within safe levels, of course). But it’s those of us who generally can’t who are concerned with good sound at low volumes...

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.