Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Jan 10, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Just baffles me. go a concert..and request them to turn it down to bedroom-talking levels///go to a sporting event go..shhhh...be quiet.....go to a dance and say its too loud..what the heck is going on..ya killing the very essence of rock music by playing at a whisper level and expecting ...uh..crunch..thump and sustaining leads ..aint happening...who will dance...headbang..groove and jive at a level that physically doesn't move you ..its the beat...it hits you in the chest and you move..but then...turn it up !! you will be surprised how people react...like when the bad cover band opens up for a national act and its low and no one cares..then..wham..volume up and like a magnet to the stage

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

What???

3. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Because I worked in a lab researching hearing loss in the 1980s, and I’ve seen how devastating hearing loss and severe tinnitus can be- especially for musicians. I’m amazed how often I see people enjoying music that’s so loud that I have to wear earplugs. If you aren’t bothered by music that causes some people pain, you already have severe and irrecoverable hearing loss, and it’s going to get worse.

In 1969 I saw Bubble Puppy, Spirit, and Canned Heat in concert in Detroit. I remember that Spirit was using medium sized Fender amps, and Canned Heat had a wall of Sunn amps, I think. They were painfully loud. I still remember everything Spirit played that night, and nothing about Canned Heat except that they were too damned loud.

4. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. bftfender

talking about the bedroom level..not normal gigging level and the justification to do gigs a low levels and chase people away

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Many people are delicate flowers these days.

Vespa_One, noah330, Finck and 10 others like this.
  7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

While I do like loud music, I don’t like when it’s painful, I don’t go to shows anymore but if I did I would definitely bring earplugs. There is pleasant loud and painful loud.
    The dog in my picture ( she is gone now) was deaf as a doorknob (door nail?), when she died , while it prevented her from being afraid of thunderstorms it was sad to see her not being able to hear.
    Having a conversation with my dad is painful as he doesn’t understand half of what I say.
    So, your choice

8. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why everybody so afraid of volume !!?

What? What did you say? One more time. What?

GuitarKid, Piotr and LocoTex like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It is like eating salsa, if you make it so hot that it just burns like tear gas you never get to enjoy the taste.

GuitarKid, Piotr, Damitboy and 12 others like this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

it's actually surprising how low of a sound level can cause hearing loss over an extended period of time

11. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

"killing the very essence of rock music"

I thought rock died a long time ago. And really, if loud is the only thing you have going for you musically....well, kinda sad.

12. bftfender

notice i said volume..not ear bleed stuff..just volume that moves..gets the beat felt..using a goodPA to make your band sound gre
    rock only died by those who let it, its never dead...

WetBandit likes this.
  13. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Damitboy and Sleepyscholar like this.
  14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I think the landscape of live entertainment, music specifically, is changing. We’ve been making our rig smaller and quieter. I went from a 100 watt amp to a 15 watt 5E3. Our drummer has gone to a cajon with small wooden “cajon” snare setup, our sax player now does not play thru the PA, and now only our vocals go direct into the powered speakers: we don’t even carry a full mixer anymore, just a small one to split the vocals to l and r.

15. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I don't recall ever being at a concert, small club gig, high school auditorium, block party, bar band performance, backyard picnic jam band - whatever - and heard someone say "we can't hear you, turn it up". Where is this happening for you, btffender?

I'm lucky I have fairly good hearing, considering all the overly loud events my ears have been in during my younger days. There came a time when I really didn't want to have to wait for normal hearing to return over a couple of days. I bet it was around the same time I started to think twice about drinking so much that I'd have to go to work with a hangover. AKA the time I decided to grow up a bit.

GuitarKid and micpoc like this.
  16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Seriously? Is this actually a thing? Are people really expecting low volumes at a sporting event or a concert?

17. bftfender

cool now volume is tied to growing up..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Frontier9 likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

thermometer_decibel_chart.jpg

GuitarKid, 1955, Skamania and 6 others like this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

People are concerned that they might miss a text message, Tweet or snapchat during a show if the volume is too high.

Piotr, Ian T, Skamania and 4 others like this.
  20. bftfender

the point was..those events i mentioned have the volume and it works...it moves you. it wouldnt work quietly and be as effective..and in turn sorta the same thing happens when bands go too low..or you play under an amps tone range where the volume absolutely is part of the tone equation..you just lose impact..doesn't have to be earbleed but it can be played at a level that encourages movement...

WetBandit and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.