Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why dont more amps have "this"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grim83, Apr 15, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Reverb and tremolo be damned what I miss in most amps is great sound!

24 track likes this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    But what would I do with all my old paper back books?

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Call me a traditionalist, but I feel every amp should come with a coiled cord, 3 sets of guitar strings, and a handful of peppermint after-dinner mints.

badger51 and naneek like this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I like the Brown trem as well. Only petal I've ever had that nails it is a Fuchs Creme de la Trem but mine broke for the second time. What are you using?

As for the 9v out, the coolest idea for this I've seen was from Fuchs as well. They offer a TRS connection from the map that carries power. Only their petals accept it, but others can be modified IIRC.

Kind of a late idea but still neat.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Obsessed likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I almost bought that pedal. There are actually two different kinds of Fender bias trem. The Fuchs is the powertube bias emulation and what I have is what I believe is the preamp bias emulation. There is not much difference to my ears, but the Swamp Thang and the Sugar Baby would probably be closer to the Fuchs. I have the VFE Old School. It has so many adjustment possibilities, I doubt you would be disappointed and probably covers Brownface territory. I have even found a setting that I use just to add a lush thickness to my sound without it actually doing tremolo.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    +500

a_pidgeon and Mincer like this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Now I just use a Demeter. It sounds fine. When I want the bias sound (mostly for recording) I just plug into my Gretsch 6160 or old brown maps. I have an original Vibroverb, Bandmaster and Concert.

8. dirtguitar

dirtguitar TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2018
    US
    Accurate tuner!

9. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Why don't the heavy ones come with a roadie to tote it for me??

And +1 on the pine cabinets.

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    For me, trem is just something that I don't care to use. My thinking about it is that it is such a highly specific sound that promotes the feel of early rock and early surf. I'm sure I could find a few ways of using it in my blues trio, but my health is getting in the way of my dreams and plans.

The obvious solution to lugging a larger amp around, if, course, a pedal. I haven't played one in a while, but I remember that it was a pretty useable sound.

But nothing beats the impact of a twin reverb with JBLs, with tremolo on max depth. Stand in the right position in from of the amp, and you'll feel the pulse take over your nervous system.

W.L.Weller, homesick345 and cactusrob like this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Never really used trem a whole lot since my grade school days and Crimson and clover.
    Maybe I should revisit. Most of my amps have, but, I keep off.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    The beauty of the bias trem in my amp is how it has almost a ducking / dynamic control aspect to it. When I dig in and hit it hard, it gets out of the way then bounces back.

It affects the way the amp breaks up in a wonderful and musical way and gives a little motion to the sound even when dialed way back.

I couldn't really imagine it not being part of the amp.

There are lots if nice trem pedals, but nothing like this.

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    My favorite feature of the Yamaha G-100 II is the parametric EQ. If I ever buy an EQ pedal, it’s going to be a parametric.

Mincer likes this.
  14. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2012
    Winnipeg
    I never use the tremelo function on my DRRI because I'm too lazy to plug in the footswitch that enables this function. Why couldn't it just be a button on the panel?

15. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I will say i messed with a joyo trem and it was very usable especially for so cheap, my problem is i just dont care to use pedals i like what few effects i use to be on the amp. To that effect i unfortunately have not been able to get on with modelers yet so im still in tube land.

16. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    It probably used to be until somebody said "Why can't there be a footswitch? "
    Lol

17. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'll throw in another vote for parametric EQ, as well as pre- and post-gain EQ.

That said, if I owned an amp with parametric pre- and post-gain EQ, I might well spend the rest of my life playing with knobs instead of guitars...

18. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    A lid that comes off with four bolts, revealing the circuit board. Makes adjustments/mods/repairs a LOT easier than pulling the chassis. Pete Traynor figured this out 40-some years ago, why didn't it catch on?
    IMG_4643 (2).jpg

Fearnot and RoyBGood like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I would have no use for it. My pedals are far from my amp.

OneHenry likes this.
  20. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Just a thought, but it seems like nearly all the comments thus far are describing BF or early SF Fenders, either as in or with a bit of modification. Pine cabs, trem, etc...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.