Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why dont more amps have "this"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grim83, Apr 15, 2018.

1. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Tonestack bypass.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Not really, tremolo hasn't been common on amps since the 1980s when there weren't many tremolo pedals.

There are a few new amps with tremolo that are not reissues, like the VHT Special 12/20 and there's at least one Koch.

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

This. Really this.

4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    For amps with switchable on-board effects, the amp should really come with... the footswitch! For example, with the Boss Katana 100, you have to buy the GA-FC footswitch - they should just include it or at least offer to bundle it with the amp.

I also agree that a footswitchable clean boost for any channel should be an available option. That's one less pedal on the board, and they could easily locate that between the preamp and power amp.

richey88 and a_pidgeon like this.
  5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Amp builders and their customers don't know much about tremolo, so they think a pedal can do the same thing.
    I am an amp tremolo user only, but I'm a tiny minority. I don't think I'd use tremolo anymore if I had to use a pedal for it.
    Supro is putting reverb and tremolo on a bunch of amps now. Fender has the princeton reissues. Or just buy older amps that came with it.
    I won't buy an amp without spring reverb and tremolo.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't wonder about tremolo or effects. I wonder why more amps don't have built in "power scaling".

KCJonez and a_pidgeon like this.
  7. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I need to convince the wife i "need" a prri or drri in my life.
    You know the few times ive had amps with some form of scalling ive always wound up going back to the wide open setting. I guess i dont like to "bottle neck" the amp too much. It usually seems more brittle and less dynamic to me without that great a reduction in volume by the time i get it sounding right again.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    As it turns out from going through many trem pedals, I went back to the old amps for a listen. It is the old Princeton and Vibro Champ's trems that I wanted and they use what is called a "bias" trem which uses the bias of the power tubes or pre amp tubes (this is beyond my technical understanding, but apparently there is a difference). So, that narrows the field of trem pedals quite quickly. Sure enough that was the answer for me. I got the VFE Old School which has become almost an always on pedal and then I bought The Mr. Black Deluxe Plus for my grab and go mini board. The D+ Is a fairly simple pedal that adjusts like an amp and has a great reverb as well and being battery powered I am now just using that pedal with my Greta and VHT S6U, which makes both amps sound awesome. The Old School is to die for and is very complex, so you can get sweetness in so many ways.

Look up Carl's Custom Amps for a good mildly detailed difference between Fender's three different trem circuit design explanations if interested.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think all power scaling is the same but, I agree that at higher scaling the sound can sound very compressed.

10. pelle31

pelle31 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Arnprior,Ontario
    The answer seems obvious.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    RoyBGood, BearNotes, Anode100 and 2 others like this.
  11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I am big trem fan and have a pedal that I like ok, but would like to check out other options. For as much of a “must have” effect as it is for me, I’m actually quite ignorant about them (and everything else!).

I got a good deal on a used, fairly basic BBE trem pedal (that works pretty well) at a pawn shop, and haven’t really look into it any more.

If you have a Trem pedal with toobs in it, it is probably out of my meager price range.

12. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2015
    Here and there
    Someone mentioned Supro. The super simple one knob Thunderbolt/Big Muff/tilt (call it what you like) tone control is just a great, versatile, idiot-proof option for guitar amps. No idea why it isn't more common.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Cover
    Some type of tilt back system built in

a_pidgeon likes this.
  14. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    I think I am the only person who does not like tremolo and never touch it on any of my amps. Now reverb is something I couldn't live without. Any amp I own either has reverb or there is an outboard reverb unit plugged into it.

I think one of those 1/4 watt switches would be neat to have on a new amp. And like someone has already said, how about a cabinet actually made of wood instead of pressboard.

stratoman1 likes this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I don't think of my tremolo as tone-sucking at all...quite the opposite, actually.

I'll occasionally set the SPEED and DEPTH controls of the Vibrato effect of my Vibroverb to "0" and then turn the effect on to add that weird little creamy something to the sound, without the wobble...:cool:

...but maybe I'm just weird. I've been corrected several times on another thread lately about my experiences with and opinions on certain pedals...because, you know--I can't have a different feeling or experience with something.

16. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    You bigot how dare you disagree with.... lol had to.
    I have yet to get my hands on one of the supros but from what i understand it should be similarish to the isf on the blackstars which i love.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Here's a simple one.....tall enough rubber feet that if you place a combo amp on top of another amp, the top amp should clear the handle of the amp on the bottom. When combos have 1/4" tall feet and a typical amp handle is 3/4" it's problematic.

Greta's have tall feet. You can actually place a Greta on top of another amp without the unstable wobble effect.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Because tremolo is annoying to a lot of people.

19. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    West Island, Quebec
    Dual attenuation. Without a doubt. It solves the modern need for lower volume situations, but answers the purists' desire to have tubes cooking at optimal levels. But it's really rare.

My Sky King lets you knock db off on both the clean and lead channels independently. For example, I can run the equivalent of 18 watts (instead of the full 35) on clean, then switch over to lead that is attenuated one notch lower so that overall volume is matched.

So, it solves not only the volume jump of most lead channels, but you set your base output at anywhere from bedroom quiet to roaring loud, and set up the lead to match the clean output level.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The BBE Tremor is emulating the signal oscillating tremolo of most Blackface and Silverface amps. It is a personal preference kind of thing. Listen to an old Vibro champ and compare to decide which you like otherwise you'll be like me chasing trem through various pedals.

BTW, sorry I didn't mean to mislead you. My two bias type terms are just emulating the bias tubes, but not real tubes. However, I could have bought 5 of my old Rocktron Tremolo pedals for one VFE Old School.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.