Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why dont more amps have "this"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grim83, Apr 15, 2018.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    Curious to see what option everyone wishes more amps would come with, I'll start.

Tremolo. I'm not much of a pedal guy but i love trem and wish every amp i bought had it built in. Alot of classic amps had it but most of the newer breed doesnt for whatever reason. My main amps are Blackstars and the cheap fender champ 600 from a few years ago, and i find it highly annoying that none of them have it....sigh....guess i gotta convince the wife i need a new amp... yea a new amp totally easier than a pedal lol.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Probably because good trem pedals are cheap and plentiful, and also probably because onboard tremolo came to be viewed as a tone sucking distraction in the signal pathway.

Evil Funk, RoyalBaby, motwang and 2 others like this.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    foot-switchable effects loop.

4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    Hmmm interesting topic, and a good excuse to buy another amp!;):) My amp does have tap tremolo, so never really thought about adding a tremolo pedal. Other than a crunch/gain channel and reverb, I can't think of anything else.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I really like the sound of a bias modulated trem. But short of that, no need to build it into the amp, because my Duncan Shape Shifter is everything I could want of a tremolo. Probably would be even better if I stuck it in an effects loop, but I never use those even when I have them.

6. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    Mine has that as well.;):)

Lef T and homesick345 like this.

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    My DRRI has all the tremolo anybody would ever want. Almost too much.

drf64 likes this.

8. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    If I had to choose between Trem and Reverb, I would opt for Trem. But that's just me. Reverb can be a big noise problem in amps and a lot more components to do it too. I have to say though, I just use a trem pedal now even though my amps have trem. I hate having to set up the Fender style Trem footswitch with the rigid cord and separate from my pedalboard.
    I guess I'm one of the few that like the standard trem rather than the tube driven pitch shifting trem. Not a fan of the pitch shift. Not really what I want to hear.

Fiesta Red likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I love tremelo, too.
    Tremelo on tube amps can indeed cause problems, but not deal-breaking problems.
    I use the tremelo on my Roland Cube 80XL amp all the time.
    It has the perfect "depth", IMO.

10. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I should add that my trem pedal (cheap Donner Alchemy) seems to stay cleaner as it cycles than the trem in my fender amps. So that's a reason I just use it.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I don't think I'd ever really used tremolo in 40 years of playing - until I recorded an album last year.* And then I found it really useful.

It's one of those things like delay that I'd never really bother with in the aural mud of a live performance. But in the unforgiving studio situation I need all the help I can get.

*Disclaimer: bedroom Bandcamp album.

12. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I agree, I'd also prefer delay to verb. My little fly3 i use when travelling light has delay instead of verb and after a bit of fiddling i realized how much more useful it is to me than darn near anything else. But trem is such a classic and iconic sound its a shame its not on every amp.

I also wish more modern tube amps were single channel non mv style. I love my blackstar ht amps but nothing is like pushing a single channel amp to power tube distortion.

13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    I feel like every amp should come with an FX loop.

stratoman1 and cactusrob like this.

14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Things I like in an amp that aren't available in very many:

*Foot-switchable effects loop
    *Variable level for effects loop
    *Tremolo (analog)
    *Pre- and Post- EQ controls
    *Foot-switchable EQ

a_pidgeon likes this.

15. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    For me it's a solo boost (basically two master volumes that are footswitchable). My Mesa nomad has it and it is superb for clean solos and those moments when you want to be huge in the mix.

The other thing is midi. Lots of multi-fx now have midi and if I could use that to channel switch the amp I could get rid of the Footswitch.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    As it turns out, I like one specific trem that was in only a few certain 60s Fender amps. I found the pedal that nails it and now I have my favorite trem available on all of my amps. What is not to like? We are in the golden era of pedals, so take advantage of it.

What I think amps should have is a 9VDC out to power pedals. I know there are a few, but c'mon, let's get serious.

ecosse, cactusrob, teletimetx and 3 others like this.

17. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    I'd ask for a parametric mid control. Mids are usually the trickiest to dial in when in different environments.

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    A decent pine/birch cabinet, instead of tone-killing MDF.

Lush-enough reverb.

Enough quality design and build that they don't RATTLE when you play certain notes.

A good sweep in the knob controls.

The mid knob that Mincer just reminded me of.

Any combination of the above.

t guitar floyd and JustABluesGuy like this.

19. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Footswitchable master volume. It's the best feature I've had on an amp. It's made my thunderverb my essential amp. Each channel has a gain and volume and a master "attenuator" that can be turned on and off. Incredibly useful.

dogmeat likes this.

20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Which trem is that might I ask?

zephyrR1, telemnemonics and Piggy Stu like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.