Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why doesn't the PitchBlack get more respect?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rich_S, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I use the monoprice tuner. Works great for 15.00 or so

2. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    I love my PitchBlack. I find it to be a quick & accurate tuner that last super long on a non-alkaline dollar store battery. I never have had any pop issues with mine and I stomp the heck outta it from time to time to do that stutter signal effect....it does have a soft click button but I don't hear a pop ever (maybe because of the battery power??).
    I would definitely get another PitchBlack if I decide to do 2 or more dedicated boards!

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Okay, so maybe used prices DON'T equate to "respect". The PB gets plenty of respect here, and I'm all about bang for the buck. I bought a PB off a Reverb last night for half of what a TU-3 would have cost.

So my board will be 4/8 Boss instead of 5/8. No biggie.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    pitchblack does pop a little thru my amp, but the pop is quite small compared to other true bypass pedals I was using, and then ditched because of their pop.

Its a good tuner. we recently did a noon broad daylight DIRECT sunlight show and the display on my pitchblack was arguably more readable in direct sun than the TU-3 and the TC Polytune, at least to my old burnt out eyes.

I have the old TU-2, but it wont run on battery power without mangling the output for some reason. Weird. Was a nice tuner in its day, still seems to work ok with a power source.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I wanted a cheaper tuner for my 2nd board and ended up with an older Korg PT-10.
    I like it. Works great.
    Had it on an outdoor stage a few weeks ago - really bright, sunny day and it lit up enough to keep myself in tune.

I have a Polytune on my bigger board and that's a keeper, too.

6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I have a TC Polytune and two Korg Pitchblacks. I prefer the Pitchblacks. I don't use the polyphonic tuning in the Polytune, and I like the battery life and display of the Korgs better. Now I use the Korgs for upright bass, acoustic guitar, and fiddle rigs and the Polytune for electric guitar. The Polytune works, so I don't plan to replace it, but when I have to replace it, I might just get another Korg pedal, unless at that time I need something that's buffered.

Does anyone have experience with the T-Rex Tunemaster? I'm attracted to the switchable buffer and top jacks. (Ignore if that question is too much of a threadjack.)

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have a Pitchblack (very nice tuner) but gigged Polytunes because the Polys are faster.......strum open E, see the problem, then switch to that string and get the big display on that string. I think the Polytunes are like Pitchblack 2.0.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Pitchblack is my oldest pedal.
    No problems indoor or out.
    Always works, I never question if it is on or off.
    No pops.
    Stays off my radar.
    Virtually invisible.
    I dig the silhouette more than other tuners.
    I always like traditional chrome switch-buttons.

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I had a Pitchblack but after a few years it started having trouble locking onto my high "E" string. Not acceptable for live playing, so I relegated it to using it at home and at rehearsal. A few months or so later it started getting unreliable in general so I threw it out.

Bought a Turbo Tuner ST-200 a few years ago for my pedalboard and couldn't be happier with it. Also bought a used Boss TU-2 at a great price for situations where I don't need/can't use a pedalboard and it's also been flawless.

10. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    I dig my Pitch Black. It got me thinking about the first tuner I had back when no one had one... a Boss TU-60. Real primitive but still works fine. I used to tune everyone's guitars and basses before playing, and that was back when nearly everyone tuned by ear... terrible!
    Sorry to change the subject. TU60.JPG

Staypuft1652 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.