Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why doesn't the PitchBlack get more respect?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rich_S, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    In economic terms, "respect" equates to sales prices in the used pedal market. I'm revamping my main board once again and am in need of a pedal tuner. I'm a Boss guy, and 4 out 8 pedals on the board are already Boss, so I figured I'd grab a used TU-3 off Reverb. However, I can't help noticing that the standard Korg PitchBlack is going for about $35 less on average than the TU-3.

This happened last time I needed a tuner, too. That time, I set a price I wanted to spend for a used tuner and used eSnipe to auto-bid on a list of TU-2s and PitchBlacks. I got outbid on a few Boss pedals, and then scored a hit, winning a PitchBlack. It's been a solid, serviceable tuner, but you know... it's just not a Boss.

I understand that the Boss is buffered and the PitchBlack is true-bypass, but it makes no difference to me because 1) I already have four Boss buffers on my board (not to mention the all-digital Canyon delay), and 2) true bypass is by and large a bunch of hooey.

So, if the Korg is functionally as good as the TU, why the big price difference? I'd like to keep it in the Boss family, but jeez, thirty-five bucks for the logo? Should I just go with another PitchBlack?

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    The Korg should be fine. Boss pedals are the most reliable pedals out there and that is why you see them on just about every pedalboard out there (touring and otherwise). It is not the logo. You are paying for security.

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    korg always made a good tuner and i think my first metronome was a korg. it's a no brainer, save the 35 and don't look back.

4. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Korg has had a reputation as a synth company long before they started into the pedal world. But Boss has had a presence in pedals for a very...long...time. People buy Boss partly because of name recognition and reputation, hence the reason why they they don't need to compete price-wise with a less expensive Korg.

So Korg may be just as good, but people will continue to throw money at Boss for the exact same thing.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Boss pedals, being that I am such a tightwad, and that I don't need my pedals to be "road worthy." But, I can respect the place they have carved out for themselves in the market.

Golem likes this.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Actually, I think Boss are great pedals for a tightwad, because you can buy used and trust that it's going to keep working. Prices are low on the common, non-collectible Boss pedals, so they are usually my first answer when somebody needs a "starting point" pedal. Need a flanger? Used BF-2. Delay? Used DD-3. Clean boost? GE-7.

But that logic seems to fall apart on tuners, since they have no "sound". I know from experience that the PitchBlack is well-built, accurate, reliable, and has a display I can understand.

I'm just going to miss that Boss treadle.

6. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    because the pitchblack pops--loud. returned 2x

7. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Hmm. Never noticed that with mine, though it's a known problem with many true-bypass pedals.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Just buy it.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    It's because Jakedog doesn't endorse them anymore. ;)

xafinity likes this.

10. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I've had a PitchBlack for several years. Always worked fine, never noticed the pop the previous poster had. I got it when my old TU-2 died.

11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I can't speak to the Pitchblack but I have a Pitchblack Plus, TU-2 and Peterson Strobostomp II. The Pitchblack Plus is my least favorite. It's big, wider than the other 2. For me, it doesn't lock on to a note as well as the other 2. Because I don't use it often I forget how the buttons work and often push the wrong one. I don't recall it ever popping.

All that said I have gigged with it with no problem and If it was my only tuner I wouldn't rush out to replace it. It's great for running 2 guitars.

My brother and I had a band where we switched off playing bass. We had different basses but used the same amp. The Pitchblack Plus was great for switching back and forth without unplugging anything.

Mr Green Genes and viccortes285 like this.

12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    The pitchblack was the first pedal I bought when I started buying effects about eight years ago. It is the only pedal which has never left the board, the only problem I have had was at an outdoor gig where I could not read the display in strong sunlight and had to stand over the board to shade it, otherwise it works well.

13. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    Never a single problem with the Pitchblack after 3 years of all kinds of gigs. I have the TU-2 as well and it has a short delay before it gets busy, which seems like a long time between fast paced songs. Both are hard to see in direct sunlight.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a Pitchblack on one board and a Peterson StroboStomp on the other. I'm a big fan of Korg tuners and have used them for years. I also have two WT-somthing Korg tuners that I like a lot, too, except that they are big. I run my tuners out of the tuner out jacks on my volume pedals, so they're out of line and don't effect the guitar signal to the amp.

For some unknown reason I've never liked Boss tuners.

15. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    I liked my Pitchblack so much I bought a second one! One now lives on my C&W pedalboard, the other in the backpack in which I carry my bass amp head.

Advantages (IMO):
    - True bypass - no buffer to colour your sound when bypassed
    - Battery consumption when bypassed is infinitesimal
    - Flashing LED warns when battery is running low
    - When the battery does die, the pedal defaults to bypass

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I've always used Korg tuners because when I did a comparison test years ago, the Korg locked on both guitar and bass better than other pedals (most of which had issues locking on low E on my bass guitar). I'd consider Korg an upgrade to Boss pedals, personally.
    However, that was years ago, and my original findings likely no longer hold.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Haven't they all been eaten by Snarks?

MilwMark, TigerG and Boubou like this.

18. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I have a pitchblack and TU-2 and would say the pitchblack is slightly easier to use, bigger display and it locks on the note better too. The difference is only marginal though really and I prefer the treadle on the Boss as I use the tuner as a kill switch too. I end up using the TU-2.

When the TU-2 dies I will probably get a TU-3.

19. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I have a StroboStomp and a PolyTune. I like 'em both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.