Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why does a Fender Blues Deluxe lose bass on the drive channel??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jasper6120, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Salsg

Salsg TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    SoCal
    This so-called feature is a reason I don't buy amps with shared eq. It doesnt work for me at all.
    I like to play really clean when I use the clean channel. I tend to use the neck pickup.
    Dirty I tend to use the bridge pickup. That in combination with the feature of cutting bass for the dirty or lead channel increases the difference to unacceptable levels.
    I refuse to use an external eq to compensate for what I consider a flaw.
    An amp like a DSL becomes a one channel amp for me.

2. strat a various

strat a various Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    This is a problem, IMO, more for quiet practice than loud gig volumes, as tube amps get progressively "bassier" as the volume goes up. I've usually found, standing out in the room playing through a wireless, that if I don't turn the Bass way down on the amp at high volumes with a band, the Lows muddy everything up. If you play with a low stage volume, maybe get a distortion pedal. The Drive in these Fender "Hot Rod" series amps is pretty heinous, anyway.

3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    I use the clean channel only on my Blues Deluxe with the Volume at 8.
    It has a great full crunch sound at this volume but it's loud as hell.
    That's why i bought a Volumebox for the FX-Loop.
    Now i can tame the volume with no loss of bass.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-19 um 12.45.40.png

4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Sorry, Tube Screamers do not boost any frequencies. I know, I'm being pedantic, but this myth refuses to die.
    Tube Screamers *cut* Bass and Treble, leaving the mids alone, which gives the illusion of boosting the mids.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    It refuses to die because it's not a myth, the tube screamer boosts mids. The minimum drive setting has a gain of 12x. Mids are being boosted. You don't seem to understand how the circuit works.

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    While cutting the bass and treble, isn’t it also normally used with a volume boost as well?

Isn’t that “effectively” the same thing? I have no doubt you’re technically correct, but does it really matter when the end result generally sounds exactly the same?

I’ve never put one on an oscilloscope, and I’ve also never heard anyone use one at unity gain, so for all practical purposes describing it as “boosting” mids, even if not technically correct, is still a useful description of what it “sounds like” to someone who has never heard one.

I’m a bit of a gear head, so I appreciate a better understanding of how it actually works, but most players probably don’t care about such minutiae.

If someone had told me that the TS “just” cuts your bass and treble as a description, I would never have tried one.

That sounds terrible! :eek:

I really do appreciate the education though! Thanks!

7. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    He's not correct. It cuts bass, boosts the signal, then cuts highs. The end result is a mid boost as you said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.