Why Do We Eat What We Eat When We Eat It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, May 18, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Over a bowl of cereal breakfast this morning this morning I got to thinking. Yes, dangerous, I know. But I've cereal is sometimes referred to as "Breakfast Food." Then I got to wondering how and why cereal became "breakfast food." Why couldn't I eat it for dinner? And why not eat lunch for breakfast? I've had cold pizza for breakfast. It didn't kill me. Why not have roast turkey, green beans and mashed potatoes for breakfast? Or a bowl of oatmeal for dinner? Would it hurt to have a breakfast burrito for lunch like I did yesterday?

Now I can understand that people sometimes take a long time to prepare dinner. Like the roast turkey dinner I mentioned. You don't want to get up at 5:00 AM to make breakfast that won't be ready until 9:00 AM. Especially if you have to be at work at 8:00 AM.

But other then habit or cultural reasons, why do we eat what we eat when we eat it?

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Convenience?
    Sometimes I still like to put on a big breakfast feast for dinner sometimes.
    Dr. Pepper and cold pizza or ribs is one of my a.m. favorites.
    Sadly, most days are just tacos for breakfast.

3. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

It’s marketing. For instance, nobody really ate bacon and eggs for breakfast until Armour wanted to sell more bacon and got a doctor to say that bacon was a healthy choice for breakfast. Now we consider it normal whereas it was only lunch food before. Also, cereal is a natural progression because grains are easy on the stomach and toast (or bread in general) as well as oats have always been a go to meal in the morning.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

fast energy foods in the AM to get started
    some thing to sustain your energy level at lunch
    Larger meal at the end of the energy expence

that is the theory
    so what ever floats your floatilla for each meal

I have a cup of coffee at 03:30 AM before work , a sandwich or soup when I get home after 10:00 AM and dinner at 08:00 PM

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Because

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ive eaten ice cream for breakfast

ive eaten breakfast food for lunch and dinner (eggs bacon pancakes frenchtoast that type of food)

i pay no mind to their rules...i eat whatever i want to eat in a day!

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Back when Canada was more rural than urban, lunch was the biggest meal of the day. The farmhands would break for a big lunch, and then work until dusk. The evening meal was smaller. The industrial revolution had previously introduced the lunch break for factory workers, and the creation of the standardized school day and weekly calendar also taught children that lunch time was limited and was usually a smaller meal.

When I was kid in Australia, we had four meals a day. The school day meant a smallish breakfast and lunch and then a bigger meal for "tea" (dinner). We would then have another small meal later in the evening. That was called supper.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In my bachelor days I had many breakfasts of cold pizza.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't eat breakfast and usually don't eat anything for 6-8 hours after rising. I drink coffee all day.

Breakfast cereal and oatmeal are bedtime snacks for me. The milk I put on it would tend to make me sleepy in the daytime, and I put sugar on it so it's more like a confection. If I eat sugary stuff during the day it slows me down. However I do put sugar in my copious amounts of coffee.

The later it gets, the more I eat, right up to bedtime, until I'm stuffed. I'm told this habit is bad, but that's when I feel like eating. (And explains why I'm not hungry when I wake up.)

I hope this information has made your lives a little richer.

11. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Life's just too short for some of the "rules". Eat what you want when you want it. Nothing wrong with pizza for breakfast, popcorn for supper.

Owenmoney and getbent like this.
  12. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I worked in a paint store in the 80s and sometimes we would chip in and get pizza for lunch.

We always ordered double and put a whole pie in the refrigerator for the next morning!

8barlouie likes this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Life has changed it seems pace & structure since i was a kid. PA had Sunday blue laws and most things were closed. Now its an on demand world. I do make sure i get proper nutrients but its not in the organized fashion my mom was. One institution we have kept..big Sunday meal & we try and gather at the table. Everyone is always invited & it ties purpose back together so i can malfunction for another week.

14. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

It’s all just culture. Some places even eat bugs!!!

Also, people don’t realize they can control their stomachs, so they get locked into a particular type of food.

Teleterr likes this.
  15. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm in open rebellion against this new so-called "Breakfast Pizza".

There was already a breakfast pizza, which is any good pizza eaten (usually cold) for
    breakfast.

++

Some groceries now invite you to buy cereal in bulk, such as 6 really large boxes of those Shredded Wheat big biscuits, $ 1.59 per box if you buy 6. Now, that's too much breakfast food but what if the shredded wheat is eaten as a snack with melted butter drizzled over it, with a little Kosher salt? Costs a fraction of many other "pre-prepared" snack foods. I save those fancy snacks for the highway or the trail.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Owenmoney and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I was on vacation the other day and was eating a cup of ice cream at 5:00 or so when I walked into the hotel elevator. A young lady and her 2 kids got on after me, kids were like 5 to 8 years old. The little boy was staring at me so I said "Let me tell you a secret son, when you grow up, you can eat ice cream for dinner". He just continued to stare as they left the elevator. My wife just looked at me and shook her head.

18. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I generally prefer food for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper.

Owenmoney and Tommy Biggs like this.
  19. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid I would ask if I could have my dessert before dinner. Mom always said no. One day she said “when you grow up and get your own grown up life you can do anything you decide to do.” As soon as I got married I started putting dessert on my dinner plate when I served myself dinner. My parents thought it was silly. Just before my dad passed away he said he secretly admired me for it. He tried it once and my mom put her foot down.

Tommy Biggs, RodeoTex, Asmith and 4 others like this.
  20. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

My grandmother was born at the turn of the last century. She said she and her mother always cooked bacon first when they were going to make potatoes or eggs. They cooked in the bacon grease. That saved them from having to use their lard. Sometimes they would reuse bacon grease when they were running low on bacon. It was such a way of life for her that when she was in her eighties she was still cooking with bacon grease when we would visit her.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.