Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do we call people from the United States "American"...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Only thing I kind of draw the line on is when it is used as a official spoken language ;)

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes, imagine a whole country where the entire population is allowed to think for themselves. It's a tragedy.

getbent likes this.

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    "she told us that Canadians are Colonists, and Austrailians are criminals" My English ex would say that.

If naming the American continents after Amerigo Vespucci was an error, then should we be called Columbians or Colonians after Columbus or Colon? Or if Vikings were the discoverers should we be called Vikings or Vikingians? Or Polynesians because some believe those peoples were the discoverers? Or if Native Americans/First Nations/American Indians are descended from the Siberians who crossed the Land Bridge, then we are Siberians?

When I have traveled to Europe and folks asked where I am from I said California, and pretty much everyone knows California and lots of folks have visited our glorious Bear Flag Republic.

As to Mexico, it has its share of recent and past immigrants - Italians, Germans, French, Irish, Chinese, Lebanese, Japanese, Eastern European, etc. And even some people from the USA. My Greek grandfather who was Pontic Greek from Turkey emigrated there. There are also descendants of Africans, Filipinos, and Polynesians.

4. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I've been Canadian all my life and I've never wanted to be called American. I've also never cared that Americans call themselves American. I've never known anyone that felt this way. I've been to PEI many times. I can drive there in 3 hours. I am getting confused though. Interesting reading as well.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Hah! :lol:

6. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    In some countries you are known as 'Septic Tanks'

AndrewG likes this.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I’m shocked that this thread has seen 125 responses and it’s still here, a testament to the decency and civility of the
    TDPRI members and especially those of the Bad Dog Cafe. Bravo,

Now these discussions are good as long as they don’t end with everyone wanting to re-name their country.
    I can’t imagine at this time if we re-named this country just what names would be suggested.

soulgeezer likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's definitely not correct, but neither is Latino.

We call them Spanish because Spain colonized the territories, and they're sure not speaking German in most of Latin America.

And America isn't a whole continent. North America is one, South America is another.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Give it a little more time.

boredguy6060 likes this.

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Yeah, at some point somebody will bring up Brazilian rosewood, that’ll lead to a discussion of toneood, THEN this thread will be done for!

Ira7 likes this.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh...

Looking to get this thread closed, are we?

You should worry about Canada, not the U.S. We're doing just fine!

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Damn. See my post right above.

It took 10 seconds from when I posted what you replied to.

soulgeezer likes this.

13. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    America’s just like any family: We squabble amongst ourselves, but let somebody screw with one of us and we get united real fast!

brobar and Ira7 like this.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    What's this "we"? You have a mouse in your pocket?

15. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Huh???

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I was living in Florida when 9/11 happened, and I was never prouder to be American, when thousands of emergency responders from all over the country converged on NYC to help.

I was also proud of the Canadians around Gander, whose regular folk rallied to help stranded passengers, since so much air traffic was diverted there. It brought tears to my eyes. There's a great documentary on YT about it, with Tom Brokaw. I think it was called Operation Yellow Ribbon, but I'm not sure.

Funny how every single Canadian shown on film called us "Americans," without this idiotic idea that we don't have a right to call ourselves that.

soulgeezer likes this.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Canadians and Mexicans are not Americans. These countries are called Canada and Mexico.

Why is this so difficult for some of you guys to understand?

What kind of weird psychological issues are at play here?

18. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    We are all hozers.

SecretSquirrel and soulgeezer like this.

19. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Western Hemisphere = Occidental. Eastern Hemisphere = Oriental.

So, there are words already. You don’t need to invent them.

20. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    When I have lived in Spain - and I've lived there twice - they typically called all Americans "Yankees". Other countries also engage in this incorrect and potentially offensive practice.

The problem is that the term "yankee" applies to those who are from the northeastern United States. During our Civil War, which is known in the southern United States as The War of Northern Aggression southerners did not take kindly to yankee soldiers invading their lands. General Sherman's "March to the Sea" rubbed salt in a deep wound. Given our U.S. history, calling someone from the southern United States a yankee - which I heard many Spaniards do - can be taken as very offensive. We Americans avoid all of this because we are united in viewing ourselves as Americans, a moniker given to us colonists by the British four-hundred years ago.

Though you are worlds apart, I hope this has taught Aussies and Spaniards and all others a valuable lesson about Americans.

Now, let's get back to talking about guitars, amps, speakers, etc.!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.