Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do we call people from the United States "American"...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug B

Doug B TDPRI Member

May 29, 2017
    Canada

And don't forget Argentinians, Chileans, Brazilians, etc,etc...

2. Doug B

Doug B TDPRI Member

May 29, 2017
    Canada
    Brooklyn? :p

soulgeezer likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We are all *North* Americans. "Americans" is taken. If you're looking for a word to describe someone from the Western Hemisphere ... don't. Do you need a word for someone from the Southern Hemisphere? How about Australian? ;)

And what about the Eastern Hemisphere? When was the last time you needed a word to cover someone from Nigeria, Norway or North Korea?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018

4. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    In Spain we call you “Estadounidenses” that would maybe stand as... “unitestaters”

They leads me to another question... why do you call “Spanish” to the people from South American Countries? Spanish should be only people from Spain... Anyway we say “Spaniards” when traveling abroad.

[​IMG]

schmee likes this.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I've been thinking about calling myself a Canadian.

Whether they'll have me or not.

6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    I'm a bona fide Yankee, having grown up in CT and Maine. After living in Texas for many years, you don't want to be calling anyone there a "Yank." You'd walk away with a limp -or worse.

jackinjax and Ira7 like this.

7. BigDaddyLH

Australia is a safe distance from Texas.

Bakeacake08 and jonnyfez like this.

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    We call them Spanish because that's the language they tend to speak and it's easier than finding out where they actually are from.

No one calls Brazilians Spanish. And, European Spanish are generally called Spaniards.

For the rest, they either get really cheesed off or just let it slide. But they much prefer to be called by the country they came from (Colombian, Dominican, Argentinian, etc.).

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Are you including Arkies, and Okies in this treatise? What 'bout Texas?

10. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Wonder why it was called America instead of Vespuccia. That would simplify things, they’d be Vespas.

AAT65, televillian, jackinjax and 6 others like this.

11. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    we have a close friend from Oxford England who has lived in Canada since I was about 18 when I first met her, she told us that Canadians are Colonists, and Austrailians are criminals
    ( now you have to understand she is considerably older than my wife and I , when she was in school that is what they were taught at the time, since deemed totally inappropriate , and she does not believe this for a moment ) But I do tease her about it every chance i get!

12. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    I would guess once European colonies were established in the Americas only the actual Spanish colonists were referred to as Spanish since they were likely from Spain or children of Spaniards, then as time went on, towns grew and natives married and had children with the Spanish and the population grew with native, Spanish, the mixes of them(and of course the occasional traveling salesman). Meanwhile the children of English colonists referred to anyone from the Spanish colonies as Spanish because that's what they heard people from those places called in the past going back to when the first people in the European descended town really were Spanish and the English colonists' descendants didn't differentiate the actual ancestral makeup of the people there. And so forth down until now.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    The word Canadia was A JOKE

Yes, England was conquered by the Romans, but it wasn't really much of a colony. More of a suppressed client state

Having a load of military bases somewhere your people don't want to be isn't really colonisation? Colonisation is when a load of them set out to colonise it?

beagle likes this.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    We don't like to be called Americans because we're proud of being Canadian and mostly, we are not Americans. Aren't you proud of being American? Would you like to be called a Canadian?
    "Hey, this Soulgeezer. He's Canadian."

I've never heard such a comment either.

No way. I'm calling BS on this one. No Canadian with a properly functioning brain would complain about Americans calling themselves American.

Canadians don't think that.

I've never met a single person here who thinks like this. I've never heard it, read it, heard someone talking about it, or read anything even remotely referring to such a bizarre idea.

Canadians are not bummed about you guys claiming the word.

Warren Pederson and Norton72 like this.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Considering all of the stuff going on these days, is it really all that accurate to refer to America as the UNITED States? "United" doesn't seem to apply right now.

16. BigDaddyLH

I think we can all agree, I like turtles.

Anode100 likes this.

17. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    I definitely like turtles. I stopped and moved one on across the street. I hate seeing roadkill.

Call me... Earthling.

18. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    I'm reminded of a line that Poe wrote in one of his stories:

“You are young yet, my friend,” replied my host, “but the time will arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself of what is going on in the world, without trusting to the gossip of others. Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see."

19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Back in the mid 90's my friend and I spent a year backpacking around Europe. Not surprisingly, a large portion of the fellow backpackers we met were Canadian, and many of the HATED it when we said we were American, pulling out the ubiquitous "we're American, too" response. It got so bad that my stock reply to "where are you from" became "I'm from the States", just to avoid conflict. While there were some who strongly objected to citizens of the US calling ourselves "Americans", there were just as many that could have cared less. Some of the best friends I've ever had were Canadians that I met on that trip.

Ira7 likes this.

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    'We' don't.

My mother's family was from Mexico, she was of Spanish and Native American descent. They identified themselves as Spanish, the same way that an American might call himself Irish, or a Spanish person might say he was Catalan. It's a nod to his ancestry.

Again, we can call ourselves anything we want to.

Ira7 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.