Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do we call people from the United States "American"...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    we don't speak the Queen's English

we're more creative I guess

; )

2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

1. Just to confuse matters: I was born in Kent which makes me a Kentish man; Kent is part of England so I'm also English; England is part of the Great Britain so I'm also British; Britain is part of the United Kingdom so I'm a UK citizen; I was raised in east Anglia so I see myself as East Anglian; I 'm a naturalized Australian so I'm also an Aussie; when I got my Ancestry DNA results back it showed an even more confusing picture. Methinks we just need to .call our selves whatever we feel most comfortable with.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I live less than 50 miles from the Canadian border and listen to CBC Radio every day. The on-air CBC folks consistently refer to U.S. citizens, U.S. policies, U.S. politicians, U.S. places etc. as "American."

My impression is—and I've heard at least one Canadian say it—that CBC announcers and most Canadians don't want to be called or mistaken for "Americans."

I used to be very wary of using the word "American" to mean exclusively U.S. citizens, but it's just the fashion and everyone knows what's meant by it so I'm not so strict with myself. In casual conversation if I want to make the distinction, I might call Americans "USicans" (pronounced "you-ESS-icans").

There is the Organization of American States, includes basically all of North And South America (together known as "the Americas").

Love that geography test video clip! There are some fun "name the countries on the map" type of puzzle/game tools, mostly on geography websites, that can help bone up on world geography.

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Here in Florida we have the city of Tampa. You can guess what we call them.

5. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Not if they're Texans...

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Don't be silly. There's no "p" in Tamworth. Besides I'm not from Tamworth

See. this is more like it.

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Some might think your novella means you were foolish enough to have taken me seriously....

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Ok, I'm Tired.

10. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Silver Supporter

Jan 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    OP...Tell the ones who it bothers so much to get over it.

11. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Hopefully in the end, I hope been decent enough, to be called HUMAN :)

12. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I'm not offended. Carry on. I doubt very much that this discussion could offend me.

13. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Going by my schoolboy Geography … Mmmm well that was a long time ago now …

Anyone in the continent of North America can call themselves an American. A Costa Rican even a Panamanian (where the land bridge to the South America continent is) are every bit as entitled to call themselves an American as is a Mexican! (Just as anyone here, in the UK, much to the annoyance of some fellow Brits, is/can call themselves a European - as that's the continent we're in.)

Similarly, I can't see any reason why anyone in South America could not also call themselves an American if they chose to, on a continental basis.

But, just sticking with the original question … Canadians are called Canadians because way back in the midst of colonial days the French, I believe, called the area they colonised Canada. Why - I've no idea.
    Mexico, I believe, similarly owes it's nation name to Spanish colonisation (again why I've no idea) and so why not nowadays call people living there Mexicans?

So, why can folk born in the USA call themselves Americans … mainly because no one else/no other nation wanted to/thought of doing it! So, presumably, over time custom and practice have become a sort of international legal entitlement?
    Otherwise, I suppose, according to your constitution (and don't lose your senses of humour here) you would be called "We the peoplians"?

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Such as?

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I think I'll just say 'the moon' and I think we can adjourn.

Flakey likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So why do so many Americans not believe the Moon landing?

17. getbent

freedom. it is a right.... like most power tools, it can do amazing, wonderful things and it can clog your toilet.

Nickadermis and william tele like this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That reminds me :oops:

19. getbent

another vegan doing harm to porcelain!

LeftFinger likes this.

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Okay. You walked on the moon. Whether or not that was the whole country coming together to achieve that is another question.

Anything else that no-one has ever done?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.