Why do used pickup trucks cost so dang much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Mar 14, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

nope. I have full insurance on my truck. Again, only if you do the bringing it off the salvage (not what I recommend) buy the car that has already been 'cleansed' and insure and drive it... unless it has a bent frame or was underwater (and even then, I MIGHT be interested) you are good to go.

the stuff you listed are myths I hear from people all the time who didn't actually do it themselves they just kind of 'heard' about it.

MickM and noah330 like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Last month, I bought a 2018 Nissan Frontier after saying goodbye to my 1997 Ranger I had had for 20 years. Was amazed how well the Ranger held its value.

The Frontier was exactly 10K more than I paid for the Ranger. It is a 4x4 and the Ranger was not.

Anyways, around here, newish used trucks are hard to find if you want certain features, so I went to Carvana.

3. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I have a 2004 F150 with the 4.6 V8 and it struggles to tow itself. Definitely not a trailer puller.

I hope they worked the kinks out of those V6s. My father in law had one in a 2016 F150. Shelled out 3 engines in the first 15,000 miles. Something about the turbo failing each time....

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Buy a 70's f100-250 and restore it. It will be superior to any new truck and it will retain or increase it's value. It should also last the rest of your life with minimum maintenance.

It will also be useable if there is ever an emp strike when shtf.;):twisted:
    Bonus that they also look and sound cooler than any newer truck.

I have always owned 2 vehicles, pickup trucks along with cars and have rarely lost much due to depreciation when it's time to sell the pickups. I often break even 5 years later due to buying cheap used and selling for the same price. I always loose on the car sales.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Zepfan likes this.
  5. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I have the 2014 3.5 ecoboost. No problems with 80k on it. Nothin eco about it though . I get around 15-16 mpg in town. It sure can tow though

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

One of my reasons for buying a newer, midsized truck is they get way better gas mileage. It will still cost me more, even after calculating the fuel savings,
    but I will feel better about it from an environmental perspective. I heartily agree, however, that it is possible to break even on the sale price for
    certain older vehicles. The only real issue becomes the cost of maintenance while you own it. If it's the right vehicle, that's really cheap, too.

To put it in perspective my last vehicle with a pickup bed was a 1960 VW Crewcab. I bought it in the early 90s. I think I paid something like
    $8k for it, sold it for twice as much about five years later, and now it is worth way, way more than that. It had been all tricked out with sweet drive train done by
    a really good VW mechanic and racer. Dual Dellorto carbs, beefed up transaxle, the works. It was a death trap, though-- I remember coming down
    grades and having the four drum brakes start to fade on me.

Another possible way to save money is to keep my eye out for a manual transmission. All the younger folks have no idea how to drive them so
    they tend to go for a lower price.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

"Tacomas are the worst-- resale value is so high that given lower interest rates on new cars you might as well buy a new one."

My guess would be that's because (if Tacoma's are built like Toyota sedans and SUVs) 80K is not half of the truck's lifespan, more like only a third if you take care of it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Used pickups are expensive in my neck of the woods too. However, I see them all the time for sale with 400,000 km (250,000 miles) and sometimes with double that mileage. While the majority of the high price is due to supply and demand (lots of Americans come up here and buy used pickups because the exchange rate makes the price attractive) I also think the fact that people know you can keep it on the road for a long time helps them maintain value.

9. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No limit on mine - 2012 Ford F250 4-door crew cab with a full 8 ft bed (but you probably won't find an 8 ft bed on a mid size truck)

But I tow a 10,000 lb travel trailer, and use it to haul a full band PA etc. Plus I live out in the country and I'm always hauling stuff that is messy that I wouldn't want to put on the inside of a nicer vehicle.

And it's also as long as an ocean liner, so it's always fun trying to park. The turning radius is about half the length of Texas!

But I do agree on SUV comment. My other vehicle is a Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate, and if I'm not hauling the full PA, I can fit a LOT of cargo in there.

And, since I live in rural Texas, it's the law to own a big truck :D

Cheers,
    Doug

Stubee and imwjl like this.
  10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've got a 2000 Ford Ranger. Hardly any paint left on it, about 200,000 miles, but it still runs good. Thinking of getting new paint and just driving it until it cost more to fix than what it's worth. I'll never be able to afford another pick-up.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

I've had Fords and Dodges, but the Toyota Tundra we've had for the past 7 years is the best vehicle I've ever owned. 5.7 L, but pretty reasonable on fuel when it's not towing. Pulls a loaded horse trailer around like a toy. Not one mechanical hiccup the whole time, still on the original brakes, and aesthetically looks new, even underneath, and it's never had aftermarket rustproofing. It'll get up and go, too...whisky throttle, as we say in the dirtbike world.

Stubee likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A friend just got a bargain on a manual transmission crew (not 4 door) Toyota where the dealer stocking them either gets someone who REALLY wants it or all of a sudden it's aging inventory they want gone.

Fuel economy is why the new Ranger looks good to me but I will hesitate until I know lifestyle will change again. Especially after the way we have the Outback that is fine for a greasy boat ramp and extreme traction and the stealth hitch on the lowered minivan.

FWIW, some friends have bought used Sprinters and have a winch on the front. I'm expecting this surge in camper van popularity to turn around. I know some who retired early, got sweet setups, and after 2-3 years two have already decided they don't want them as every day drivers or things they own. My friend who owns Campervan North America (Bozeman) sells his vans periodically.

Regardless, I'll be watching how the new era Ranger does for reliability and safety because the 6th decade of life will probably bring some changes to what I do. A friend who shares my background of having had trucks is a total fan of the Honda Ridgeline. Those seem rather love or hate with new generation better.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Try being a carpenter who needs the durn truck to make a not super lucrative living with high expenses, and see how you feel about the price of used pickups!

My past ire might be rude and bigoted, but a real truck is a bit more expensive to build and also to maintain as a working tool, while the market has become more and more driven by buyers of image who never carry a load or get it dirty.

While I can enjoy luxury car appts in a truck, try to find a used pickup that doesn't have the extra $10k+ lux option package!
    I guess quite a few Tacomas get sold that way, but they are kinda cars with funny sheetmetal, not really built for construction work.

I guess your market isn't really seasonal, but in the snow belt it seems like 4wd pickups are a little cheaper in spring, and in lower income areas where more users buy trucks to earn a living, rather than as recreation vehicles.

My last truck was in Mass and sold for 40% of new sticker at five years old with 64k on the clock.
    Keep hunting and you might get a lucky deal, IME a week of shopping generally nets inflated prices, and the fair price takes time to find.

It's true that lux passenger cars drop way down used, but I'd guess that's because so many buyers of lux cars want fresh new vehicles more often.
    This does make some of the HD lux vehicles worthy contenders for pulling a boat and going camping etc.
    If you can load the bikes on the boat trailer or a rear rack, some of the big truly HD lux SUVs might be attractive deals.
    Mercedes does make some pretty HD vehicles, and I believe the big Lexus SUV's have truly heavy duty drivetrains.

14. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I just bought a '19 TRD Sport. $32k. I love it. Best truck I've owned.

Adjusted for inflation (our money is worth less) it's relatively cheap.

fDgjpmcqSYiDokCWPV+U5Q.jpg

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

I half think along those lines too, but looking at used pickups it seems like those are expensive in the hot rodding market and the jacked up monster mudder market.
    And a '70s 4 door F250 in nice ready to go shape is probably worth more than a brand new one!

The second issue would be finding a mechanic who knows how to work on carbs and distributors when you break down in the sticks with a load of wife and kids and bikes and boat.
    There's always the option of putting a modern engine and trans is the antique truck, might find those parts for $1000- $1500 in a junkyard and install in a weekend.
    Plus a month of wiring.

For my purposes an old timer would make a lot of sense, since I'd never take it on a 500- 1000 mile drive. Plus I've got a garage full of mechanics tools with no boat clogging it up!
    But seriously, vintage pickups are big money!
    Oh and noisy too, you need headset radios to talk...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I have a 2003 Chevrolet S-10 I bought in 2004 (7000 miles on it). It has everything I need: manual, cruise, extended cab and great on gas. I plan to drive it until I can't anymore. My biggest worry, honestly, is that some idiot will hit me and total it out, which very nearly happened the last time I was rear-ended (been rear-ended twice in this truck since I got it...2008 and 2015). It currently only has about 165,000 miles on it, which, as S-10s go, is still pretty young (I've seen early-mid 80s models with over 300k still on the road).

For next vehicle, hopefully I'll be working as an X-ray tech by then. Depending on finances, I'll either go a Toyota Tacoma (likely used unless I'm really flush) or, if things are tight, an early to mid 60s Chevy C-10. Not really sure what I'm going to be able to do. God will provide something.

17. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Tele-Afflicted

Jeep market is even worse, or so I hear.

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I bought a stripper* Colorado a few years ago.

It has been a decent truck. 23.5 mpg for the first 20,000 miles and most of that has been in the hills of the driftless region of NE Iowa.

*2WD 2door

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I keep an eye on the used market for the old F100-250's and they can still be had for under $2k but for $5k you can get a reasonably tidy one. They still make all the parts for interior, panels etc and new crate motors, 351 Cleveland etc are not that expensive. I grew up driving older carby cars, they are very simple to work on and once tuned should give no problems for decades other than minor adjustments here and there. That's why you can still find functional examples being used still today running the original drive train. Like you say, after a restoration you can get anywhere up to $60k for one depending on how far you go with the work. I would just aim for close to stock specs with some nice old school 4x4 mags fitted. I would not fit a new fuel injected, computer reliant engine. For better economy I would probably fit a lpg gas system.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Because you want one, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.