Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Love Zeppelin. Probably in my top 10 bands of all time. I love all of their career. I think jimmy Page was brilliant. JPJ was too. Bonzo defined heavy drumming and nobody has come close since him. I personally love Plants voice through the whole thing even now. It's just spiritual insane heavy blues pop. Best of its ilk.

Colo Springs E, awasson and RLee77 like this.

2. kLyon

kLyon TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Led Zep 3 is an amazing album. And is largely acoustic.

3. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Sir Humphrey! I am impressed with the company you keep, rock stars who may be a wee bit jealous. I'm pretty sure Zep outsold the Stones by a few. Most lists put them at the #2 group and #4 overall bestsellers. Where are the Stones, scroll down... there they are, just below Barbara Streisand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-certified_music_artists_in_the_United_States

awasson and songtalk like this.

5. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That's too bad and doesn't seem right. First they went after Rod Stewart for incorrectly crediting the song and then tossed that case so they could go after Clapton. Will they go after Bob Dylan too... That just doesn't sit right. With any luck the court will toss the case because of the murkiness of the song's origin.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I missed the part about any particular rock star hating Zep, thou.
    Near as I can follow, this thread has been 'audiophiles who hate LZ'.
    I can tell you punk rockers hated Zep and any other 'corporate' band/ brand, but for entirely different reasons that have yet to be mentioned.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Don't Punk Rockers hate practically everything?

dlew919 likes this.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    So from the first album?

Colo Springs E and awasson like this.

9. dlew919

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Ask spirit why.

To be fair Wilkie Dixon sued them successfully. He then had to sue the record company for that cheque

10. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    Yep

dlew919 likes this.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    It's not jealousy. It's artistic temperament. Zeppelin was a great riff based rock band. The lyrics were awful. Pure gibberish. Plant's voice, while it served the music well, was not great.
    LOL that Townshend is jealous. The man is a true artist. His musical, lyrical composition skills dwarf those of Page/Plant.
    Do I like Zeppelin? Yes but, as I've grown older, I am less enamored by a great bit of their work. It's still fun to play but they've fallen down the list of my favorite groups.

cabra velha likes this.

12. dlew919

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Townshend praised the individuals but hated the band.

cabra velha likes this.

13. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hi Burny, I love these "arguments"; this band is way better than that one, and this guy's voice is lousy, but that guy is a true artist. LOL. Personal opinion dressed up as accepted facts. Need I point out some literary genius lyrics from the Who? "Talkin' 'bout m-m-m-m-m-my g-g-g-g-g-eneration. P-p-p-pepole try to p-p-p-p-p-ut us d-d-d-d-own, J-j-j-j-ust 'cause w-w-w-w-we g-g-g-g-get a-a-a-a-round." Wow, like Shakespeare. Didn't they do a whole "opera" about a blind pinball player?

Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, Magic Bus)
    As I drive my baby in my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus)

Deep. Lyrical Composition. At least it sorta rhymes.

'Course, this water passed under the bridge decades ago, I don' really care, but I do love the arguing. Who's better, Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali? We could go all day.

And really? Plant doesn't have a great voice? Millions would disagree. Don't even try to compare PT's guitar skills to JP's. What was that famous guitar solo Townsend recorded, the one everyone says is one of the best? Oh, that's right, that never happened. Let's see, LZ is #2 best seller, where's Who on that list? Way down there, below the Backstreet Boys, below the Carpenters, Britney, Beiber... :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Zepfan, awasson and songtalk like this.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I think Zep ripped off a few things, but that Spirit thing was a joke.

That chord progression has been used by everyone forever.

I'm in a band that plays several songs that use that exact progression, and all of those songs predate Spirit.

Not only that, but it makes up like one 10th of Stairway.

No wonder Spirit lost that case. Totally ridiculous.

Wrong-Note Rod and DonM like this.

15. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I'm aware of their faults (meaning their theft or heavy lifting of other songs) but they've been my favorite band since 92 and probably always will be. The reason I bought a guitar in the first place was "The Ocean."

RLee77 and awasson like this.

16. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Music is not a competition. I think your list of Backstreet Boys, Carpenters, Britney, Beiber et al pretty much sums up the sophistication and "taste" of the public, so Zep is in good company. LOL
    Zeppelin is like the McDonalds of Rock n Roll.

Blue Bill likes this.

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, I have to agree with that. I've heard that Spirit song and it seems to me that the progression in Stairway goes minor and the spirit one resolves to a major. I haven't heard it for a few years so I'm just going from my recollection when I was comparing the two but to me, they didn't sound remotely the same.

18. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Sure Townsend is a true artist, that's not up for discussion but he certainly recognized that his peers had technical chops he didn't possess. That probably shaped his opinions and the things he said and did back in the day. There was the feud with Jimi Hendrix at Monterey over who went on first/last. I've read that the reason Townsend didn't like "flashy little guitarists" like Page and Beck is because he was pissed off about the Beck's Bolero session and worried that they would run off with Keith Moon and John Entwistle. I can't really blame him for that concern but I think the dude is way too talented to need to slag his peers. It's not necessary.

19. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Lots of acts didn't want to follow Hendrix. He created envy and insecurity among a lot of players. IMO Page and Beck are two different guitarists and talents. Townshend no doubt had a bag full of insecurities. I personally think he was just being honest.

20. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    1f6brb.jpg

Wrong-Note Rod, RLee77 and dlew919 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.