Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Why do radio stations always play an artist's lamest song?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 8barlouie, Feb 10, 2017.

1. marivor58

marivor58 TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2012
    uk
    The definition of the old BBC Radio One now applies to Radio Two: "The same ten songs, all day long".They can take their "demographic", and shove it where the sun don't shine.

8barlouie likes this.
  2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

WOAH, THERE! You must be pretty cool.

Thinking all those songs that everyone loves are lame.

o_O:lol::p

3. Flyinlow

Flyinlow TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    There's a station I get in my truck and workshop in my barn. EVERY day, you'll hear every single radio hit by Supertramp. You'd swear they were half the records they had to play, or that maybe a band member from Supertramp passed away... When they do their call letters they should say something like "Your Supertramp Station for Northwest Ohio!" :mad::D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bakeacake08

Bakeacake08 TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Seattle
    In the last ten years there have been fewer than maybe five times that I have allowed Hotel California to play past the first five notes. The Eagles are a great band that I can't stand to listen to due to over saturation.

soulman969 and 8barlouie like this.
  6. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore
    You can blame a guy named Lee Abrams for this. He came up with the idea of polling listeners about their favorite bands/artists, and then only playing their biggest hits. Started in the early 70's I believe.

8barlouie likes this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Overplay on pop oriented stations is what got AOR stations off the ground but even those have disappeared for the most part. Satellite radio or the streaming services are the best option now.

8barlouie likes this.
  8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    [​IMG] "Shut down the devil sound!"

9. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    That's because you can check out any time you like but you can never leave

10. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    A while back Alice Cooper was comming to town and they were blitzing the airwaves with 18, Only Women Bleed, Schools Out, so I called into the request line and asked for Halo of Flies
    I was told they couldnt , but they would play 18, Only Women Bleed, or Schools Out if I wanted . sad , very very very sad!
    I never called in again!

1955 and 8barlouie like this.
  11. Even Steven is running out of fresh finds to play. I'm always game to hear Eddie Brigati or Ray Davies but at some point you realize they've played just about every song Little Steven has ever heard. Or at least those that fit in the themes of the shows.

But WFIV in Knoxville TN (alt country) is my source for that show. And that's my #2 "Cabin" radio station, behind WUTC (npr/college) in Chattanooga.

WWOZ in New Orleans plays so much local 50s and early 60s recordings, which is great but there are songs they choose not to play. No idea why.

12. What I take away from this is, NO MATTER how much pain the station goes to in finding more obscure and less overplayed songs by "better" artists, still few will be 100% satisfied. There's a sort of bottomless well of dissatisfaction you can't ever get pumped out.

We did not adequately reward the stations who did a much better job than others. We did not find meaningful ways to savage the stations who copped out and play only 15 songs, 24/7.

One more thing: this notion that "the songs were great just overplayed" is more false than true. "Me and Julio" stinks, by any measure, subjective or objective. Paul Simon will hear trash talk from me (no matter how insanely brilliant he can be) until I die unless he spends a bunch of money openly rebuking himself for ever releasing this scrock. You're going to be judged by the worst hit single you ever did unless you DO something about it. Talk to your lawyers.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    8barlouie likes this.
  13. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    You know what would be totally cool and has never been tried before? A major market station that only played Led Zepplin during evening drive time. You could give it a really clever name, too like "Get The Led Out". Get it? Cause you wanna get home in a hurry after work.

Nah…what am I thinking? It'd never catch on.

8barlouie likes this.
  14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Holic

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I guess that idea caught on coast to coast.

15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2014
    Spokane, wa
    They cater to the lowest common denominator. They aren't thinking of musicians or even the musically inclined. They are trying to poll high enough to attract businesses to advertise on their station. The music that musicians appreciate is a lot of times harder to listen to to people who don't get it.

Mid Life Crisis likes this.
  16. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"
    H.L. Mencken

a_pidgeon likes this.
  17. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    I put a lot of stock in local public radio. KXT in Dallas is a great station, and these days a radio app on your phone can connect you to stations on the other side of the country. If you can find it, a station with a show dedicated to local music is usually a breath of fresh air.

Other than that, it's NPR, ESPN, and the best available alternative station for me.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    They're not necessarily the lamest, they're the ones that pissed you off the most by constant repetition.

19. Surprised there isn't even more of this. I remember when Classic Rock began and stations would play one hour blocks of Jethro Tull or LZ, and of course there's the Dead Zone which plays Grateful Dead and sometimes songs Jerry did with others, a full hour on like at 8:00 PM on a number of stations.

8barlouie likes this.
  20. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    It's for exactly the same reason that people in bars or pubs want to hear Hey Jude instead of Hey Bulldog, or Another Brick In The Wall instead of Astronomy Domine. Audiences in these places are just like classic rock listeners - sure they want to hear music by great bands, but only the titles within their comfort zone.

Sometimes us musos forget we are not like other people.

Danjabellza and 8barlouie like this.
  21. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Radio: Airflatulence

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    8barlouie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.