Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Why do radio stations always play an artist's lamest song?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 8barlouie, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

I gave up listening to music on the radio a long time ago for that reason ,when they went to their daily set play list.All those songs that you listed , are great songs and I still enjoy listening to them now at my convenience.

AnAxeNamedBeverly and 8barlouie like this.
  2. DarkKnight37

DarkKnight37 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2016
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    WWOZ and Old School 106.7 are the only radio stations I listen to, unless I'm listening to a football game. I'm glad I live close enough to New Orleans to get some good music on the radio. I mainly listen to my iPod or Spotify, though.

gee. and 8barlouie like this.
  3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    yeah spotify....I make about 14 cents from spotify in a month!

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Deep Cuts on satellite radio
    I had an idea many many many years ago after listening to the "Top 40" drivel, to have a radio show that only played songs off albums that are never heard unless you buy the album.

8barlouie likes this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    That sucks. I don't listen to Spotify. I do have Pandora. One of my stations is Blues Channel. I swear Tab Benoit must have stock in them. Every half hour they play one of his songs.

stratoman1 likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I listen to Deep Cuts too. The other day, they played When the Levee Breaks. Really?

8. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

Rock the boat! Don't rock the boat, bay-beh! As someone once said.

9. DarkKnight37

DarkKnight37 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2016
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I wish they could get a better royalty scale figured out with the streaming services. My band's EP is on them and we've never seen a penny (never mind the fact that only, like, 12 people have listened to them...). But as a consumer, I love it! $10 a month for all the music I can handle. I've discovered so many new-to-me artists because of Spotify (and Beats when that was a thing).

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I find AAA-formatted stations to be less boring than most. Sadly, there are too few of them with a transmitter more powerful than a coffee grinder.

AnAxeNamedBeverly likes this.
  11. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    I also tuned out long ago. So many great songs ruined for me. Sad.

12. Ron R

Ron R Tele-Afflicted

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Because "demographic research" shows that a majority of people are perfectly happy hearing the same stuff over and over again on the radio.
    Precisely why I have an aftermarket car stereo that accepts USB and can read a flash drive with up to 65,000 songs on it.

Grux and 8barlouie like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

All over the Blues Rock station too

8barlouie likes this.
  14. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Lima, OH
    Channel 27 on XM radio is called "Deep Cuts".

8barlouie likes this.
  15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Because they suck

8barlouie likes this.
  16. Radioking

Radioking Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2016
    Missouri
    My former neighbor owned a classic rock station. He said that they had recently doubled the number of songs they were able to play. I don't remember exactly, but it went from either 150 to 300, or 200 to 400. It blew my mind that they had only played 200 different songs over the last 10-15 years.

I've always wondered how many times I've heard "Hotel California" or "Sweet Home Alabama" in my lifetime. I don't think I want to know.

8barlouie likes this.
  17. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    ...or "Heartache Tonight"

soulman969 and 8barlouie like this.
  18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I used to love long car trips in different parts of the country, listening to local radio stations that sure didn't seem to use playlists like these. Instead, I would hear a lot of the briefly, if ever, top 40 back in the 60s. You could hear songs such as The Boat That I Row, a Neil Diamond song recorded by Lulu. Not a great song, but at 3:00 in the afternoon in the middle of rural Colorado, something like that will trigger the endorphins in someone of my particular demographic.

Time Won't Let Me
    Sitting on a Fence
    Call Me Lightning
    Elusive Butterfly of Love
    No Milk Today
    I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
    Born Free (Ferrante and Teicher)

Some are better than others, but there was certainly a lot of variety for such a narrow audience demographic. Eventually, the music broadcast industry figured out which songs appealed to the biggest spenders, so there goes the fun and variety. In the 60s, there was a gap between what the industry people understood about changing tastes, and what happened once the industry thought it knew what it was doing. There was a brief period in which some labels started hiring younger, hip people to advise the old guard to lose Ferrante and Teicher. Fine, but a lot of nuance and shadings were lost to the past.

8barlouie likes this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    One horrible word, Clearchannel. They ruined over the air radio.'

We have a local low power channel out of the High School in Burlington, WBSD, they play some pretty good stuff sometimes.

http://wbsdfm.com/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Fiesta Red and 8barlouie like this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  21. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    Used to be called Arbitron I believe. Now it's just referred to as MK something . . . o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.