Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Why do radio stations always play an artist's lamest song?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 8barlouie, Feb 10, 2017.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Ever notice that they seem to play an artist's lamest or over-played songs over and over? How about picking something else from their entire catalog? I know some are great songs, but they wear them out by playing them the exclusion of other great works by the same band. Does anybody have any particular unfavorites?

How about:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, That Smell
    The Police, Every Breath You Take
    Rush, Tom Sawyer
    Aerosmith, Dream On
    Robert Cray, Still Hot Smokin Gun
    Eric Clapton, Layla, Tears in Heaven
    Guns and Roses, Sweet Child of Mine, Welcome to the Jungle
    And the great grand daddy of them all: Stairway
    I know I'm likely to take some flack for that one.

gitarjoe likes this.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    'cause that stuffs decided by d-bags in suits who just want to make money?

Tom Sawyer and Stairway are good songs though, just way overplayed.

gitarjoe and 8barlouie like this.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Because they take surveys of thousands upon thousands of people and determine that those "lame" songs are the ones that people want to hear. Other people, not you. LOL.

6. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    Mike Simpson is right. Sadly radio is not really concerned about music. The music is just there to get you to listen to the ads.

Kind of like how college football is not really about college nor football.

Chicago Matt and 8barlouie like this.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Thanks for all you input. I can't believe I was that naive.

8. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    Lemme guess - you're listening to a 'classic rock' station, correct? Try listening an independent or college radio station.

9. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I've never had cable as an adult. But satellite radio? Always.

XM/Sirius can get a little repetitive, but it's way better than terrestrial radio.

Jim W, sad99 and TMMC like this.

10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    You're right. Definition of insanity. Great ideas thanks.

AlbertaGriff and TMMC like this.

11. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Because what musicians find to be the "best" or "better" choice isn't necessarily (or even usually) what the general public find to be "best." I'd say that 9 times out of 10 I like deeper cuts better than the singles.

bluesky1963, Wyzsard and DarkKnight37 like this.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The songs you listed are all great songs.

They just suffer from over-rotation

bluesky1963, ac15 and TMMC like this.

13. the_lyall

the_lyall Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    I actually wrote to our local radio station (one we're forced to listen to all day at work) and asked this very question, as well as why they play the same songs over and over again every day. After all I can only take so much Taylor Swift in one day. Annoyingly, I can't find the reply, but it basically said 'these are the songs that the majority of listeners want to hear, and while there is a huge amount of music to choose from we will never be able to satisfy all tastes" etc. etc.

BBC Radio doesn't have any adverts as it's paid for by the license fee (if I understand correctly) but they still play the same songs over and over again, and it's a playlist specified by the management of the station taking into account royalties, record label agreements etc. as well as what the majority of idiots want to listen to.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to wear headphones (at work) so I can listen to something else...

8barlouie likes this.

14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    True. There are others. Most of them are like you say, over rotated.

15. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2003
    NY
    because the a-holes picking have no taste. they did not put forth the effort to listen the whole album and listen to good music. they just picked the bubble gum that plays on the radio.

8barlouie likes this.

16. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    Likely cause you're listening to the wrong stations. When you get bored with these let me know and I'll give a few more. :p

Also, WFMU has a number of great internet streams. Ichiban & Give the Dummer Some are my two favorites.

WFMU: https://wfmu.org/
    WWOZ: https://www.wwoz.org/
    KEXP: http://kexp.org/

DarkKnight37 and 8barlouie like this.

17. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I don't listen to radio much these days except background music at work. Way too many commercials nowadays. They might as well call them commercial stations that play a little music every once in awhile.

8barlouie likes this.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I don't know about you all but I never hear "Hotel California" near enough. ;) :lol:

19. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    They play the catalog they bought. These people are in the business to make money (or try to) - I think it's funny that people forget that it is these people's jobs - while it's your hobby. Like when people bash Fender and Gibson for being corporate. What are they supposed to do - be a non-profit organization? How many people if they were sitting at their job, say selling ice cream - where say vanilla is the most popular flavor - and some guy came up and said, hey, I know you'll lose money on it, but can you make a special batch of chocolate just for me? I'll love you forever. That don't pay the bills. So what does is what works.

boris bubbanov likes this.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    No surprises here, Money is behind in all...regardless, there are some excellent songs in your list. As someone already stated, many are the victim of playlist overkill.

21. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Satellite radio will broaden the songs you hear. If you want to hear songs that weren't the biggest hits XM, I think 27, plays them. Way better than on air radio.

RLee77 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.