Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do I obsess over Ampegs??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. RB522

RB522 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Burlington, WI
    I've got a V2. I think that head is as heavy as a combo amp. Sounds great, though.

PingGuo likes this.

2. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I was obsessed with Ampegs for about 5 or 6 years and have owned quite a few. I also prefer the reissue Jets starting in the 90's to the 60's. The few 60 Jets I have played broke up too early for (many might say that is a buying point) my liking. The J12T Jet which uses EL34's gets some sweet cleans and some nice crunch with a little effort.The SJ12T Super Jet has 6V6's and is more Fenderish yet still all Ampeg. I own both.

Also owned a 64 (blue diamond) Gemini II and still own a 67 Gemini II (Black Tolex w-piping) but they are LOUD 30 watt amps driving those 15" Jensens. Sweet verb and trem and the 7591's are special (and expensive) and unique plus Ampeg was the king of cabinet design and I am convinced that this contributed to their unique voicing.

Never pursued the V series because the Geminis were way too loud for my use. Same thing for the reissue R12R R212R series. Waaay to heavy and loud for this 66 year old.

I have owned two of the (Baxandall EQ) Reissues GVT Series. The GVT52 (returned-was defective and waaaay too heavy) but still own the GVT5H. It is a very Fenderish style amp but the Baxandall EQ makes this series Ampeg unique.

I am hoping they will take one more shot at reissuing a diamond tolex guitar amp.

3. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I should add my favorite amp is my J12T Reissue.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had a V-4B head. I got it for next to nothing and had it serviced. I wasn't playing bass at the time and a friend(?) convinced me to sell it to a guy in the NE. Not long after, I got a gig playing bass, so I had to put a rig together. I went with a Carvin 1 x 15", SWR 2 x 10", Carver Power Amp and an Ashly bass preamp bi amped. It sounded good, but it wasn't a V-4B!

5. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Oneida, NY
    undervalued and under appreciated tone machines. I have 2 mid 60's [rocket 2 G-12, and Gemini II]

twotone60 likes this.

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Does anyone remember an Ampeg 6x10 guitar combo amp, late 60s or early 70s? In Europe in the early 70s, I rented such an amp ... great sounding, loud. I've never seen one since.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I forgot to answer the OP's question- you obsess over Ampegs because you have good taste.

Fearnot and telemnemonics like this.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Back in the 60s, a friend (back door neighbor) had a B15N and a Gibson EBO. The summer of 1965, I was jumping the back fence every day with my Musicmaster and jamming for hours. That was a great sounding amp for guitar and bass.

Lef T and telemnemonics like this.

9. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC

10. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    I have two (but only pics of one). This is my 67 Reverbojet. Great reverb and tremolo, but I never put the tone past 2 because it gets VERY trebly. Frankly it is not a great amp, and it is not a great modding platform because everything on the PCB is quite close together, making it difficult to work on. My other Ampeg is a 62 Reverbrocket, and it is a sweet amp.
    Amp front view.jpg

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    B-22X Jupiter combo? It wasn't a 6x10 but it could easily be mistaken for one based on its size and shape.

https://reverb.com/item/943499-ampeg-jupiter-b-22x-1969-combo-amp-with-reverb-and-tremolo-rare

If that's what it is, it's a great sounding amp. Very similar to the V-2 that followed it.

13. strat a various

May 9, 2008
    Texas

14. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Are you sure it wasn't the 4x10 VT40?

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Wasn't Ken Fischer (Trainwreck) involved with Ampegs early in his career? I could look it up again, but I hope that guys here might have more to add.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    That's how I understand it, though I'm not clear exactly when he was with Ampeg.

17. strat a various

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    No, I had a friend with one of those. That's a great amp.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    most def somebody's cat got their claws in that grill, but not mine; happened some time ago. We're catless at the moment, but my wife won't have it that way for long. Maybe get some of that metal grill...

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    He was there in the mid-'60s- got hired as an assembly tech but was quickly promoted to chief repair tech. Later he did some engineering but quit in '67.

20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Not that dissimilar to Dumble and Mosrite? I mean, differences for sure, but still interesting how as young men, they were already on the move. Nothing beats passion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.