Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do I obsess over Ampegs??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thus my description stating "boutique-style" and 'flop"..

That being said, find me another hand built, point to point, newish amp that can be had for less than it cost to build. My amp tech (Bob Dixon at Amphole in LA) was shocked (in a good way) when he opened it up after I told him what it cost

24 track and Wally like this.

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I have an Ampeg cab, 4-12 that I use as an amp stand now. I used to run it with a SFTR for awhile then put it in a closet for a few years .Then I used it on a Blackstar Studio 20. Sounded great with that .But I can't use it here in my living room, it's takes up too much real estate. Tried it with 2 different Blackstar Club 40s but for some reason it doesn't like those .

20180616_163016.jpg

3. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Using my Reverberocket 2 with SG for Dead show this week. Pretty darn close to Jerry's 71 sound!

20180516_092437.jpg

PingGuo and 24 track like this.

4. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I have had both - I like the 6V6 version a lot better than the 7591. I have 2 of them right now that need work. Some day....

telemnemonics likes this.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Man, had a '60-something Reverberocket and sold it to get an AC-15. Love the Vox thing, but still wish I had that Ampeg. Great sounding amp. It was a beast.

6. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I had one of those, and it was absolutely fabulous.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Bass player till 3 years ago..Ampeg svt into Ampeg 8x10 fridge...was my rig, nothing like it..chest thump or very clear low level playing

twotone60 and telemnemonics like this.

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I'm a lifelong Fender amp guy, having owned all sorts, vintage and reissue. But these Ampegs have got my eye - and ear.

I have a slot in the lineup for a 20 something watt vintage amp, and the reverb rocket is calling my name. I'm just thinking it fits right in between a 5e3 and Deluxe Reverb.

Fearnot likes this.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Your 4x12 is the cab that came with the V4 unless I am mistaken. The 4x12 I have that came with the V2 is a tall cab...the same size as the 2 x 15 cab that came with the B25 bass amp. It is maybe 45” tall with the wheeled truck that sits under it.

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had a gemini 2 that was a really great amp. Big and heavy, but a great sound. I sold it and don't regret it--I found other ways to get the tone I wanted. But it was a great amp

11. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've seen CARS that weighed less than my VT22. Not quite as clean as a Twin, but if you want people in the next state to hear your Stones-y raunch without a PA system I can't think of anything more appropriate for the task.

I've also got a '67 Gemini II, one of the last handwired amps before they went all PCB (the Ampegs of that era had nice heavy PCBs with thick traces though). If you dime the high and low EQs you can approximate the Fender scooped mid tone, but if you want that, play a Fender. The blue check Ampegs have a cool vibe of their own.

telemnemonics likes this.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

I think you're right.

Wally likes this.

14. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    My 1960 Rhapsody and 1965 Reverberocket 2 head conversion with a J Designs cab featuring a EVM15L
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    You obviously aren't that into them, because you didn't even write the correct model name.

Ampegs are my favorite guitar amps.

IMO, the J-12 and J-12T of the Diamond Blue Series are better sounding amps than the "vintage" Jets. A J-12T has been my main guitar amp since whenever I bought it new in the mid-'90's.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I did a recording session once where the guitarist used one of the '90s J-12s- it had a nice crunch with my '60s SG Jr (which I sold for nothing because it had a pencil thin neck- it never occurred to me it'd be valuable later, ugh). My memory of the '90s J-12s is that they were comparable to the clean channel on a Fender HRDs (which I like), only the reverb wasn't as good. Vintage Jets are more ragged and tweed-y in my experience. Horses for courses.

I used to lust after a '60s blueline SVT head, but when the Tech 21 VT Bass came out I plugged that into my solid state bass head and never looked back.

17. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Had my B-15 Fliptop as my early bass amp with my Gibson EB3. Maybe 1968. My Mom lent it to my nephew never to be seen again when I was away at college. Had the trolley and the cover. EB3 was stolen in 1979-80. :cry:

18. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I picked up a GS-12R Reverbrocket 2 off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. I got it cheap because it has a replacement speaker and needs a recap etc. I haven't gotten around to starting the work yet so I haven't gotten to play it yet, but its definitely going to satisfy an Ampeg amp craving I've been nursing for the last couple of years.

IMG_20180721_154429.jpg

IMG_20180718_220900.jpg

IMG_20180718_215123.jpg

Fearnot and beyer160 like this.

19. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    For my bass rig I have a V4-B and all I think about when I move it is Aguilar... Aguilar... Aguilar...

Paul in Colorado and uriah1 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.