Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do I obsess over Ampegs??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Seems like every time I get on Reverb or Craigslist, I end up in a search for a vintage Ampeg Reverb Rocket. I tried curing my Ampeg ambitions by picking up a nice, clean '90's J12T. It's a cool little amp that produces some sweet sounds, especially with my Dearmond-equipped Gretsch.

But it's only lit the GAS fire for a vintage model. The 30 watt Heritage R12R seems like the holy grail amp to me, although I'd never shell out the $3k they're asking for one. I also read an article about Reverbrockets in Vintage Guitar Mag and it fanned the flames.

I just put a bid in on a clean-looking mid-60's R12RT. Originally marketed as an 18 watter, listed as 22 watts by the seller, and estimated by the tube experts to be more like 20-25 watts based on the 7591 power tubes. It would seem like a great fit to my collection, but why do I obsess over these little buggers??

MitchMiami and 24 track like this.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    If you ever had to haul an Ampeg V4 head around, you would remove the name Ampeg from your brain.

lol

enjoy

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Because you unconsciously long to visit Viet Nam?

Wally likes this.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hahahahahaha I had a V4 half stack and then years later bought a VT22 (V4 2x12 combo) without lifting it first!
    Prob weighed as much as two twin reverbs and just as loud...

5. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I played and hauled an Ampeg V4 stack in the early seventies.
    Can you imagine pushing 8, 1x12 speakers
    Man,that amp sounded beautiful.
    I was in my twenties and never noticed the weight.
    I'm in my sixties now and don't even want to glance sideways at those.

Ricky D., 24 track and uriah1 like this.

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If you haven't yet had the pleasure, you should look for the first gen Reverberocket with 6v6 power tubes and all octal preamp tubes.

These were very sweet amps with both great clean and overdriven tones.
    The octal pre tubes have a sweet fatness that 9 pin miniatures never quite equaled.

I'd also look for an earlier Jet, late '50s up to maybe '60-'61.
    Those are incredible screamers, I had one at the same time as a '57 Deluxe and the Ampeg pretty much killed the vintage Fender.

Those early Ampegs changed quite a bit every year, as they kept trying to get rid of that nasty distortion.

While the mid '60s and later are fine amps, the only ones from that late I still lust after are the Portaflex bass amps.

W.L.Weller, Ricky D., brbadg and 3 others like this.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I've long wanted an old flip-top bass amp for the rare times I play bass out. My version? (and it sounds pretty darn good) is my Sovtek Mig 50 head into an old Peavey 1X15" cab.

24 track likes this.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    The R12R-T is my favorite circuit and the last of the top loaded series. The next amp was the front loaded Reverberocket 2.

The Jensen C12R doesn't do the amp justice. Put a good speaker in it and it will be gig worthy.

It should have 7868 power tubes but with Ampeg.......you never know.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    24 track and telemnemonics like this.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I had an Ampeg search phase...
    I ended up with 3 Jets and a Reverberocket... 1960 Ampeg Jet, 1965 Ampeg Jet, 1966 Ampeg Jet, 1966 Ampeg Reverberocket

I don't have a pic of all three Jets i currently own.
    In this pic the one on the left is a reissue that I sold, I still have the middle and right (60 & 66?)

IMG_20120520_124302.jpg

IMG_20111022_153157.jpg

MisterZ, Shango66, 24 track and 5 others like this.

10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Does the '65 Jet scream like I presume the '60 Jet does?

The Jet I had was an odd 6L6 under 20w amp AFAIK, though I bought it as a non working chassis and could barely read the model name.
    The OT was similar size to the 5e3 OT and the volume was pretty comparable, and ATM I'm not sure how I determined it was designed for 6L6 power tubes.

But it was one of the best snarling distorted sounds I can recall from an amp with no pedal boosting it.
    Had I known big amps would be outlawed I might have kept it!

24 track likes this.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    When I set up for KISS they had 2 complete walls of Ampeg cabs and heads it was crazy !( mind you alot were for the pyro technics to look like they were blowing up the amps

P1011627.JPG

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Old Ampegs are a worthy obsession imo.

Here’s mine. ‘66 GS-12R.

IMG_4733.JPG

I spruced it up and it gigs regularly. I love the way it sounds and I love how I feel playing it.

Don’t overlook GC’s used selection. They often have a few at reasonable prices. Everything on Reverb seems to be inflated.

13. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    '66 Jet and '65 Reverberocket 2 here. I am in love we these amps and have gigged several times with mine. Paid $350 for the Jet, $500 for the RR and compared to vintage Fenders that is short money. Lots of them out there.

24 track likes this.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    They all sound great but different. The 60 has 6v6 power tubes and the 65 & 66 have the 7591 power tubes.
    These amps are a sleeper in value... the same amp made by Fender would be worth 4 or 5 times as much.

15. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I had the Reverberocket 50 Head. Pretty great. I miss my Jet 12R more.

24 track likes this.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have one piece of vintage Ampeg equipment...a 4x12 cab V2 cab. No takers in over 25 years. If they fold me up before I get stiff, I suppose it would function as a coffin????

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.

17. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    I am with you on this one! I really enjoy my 66 Ampeg Gemini II, second only to my 62 Fender Pro.
    Thanks John

24 track likes this.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    its amazing these are absolutley fine amps and they have a ton of value , but like my Sunn sonaro , you have to find some interested in it befor you can sell it

19. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Los Angeles
    The deal of all deals is the recent Ampeg Jet 20

It was an Ampeg stab at a high-end boutique-style point to point build that retailed for around $1,000 in the us and $2000 overseas if I remember correct. This was a flop and they got discounted and blow out cheap (like $299 cheap) I got mine off CL used for $200..

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-isnt-the-newr-ampeg-j-20-jet-a-huge-hit.133223/

They pop up all the time for 3 or 4 hundred.. Low ball them!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The Jet 20 is handwired, but boutique...by definition... is not a term that applies. The Jet 20...and all other Ampeg's are massed produced. The Jet 20 was built in Vietnam, iirc. Nice amps they are.....but...boutique they are not. They are...or were.... mass produced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.