Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do I have to finish a maple neck?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Lake Placid Green, Jul 1, 2017.

1. bradyhylla

bradyhylla TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well Silverface, I was referring to maple Fretboards being difficult to keep clean before they have a finish applied. Unfinished maple seems to be like a magnet for grime and grease, making it difficult to get the wood clean, so your not spraying finish over a dirty grimey fretboard. And thank you Silverface, for your condescending comment.

It may be worth your time to look up the finer points of not being a rude jerk

Sent from my C6743 using TDPRI mobile app

Peltogyne likes this.

2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Any light coloured timber is difficult to keep clean while it is still being worked on, i.e. cutting fret slots after sanding the fretboard down to it's final smoothness. The trick is to put a sealer coat on immediately after you have got the surface to where you want it and before you do any more work on it. The sealer coat will stop dirt, sweat etc from penetrating into the pores of the timber.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Sorry if if you find technical suggestions offensive. I was being insulting - it was apparent you didn't really understand wood - and if you don't understand how to keep a neck clean before you finish it I stand by my suggestion - keeping a work area clean, the pieces in it and proper preparation are all part of wood working, as is understanding the different woods themselves.

If you have a problem with them getting dirty - well, read the preceding paragraph again.

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    Why do I have to finish a maple neck?

cause you can't have your dessert until you do young man...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.