Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    I think one reason is because some PRS fans can be rather thin skinned about it, and people have a go at them just for fun. In this case it's not really about the guitars themselves, which seem to be as good or bad as any other guitar.

I would never do such a thing myself. :D

2. jd53

jd53 TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I dunno, I think the the way we feel about guitars is an emotional thing. There is not one perfect guitar and what works for me might not work for you. Guitars all have their own personalities and quirks. I have Gretschs, Fenders, MJTs, Gibsons, PRSs. A strat won't do when you want a Les Paul...and so on. What I do know is that the PRS guitars I have let me play things that I find difficult on the others. With my hands, my touch, PRS guitars just work better. Your mileage may vary and that's just fine.

3. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Well,dadgummit,I ain't readin' 28 pages (even though I may have already chimed in)...
    Lots of "less-than -desirable -bands" (by some opinions) have played Les Pauls,strats,teles,SGs,Vs.....yada yada.
    Never blame the tool----
    Brent Mason and David Grissom,PRS..........not TOO shabby. ;)

4. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i did like the PRS used in the B9 pedal demo on sweetwater. its a nice black, with maple binding. looks pretty sharp, no crazy ten top, or top shelf, private reserv or whatever they call their more bling models. just one classy looking axe.
    chris.

5. stratman1969

stratman1969 TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Herndon, VA
    I don't hate PRS guitars, in fact, I was at GC recently playing a PRS SE245 that was marked down because it had a dent in the headstock that had been fixed. Blew away any Epiphone I've played. I had to leave the store because I was so close to buying it.

6. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I like PRS. I have a few. For my money I like the Ed Roman Quicksilver a lot better.

I also have a lot of Fender, Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, etc....

7. kilbey

kilbey TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina

You don't get it. I can't afford a PRS, period. If I somehow managed to buy one, I'd have to sell it in a few months when my 12-year-old car dies.

Yes, scratches ARE a big deal when you can't afford to keep something. You have a completely different mindset than I do. I don't have money to burn and lavish upon myself.

The only way I can really afford more than one electric guitar is to make changes to the one I have.

I also like change. Having one guitar the rest of my life would leave me wondering about other sounds I could get after some inexpensive mods. I like the modular nature of the strat, and I think that,seven as revered as Leo Fender has been, he might still be underrated for his brilliance in making a guitar that can be put together like his models.

So what's "right" for me changes fairly often. Guitar is for my own therapy as much as anything, and the therapeutic effect is renewed with a different feel or tone once in a while. We're talking $50-100 changes at a time- not buying a new $1500-2500 guitar.

8. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of such a thing myself. Never seen it.

Just what kind of ill-educated, xenophobic, self-agrandizing, mutually echoic, amateur rubbish are you reading to see this? Or are you just blowing smoke?

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I've always kind of had a thing about Asian imports but my pawnshop SE Korina won me over. I never considered any of the points raised in this thread, much less anyone else's opinion or approval.

10. james45

james45 TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2014
    devon UK
    I thought I hated PRS guitars. But on Saturday took a trip to Project music in Exeter in the uK and tried a few. I had a mad a journey to get a guitar set up and was just killing some time really. I was not expecting them to be anything much and didn't even really want to try one but one of the guys in the shop I got chatting too said I needed to try one. Sure they look great and I expect them to be good musical instruments as they are very expensive but I expected a lack of something when compared to my other high end guitars. I was very wrong. Every one I tried out was superb. Unfortunately I appear to have expensive tastes. I was ready not to like them and even kind of made my mind up before almost begrudgingly picking one up and plugging in. They just sound and play great I personally prefer a more plain looking guitar though as they all had very fancy finishes. Most of the finishes that Project Music had were see through quilted or flame etc and I think I would select something a little more mundane myself.

11. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    So, has anyone tried one of those DGT mahogany standards? There are even some with a simple finish and dots (okay, so moons), but damn... I kind of wish I didn't learn of their existence. I suppose I'm about two years late, but that may be why I'm seeing them priced in the range of an American Vintage Fender.

Here's Greg Koch doing inhuman things with one:

12. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2010
    USA
    9027.jpg

Yup...sings like angels...

13. Stonehead

Stonehead TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Calgary, Alberta
    Recently picked up my first PRS, love it!

[​IMG]

14. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I love the plain, all mahogany PRS guitars.

[​IMG]

They even make ash bodies, with bolt on maple necks.

[​IMG]

15. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    Love PRS guitars - truly underrated. I'm still a dyed-in-the wool Strat fan (I have a tele, too), but have never picked up and played a "bad" PRS. I've even played one Paul Reed Smith. The PRS (versus US made Paul Reed Smith) guitars are simply great.

16. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Very nice Stonehead, a real beauty. Congrats!

17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I played a new S2 custom 24 a few months ago. First PRS I ever loved. I've liked a few, but this one I loved and sold a couple guitars to get it. I've hardly put it down.
    Talked to a buddy who bought a PRS back in the 80's one with a volume and sweet switch. He didn't like it and returned it. He says Paul heard about it and called him a few days later and asked him "what he didn't like about the guitar". They talked and a neat thing happened , Paul listened.
    As for my S2 out of the bag, everything was right. Intonation spot on, frets all smooth on the sides. Action great all the way up with no buzzing. I settled on .09's on all my guitars, this one has 10's and is as comfortable as my other ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.