Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2011
    arkansas
    This x1,000. Pulled from an early page and I can't agree more.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I don't have anything at all against them personally, just haven't really bonded with one. After I got my Strat and later my Tele, I started playing my Gretsch less too. The Fenders just work for me.

3. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i do think they would be stupid if they ever drop their 25" scale. i think that is a ideal scale.
    chris.

4. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2011
    arkansas
    Love my SE acoustic . Fits the bill for me in every way.

No hate here!

Attached Files:

5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I played an SE 12 string a couple of weeks ago that was very impressive. $400, felt and sounded great. That's hard to beat.

6. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2008
    Vancouver BC
    You know, that looks pretty sweet, headstock included. Suits it, actually.

7. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2011
    arkansas
    Here's with my new tuner buttons. Macassar ebony. Kind like them.

Attached Files:

8. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    The problem with PRS guitars, for me, is the design. They lack some ineffable quality that classics like the tele, strat, LP, Gretsch jet, etc have. Besides having too much bling, they have a feeling of "trying to be a bit different" but not quite making it. You don't have to copy the classics to have good design, just look at Reverend.

9. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2013
    England
    PRS are some of the best playing guitars you'll find. Their attention to detail is top notch and with their later models (2008-present), they have really nailed their pickups. Even their factory setup exceeds other guitars IMO.

Why don't people like them? Because everyone has different tastes. I don't like Jackson or Dean or BC Rich or Ibanez guitars. But LOTS of people do. Is there anything wrong with the manufacturers I mentioned? Nope. They just aren't my style.

Sometimes it's cool to dislike something, and I think PRS gets a bit of that. You see all the same old nonsense written about these guitars like the doctor/dentist thing. Or that their tone is wrong and a blind test has shown people struggle to pick a Les Paul from a PRS.

Also, about the bling. There are plenty of plain colours and models out there that are conveniently ignored. They aren't all flames and quilts. But many will say the bling puts them off and don't reply back when the plain tops are mentioned.

I own two PRS guitars and they both play better than any of my Fenders. I have an AV 64 Tele coming which might give them a run for their money, but the PRS will likely win out. That said, my PRS aren't my most played guitars. I like my single coil sounds. But my PRS are there when I want a change, and every time I pick them up they make me smile still.

10. kilbey

kilbey TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    I second that.
    Being working class (meaning I make a poverty wage) the Fender Strat is my "in". I can buy a cheap body with a cheap neck, and upgrade as ow can afford to. I "hate" a PRS the way I "hate" a Lamborghini. If I was given one, I would sell it because as soon as I actually use it, I might scratch it and devalue it. A car is a practical thing to me, and a guitar is practical and therapeutic, not a status symbol.

I also like that I can change parts on the strat for the fun of it too. Not so easy on a PRS or Les Paul.

11. tdarian

tdarian TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Southern California
    Don't kid yourself, the after market parts business for Les Paul's is vibrant.

12. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Mpls/St. Paul, MN
    This has been interesting reading to me because I realized that I've never even taken one off the rack to try. It may sound silly but I believe that's the case for no other reason than their appearance. I tend to go for the utilitarian look. Never owned any guitar with gold plated hardware either.

13. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2011
    arkansas

That's the thing , if you buy the right PRS for you , you don't have to upgrade it as you can afford it. You buy it set up like you like it.

If I buy another PRS , its to play it. Scratches/devalue are not a big issue because I do not buy with intention of resale . I buy a guitar to play it , then hand it down to my kids .

As stated , you don't buy a PRS to mod it . There's not really need to buy abunch of aftermarket stuff unless the event of damage . I did change the tuner buttons on mine because I don't like chrome on an acoustic. They weren't hard to find at all .

14. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2013
    England
    PRS are definitely not for the major tinkerers. Whilst some may want to change tuners, pups etc on the SE models, once done, there isn't much left to to, except maybe swapping bridges for the US one or something. Though there is a guy called Sergiodeblanc on the official forums has done amazing work with his SEs.

Fender guitars are great for those that want to fiddle, there are so many after market parts and official parts that can be changed or swapped. It adds another dimension for many guitar owners.

Personally I prefer to spend more time playing than fiddling so I'm happy with a number of different brands. I'm the kind of guy who puts off string changes because it would eat into time spent actually playing!

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Except for the headstock. If they made an after-market kit to change Paul's lazy, metal-ish headstock design to something else - I'd already have had a number of them.

It so does not go with the rest of the guitar. If you know design you know anywhere else that would have been a rough draft and later it would have been refined.

But - I do regret not buying a Korean model PRS korina-looking guitar with a wrap-around bridge and two P90's (whatever that model is called).

BIG wide neck. Great neck. And it also came with one of those crazy-good PRS uber gig bags.

$200 and I passed it up. Oh well.

Though I would have had to change the headstock somehow...:lol:

16. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2013
    England
    There are actually two PRS headstocks, the pointy one that is most common, and the Santana headstock that Carlos likes on his guitar. The Santana headstock has become more desirable and many are speccing this type when ordering their private stock guitars. Personally I like both headstocks.

Here's a pic.

image-3016457524.jpg

17. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

im not feeling that head stock. id take a original over santana i guess. and i do not really like the original. laughs. but then we do not play the head stock, and all is ee of a head stock when a guitar is in my lap is the keys. i just want it easy to tune. looks come second when im looking at it in the stand. so not as important in the scope of things. :D
    chris.

collectors will do what they can to make something more desirable i guess.

18. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown TDPRI Member

May 30, 2014
    BC, Canada
    I like everything about my SE Singlecut Trem. It's not too flashy but it looks nice. It plays like dream. The tone is great. The tremolo never causes it to go out of tune. I even like the headstock although I can see that it may not be to everyone's taste. I traded an Epiphone '61 reissue Les Paul for it. The PRS is a much better guitar. The Epiphone was very nice but the PRS is nicer in every way. Which one do you prefer? I'll take the PRS any day. I think I probably play my tele more but it's close.

Attached Files:

19. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Love, Love, Love my PRS SE Nick Catanese. Its as close to a perfect guitar as I have picked up. I will probably pick up a Paul Allender as well eventually. I really like the bat inlays.

20. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    So why do folks LOVE PRS guitars?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.