Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

That one caught my eye too. Somehow I must own one.

2. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    New England
    PeNiS envy, then? :D

3. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    New England
    Maybe, but that's kind of oversimplifying it. This kind of thing can go very deeply into a persons psyche. Feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness can be very 'core' to a personality and representative of their upbringing, or other experiences that shaped them as people.
    I think to boil it down:
    "Only the best people deserve the best/finest things and therefore if I own the best/finest things, I must be one of the best people"
    This is the logic or justification/rationalization. But buying something isn't really that satisfying and so they need to keep buying, etc to keep these feelings of worthlessness at bay. In their defense, not many people have the courage to hang out in a feeling of worthlessness for very long. Buying things is fairly harmless.

4. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    New England
    Zuzax's comment remind me of the phrase
    "Guitar for the practicing attorney"

5. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a lot of money and disposable income. There is nothing wrong with buying nice, expensive things. Everything is relative. Wealth or a large disposable income allows people to purchase things that are out of the reach of many other people; so they can buy what they want and can afford to buy much more expensive things. They usually don't buy these things to be envied, but they buy them because they like them and want to buy them - for themselves.

If you think that money can't buy you happiness, try poverty.

Needless to say, there are a lot of super nice PRS guitars available. Probably most any guitar player could find a model that they like and is within their range of affordability. Never the less, some people just don't like them for whatever reasons. I have liked almost every PRS I've tried out and I own three. My next guitar might be a PRS.

6. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    New England
    I didn't say or imply there is anything wrong with it. I am just explaining that there are sometimes psychological mechanisms that influence peoples behavior and those influences go deeper than 'I like it'.

7. johnreardon

johnreardon Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2006
    Brackley, Northants, UK
    JP, my PRS have shrunk as well :D

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    A PRS doesn't sound like a Fender or Gibson, and guitarists are a surprisingly conservative bunch.

As for myself, I don't own a PRS but I'd love to one day, likely a DGT.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    The depth to which people attribute characteristics and deficiencies to those who buy things like a PRS is also likely indicative of the person making the attributions, methinks.

In other words, methinks thou dost protest too much. :D

10. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've got the same impression and experience. PRS makes fine guitars, and a friend of mine plays one in Chris Daughtry's band to great effect.

However .... They are not for me for several reasons. I love the minimalistic aesthetic of Reverend and Fender guitars.

And, I certainly know. "that guy." He owns everything and never leaves the house with any of it . We're talking multiple fancy inlay PRS's, Taylors, Warwick basses, on and on. He shows them off and he can play some intricate Rush or Yes lick, but can 't trade off rhythm and lead on a blues or other simple progression .

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    And Custom Shop Fenders, Historic Les Pauls, 'boutique' amps, etc. It's not brand specific. PRS is an easy target simply because they don't offer $300 products like most of the established "big" companies.

12. jfurry

jfurry Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2014
    Nor cal
    I only know one person that hates Paul. Paul sued for copyright infringement. You know the birds on the neck. My friend won but it cost him. He was doing the birds 7 years before Paul.

13. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Tokyo, Japan
    Well for no real reason, I figure I'll post my McCarty Korina Soapbar. It's not much of a looker but I tried a bunch of guitars in the shop when I bought it in '08 and this was the one that did it for me! It's the only guitar I've played for the past 2 years, since I moved to Tokyo. [​IMG]

14. jfurry

jfurry Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2014
    Nor cal
    Ya those birds :)

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    This thread gots legs. Looking back I wrote about the '87 Custom 24 I let go of because I was afraid of scratching the finish. It was too pretty. I still wish I had just stuck it under the bed. Nowadays one of my favorite, and least expensive, guitars is my SE One. It sits in a stand next to a MIM Tele waiting to be picked up and plugged in whenever the moment strikes.

16. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I come at it from the other side.
    I am a former owner of a PRS- I bought an '89 Custom secondhand in 1992, before they were as well known as they are now.

I gigged the hell out of my '89 Custom.
    Replaced the pickups, dropped the sweet switch and the 5 way for a regular tone pot and 3 way.
    It was refretted twice in the time I owned it.

I eventually sold it because of three things.
    1. The weight- although light by LP standards it was still on the heavier side of the fence.
    2. The trem stopped staying in tune.
    3. Ultimately, I prefer bolt on necks.

That said, lovely guitar and despite all the mods I did on it I made a good profit for owning it for 20 odd years.

I'd have another one if I found one I liked but I mostly play Forshage/Anderson/Suhr guitars these days.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Every guitar builder builds expensive guitars. PRS builds some expensive guitars just like everyone else. So what?

PRS also builds some spectacular guitars priced under $699 and I think this is the best thing about PRS. They raised the bar for import guitar quality.

$349 used at GC Brookfield. My PRS Santana. $349 (cheap). Beat that deal.

[​IMG]

I'm proud of my cheap PRS guitar. I like PRS.

18. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Very nice and at a very excellent price. I have two used PRSi - one is a 200 dollar, out the door, absolutely mint Singlecut SE - the other is a 250 dollar, out the door, almost mint PRS SE Standard with a real Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup, and it came with the stock pickup that I might put back in.

I just bought a brand new yellow Santana SE that is really awesome.

Yours is really nice. I sure you really enjoy playing it. I like the stock pickups, how about you?

19. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    New England
    I trust it's nothing a wee tweak of the truss rod won't fix, John?

20. HighHopes

HighHopes TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Just want to throw my two cents in. I own a PRS SE Custom (the one made before it was a 24-fret guitar). Black back with a gray flamed maple top, no real "bling" except abalone dot inlays and the natural "binding" stripe where the top meets the mahogany body.

I love that guitar...it's great for "Gibson-y" sounds that require a mahogany body and a set neck. Paid a total of $500 for it new (including trade-in), somewhere around 2006. Very lightweight and great sustain for its size. I also really like the PRS-designed trem bridge, very stable when doing modest dives and vibrato. For an Indian-made import, that guitar has been rock-solid for me and has done everything I asked it to do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.