Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutter2001

cutter2001 TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Just curious. Seems like fender and gibsons are ok no matter the quality or their country of origin. Why the hate for Paul?

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Sometimes envy of the competition is the beginning of such things, if quality is great.

I've never played one, so I don't know how they play.

3. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Sweden
    I don't hate them. Have actually never played one.

Visually I'm very impressed, they seem to be very meticulous abut attention to detail, and the tops on some of them are just stunning.

But it's not for me. I prefer a little less "bling". But again, no hate.

4. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    Ridiculous tribalism. They make some fantastic guitars with superb fit/finish.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Beautiful guitars I cant play their neck profile at all so they are out of the running for me.

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some people prefer their guitars to be workhorses - musical tools.

PRS guitars tread heavily into the "pretty" area. They are perhaps too blingy for many, especially the telecaster set.

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I agree with Mark ,I loved my SE hollowbody custom but I just prefer the 9.5 medium jumbo fender neck .its all in the radius ,The PRS is flatter or at lest feels it .Quality wise fantastic .
    For reason though PRS lack the Fender /Gibson mojo .

8. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I just think they're ugly, never played one.

9. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Pointy headstock, ugly body horns, and too much bling.

10. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    IIRC PRS do make several "pattern" neck shapes and while I'm not sure they go as far as late 60s/early 70s Gibson skinny there is quite a bit of variation and it's not all about wide- fat. As to bling I tried a Starla a few weeks back. No fancy top but plenty of tone.

11. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Feb 20, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I love them, best guitars I've ever played.

The figured tops are off putting for many, myself included to a degree. They can be a bit gaudy with their colour choices and inlays. If you can see past that, or even better go for their standard models without a maple cap as I did, you'll find a great basic instrument. The fit and finish is flawless and I love the wide fat neck, I find it very comfortable.

I don't play electric guitar much these days so I only own one, it's a cheap PRS SE One. It isn't perfect but for the price it is superb.

12. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    ^^^Agreed. A black SE One is a beautiful thing.

13. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Feb 20, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Mine is indeed black. Simple, basic and classy. And only £160 used from eBay.

14. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2005
    nuernberg, germany
    they look nice, they sound pretty good, but there are nothing spectacular for me. imo they have no character, like a tele or a strat. they just don´t ring my bell.
    but to each it´s own....

15. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
    I don't hate them, they just don't do anything for me. I remember when Paul first started making them he was running around trying to get anybody to play them & when I tried 1 it just didn't hold anything for me tone wise, was a bit heavy & a neck profile that just wasn't my thing, it was pretty though but I don't like shiny new guitars. From what I understand he's made strides in his pup development that has led to the current high end models to be able to shed the "sterile sounding" rep they once had but I haven't heard or played one that ever changed my mind.

16. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I really haven't seen that much hate for them relative to other brands. In fact, they have quite a following, especially the Dave Grissom model (DGT).

For all the PRS love in the world, I have never been able to bond with one, and I have tried.

17. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2009
    England
    I just find the tone a bit bland - pickup change would be obvious I guess, but I find them to be a bit like Ibanez solid body guitars; a bit 'meh' .... Plus they remind me too much of the 1980's, a decade i'd rather forget :lol:

They're very well made but just not for me. But in the right hands i'm sure they're great.

18. SockPuppetMasta

SockPuppetMasta Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2010
    Australia
    Beautiful guitars may own one... one day
    Played a few and they sound great at first I never really liked them because most of the guys around me who were playing them,
    were plugging into Mesa Triple Recs and other high gain amps and I never really liked the tone they were putting out. So I just kinda ignored them when I walked into guitar stores.

This was until a friend purchased one a few years ago we it plugged into my AC30. Amazing sounding and playing guitars, Well built too.
    oh and I want a Studio model.

19. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't care for the look, but they are great players. I don't hate....just not my thing.

20. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    They have some really lame players using them: mark tremonti, cody canada, carlos santana, al dimeola, chad kroeger, the only good one is david grissom. Idividually hand signed, limited edition, 10 tops (why?, what wrong with triple a), flame maple, bird inlays. I think they are just trying too hard to make something that's higher end or top shelf. They just scream pretentious. Not trying to hate but I'm personally not a fan, they don't "do it for me". I'm sorry to forum members who are fans of the named guitarists above I'm not trying to insult you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.