Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Do Fender Guitars Sound So Good Through Vox Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sjnoring, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    The only Vox I have owned or played through is a AC10 C1 so lm no Vox expert. But i do love the sound with a Strat/Tele. I agree they can be a bit spikey but i just just roll the treble back and turn the cut up. But believe it or not what really lit it up was my EVH WOLFGANG SPECIAL what a sound. This little amp kicks butt very loud for the size and only weighs 27 lbs. I use it at band practice a lot though I've never giged with it.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Try a good Vox AND a good Fender. I used to run my AC15 with a BF Deluxe Reverb.

stnmtthw likes this.

3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    why? who knows. heck, i even love the way my ac15 matches with my les pauls. they're just really good amps. and mine isn't even one of the vintage ones, just the ac15c1. i did replace all the tubes with nos versions (various makers). i had gotten it from a guy who had swapped out all the original crap tubes for jjs; but i have yet to be impressed with anything from that outfit, either.

the top boost eq adjustments did take a while to figure out, since they are interdependent. the (limited eq) normal channel even gets a pretty close bf sound, if you play around with the tone cut.

i still have my '82 jcm 800 4104, but hate lugging that beast around anymore. if i ever play an arena (yeah, right), i'll take that along. but for any place i play (which is rare...i'm mainly a home recorder), the ac15c1 does just fine. i spent a year finding a couple od pedals that mate like soul mates with it, too; so i'm good. :)

funny you say that. i bought a '65 dr reissue a couple weeks ago, but it's already up for sale. it just wouldn't pair well with the vox. i did play a friend's '65 princeton reverb reissue the other night, and i may get me one of those. that, paired with the ac15, would pretty much set me up for life, amps wise.

stnmtthw likes this.

4. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    what did you find was a good OD pairing for your amp? I have the AC15c2 with alnico blues. Love the amp. Just curious what you found. Thanks

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'm just starting to think a tele through most tube amps is the best thing going, I used to like a strat though my previous amp but any tube amp I've tried with a tele bridge pickup has sounded great including my orange

stnmtthw likes this.

6. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    i found two that pair great with the ac15c1. one is a lovepedal od11. the other is a way huge green rhino mkII. both work great independently, and i'll use them in tandem. i'll use the gr as the od, and set the od11 as a clean boost (by itself...lots of clean gain), or as a boost for solos, when the gr is doing the dirt heavy lifting.

i went through quite a lot of the "major players" before arriving at this pair. but that's my ear's preference.

talkbox_64 likes this.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    I agree, for me a tele with medium output pickups into an AC15 (I only use the normal channel, and the master is always at full) turned up a bit over half is just about perfect.

[Other than changing tubes, snipping the bright caps really made this amp much more playable]

I think they work so well because that normal channel is such a basic circuit that it lets the guitar really shine, adding just the right amount of colouration, with just the right amount of fidelity. By turning down the guitar volume, or varying pick attack, the amp reacts in a really natural way.

8. To quote Keith Richards - Fender guitars are made to go with Fender amps.

9. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    It's always subjective when it comes to what sounds best... I love my AC15 though, sounds great with Strat as well as Tele.

10. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    All I can say is that I love my Ric through a Vox. It just works.
    Everything sounds good through a Vox if set up correctly... but I feel like I can get a usable sound out of just about anything!

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Yes, my VOX amps have had Celestion Blues (CB) since 1993 (that's when the CB was reissued). Before that, I used Vintage 30s; they were the only alternative by Celestion.

talkbox_64 likes this.

12. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Vox has special sound that I think more people dislike than there is fans. I make that assumption from reading musicmags for 40+ years. For strat bell-like tones a la shadows it's perfect. But I never gotten a sound I liked out of a vox. I hate Beatles guitar tone (so what, the music is fantastic).
    But if you like it congrats. It is always nice to know what you love.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Because Tom and Mike use that combination :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.