Why didn't I listen...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bbetancourt, Apr 19, 2019.

1. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

... to all those who told me "practice with a metronome and start SLOW"?

After 40+ years of playing I got myself into this and it really does the trick.
    What the hell ist wrong with me that I took me so long to take the right road. Arrgh - I feel stupid.

greetings/bb

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, it's initially kinda boring and takes a while for the benefits to show, so don't be too hard on yourself! :)

Nubs and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

The long term effects of ignoring sage advice, for me personally, includes a 75% hearing loss because I ignored everyone who told me the house mix was too loud at 104 db, outdoors. Now that I give it some thought, it is a very rare occasion when I am asked to turn it up.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

So what exact benefits did you gain by practicing with a metronome? Better meter? Improved soloing? Maybe I should follow same advice...? :)

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Ditto here! I never bothered with a metronome for years and I've just started to practice with one lately, just doing scales/finger dexterity runs on the neck.
    You don't think it's doing much at all until you play along to a song & you seem to be more in the groove/rhythm than before. I've downloaded a metronome on both my desktop PC's where I play/practice.

Nubs and TeleFunk Man like this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

There are some nice (free) metronome apps for your phone or pad.

I have one where you can choose a different tone for the downbeat of 1 (it's different than the other beat tones).

Good stuff. It's old school for good reason - it really helps.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You’ve inpired me.
    I have been given grief at various times for my “excitability”.
    I rush.
    Guilty as charged.
    I’ll grab a metronome soon.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

After you get really good at grooving with the metronome, won't you be out of time with the rest of the band? :D Maybe you should buy the metronome and give it to the drummer? :lol::lol:

9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I’ve only played for a few years but a teacher I studied with told me in his 40 year career (he used to be a session musician and hired gun for many bands and concerts) he tells how he’d find many intermediate to advanced guitarists who were quite good noodling or playing by themselves, but once in a band setting their timing was awful and sometimes they just couldn’t play with a band no matter how good their chops were.

10. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

Been there, done that.
    AudioBB small.jpg
    Lucky me - my hearing has the frequency-response of my favourite 12"-speaker.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m blessed with great drummers!
    It’s me, mea culpa!
    I could always blame the drummer.
    Yeah, dat’s it!

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  12. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

I want to learn that "boom-chick" and alternate-bass-stuff. Since I use a metronome the patterns feel more in the pocket and my thumb slowly gains some independence.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm blessed with a "built in" metronome....really! But I absolutely practice things slowly to develop "muscle memory", especially when learning difficult melodic lines. I'll play some lines HUNDREDS of times until they become almost second nature.
    This is something I couldn't do forty of fifty years ago when I first started....I just didn't possess the patience! ;)

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I just load a youtube metronome when I practice speed. Start at one tempo and the increased speed metronome videos are usually following it in the side menu.
    You can even get Cowbell metronomes so you can say need more cowbell when its time to increase the speed.:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Of course you could, and you should!

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Never practiced with a MetroGnome. Practiced with a YardGnome once. Couldn't say if it helped though. My memory of that day is a little fuzzy.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I remember 5 years of piano lessons, when I was 6-11 years old. And the daily 1/2 hour practice sessions. And that old tic-toc swinging metronome in the beautiful wooden case. And the two-handed scales, and arpeggios... and the frustration, and disinterest, boredom and wishing I was doing something else.

And I remember picking up my dad's old $5 Mexican acoustic guitar when I was about 10, and learning a bass line off of a Beatles record; and getting a Bob Dylan songbook with chord figures. And sitting in my room for hours trying to figure it all out. And loving music and wanting more, and more, and more. And not missing the precision of the metronome at all, but just enjoying the glorious freedom of playing music that I liked.

Oh to dance beneath the diamond sky, with one hand waving free...

clock-work timing, endless repetition... that ceased to be the definition of the music I heard in my head and wanted to play.

don71 likes this.
  18. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Man, I'm still on the wrong road cuz I don't do this hardly ever. In fact, when I pick up the guitar it can hardly be called practice. I noodle around with crap I already know, maybe try a new riff and/or see what notes and chords go together and that's about it. I may practice part of a song here & there, but as far as actually making progress goes, it's virtually non-existent.

I'm certain this is why I don't play very well and my technique absolutely stinks. One of these days I'll get serious and actually start learning more.

don71 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.