Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why did it take me so long? Oh man, the tele is where it's at

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by admsx, Sep 14, 2017.

1. RockNRollin_Nolan

RockNRollin_Nolan TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    Awesome! Welcome to the club and I'm glad you finally got around to getting a Tele. :)

I was kind of like you. I played my father's 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II for the first 3 years of my guitar journey. When it was time to get another guitar, I knew nothing about different guitars. In fact, my Ibanez looked, in my mind, exactly like a Strat. So when I had to decide which guitar I wanted, I went with a Strat because, I mean, how could you go wrong with a Strat?

But not too long after I learned what a Telecaster was. Then I found a $600 MIA Telecaster and I had to buy it. Spent all my birthday money on it, too. (I still don't have a job so I can't pay for it any other way. :p). My guitar life hasn't been the same since then. Now I want an entire collection of Telecasters. I never get tired of looking at them, and playing them. :)

Minimalist518 and Chicago Matt like this.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Always loved them always will

Gary

Chicago Matt likes this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    We all end up here eventually, eh? I, too, used to think the Tele was ugly. Especially the "needle-like" headstock.

I started playing at age 53. Before that, I assumed for some reason that the Telecaster was a "rhythm guitar", with a narrow fingerboard, and a Strat was a "lead guitar", with a "normal" fingerboard.

I have no idea where I got that from.

My son played a Tele, and had left it at the house. I began rotating it in, playing it as well as my "lead" Strat :lol:. After a few months, it got to where I couldn't imagine being without it, so I bought my own. And another, and ...

Minimalist518 and Chicago Matt like this.

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I really love my Tele.
    But today, I finally got my Les Paul back from getting a setup (only took him 7 months!), so I got a huge buzz blasting that thing and listening to the crazy sustain and thickness. I'm in 7th heaven right now.

However, I will get a hangover shortly because I know that thick, heavy tone will burn me out and I will crave the intricate articulation of the Tele. And then I will go back to her.

That's how it always seems to be. Which is why it really is nice to have at least a few guitars, if you can.

Chicago Matt likes this.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sounds like you need a new tech! :eek:

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I also came late to the Tele party. I played Gibsons for the first 10 years, then came to appreciate the clearer single coil sound of the Strat as well as the added tension of Fender's longer scale. The Stratocaster did everything I wanted for the next 35 years. I thought of the Tele as an inferior Strat prototype.:) I finally got a Tele 3 years ago just to have that unique, fat, single coil bridge tone for a couple of numbers. Well, slowly but surely I find I'm reaching for the Tele most of the time. And now I'm loving all 3 switch positions. What the heck?

7. Syd Lennon

Syd Lennon TDPRI Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I used to be a strictly-strat guy. I played teles here and there but didn't really get to know the whole picture til I was gifted one and used it in live/recording settings. I fell in love quickly. It's packed with so much character. Plucking dynamics are more accentuated than strats. The tele bridge spank is the claim to fame, but the neck pickup is also unique and very different from the strat. The tonal range is more exaggerated on a tele between the neck/bridge, so the middle position becomes an unpredictable blend and occupies it's own sound territory. A big key to the tele, that I figured out after a while, is the tone and volume knobs. The control switch gives you a wide spectrum, and then the knobs let you fine tune with so much detail and clarity.

Also, the classic vibe tele series is top quality. You get a legit, vintage tele tone for an insanely good price, especially used. I have a 60's MIA and it isn't drastically better. It feels nicer in my hands, looks a little cooler, and has it's own subtle tonal character, but the overall sound quality seems like it's on the same level as the CVs I have, each with their own subtle tonal character. I think modern technology plus decades of experience/first-hand wisdom means the economy fenders of today are beginning to sound just as good as the first generation fenders.

Minimalist518 likes this.

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I liked the telecaster right away, without knowing it. I fell in love with the sound first, and then did some research to find the "model".

Tried a few strats and they are way to "comfortable". A stratocaster is elegant because of its complexity (nice curves) and a telecaster is elegant because of its simplicity ( a wooden plank, a neck and some hardware).

Minimalist518 likes this.

9. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Congratulations! I, too, just recently dove into the Tele life and feel exactly the same. I’ve never grow so attached so quickly to a guitar in my time playing. The Telecaster just fits. And it does it, for me anyway, I’m a way that can’t really be explained. And that’s an awesome feeling.

I’ve heard really great things about those cv’s. I’m gonna have to get my hands on one.

10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I totally agree,teles are great guitars

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, when I first assembled my Tele Pinecaster, I couldn’t put it down. I played it every day and ignored the others. Then along came a Strat which is now my favourite to grab on a daily basis. The contoured shape just makes it irresistible but...

...Plug the Tele in and it’s game over. The Telecaster just drips with tone. It’s the ultimate sleeper guitar. It needs so little to make it shine. A little compression-sustain, a little delay and it sparkles in all 4 pickup positions. Just a little dirt and it’s bluesy. Add some fuzzy overdrive and your in Zeppelin territory. I can’t believe it took so long for me to discover the magic of one of these bad-boys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.