Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why did it take me so long? Oh man, the tele is where it's at

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by admsx, Sep 14, 2017.

1. admsx

admsx TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2017
    NJ
    I had tried telecasters in the store, and being a strat player my entire life they did not feel foreign to me. However, in the start of my guitar playing lifetime (age 13) I thought the telecaster was the ugliest guitar in the store. As I grew older I learned to appreciate the design of the telecaster as I did my vegetables. However, I never bought one until just recently. Woah, is all I can say, I've really been missing out. I love strats don't get me wrong, but I've always found them to be a bit finicky. And more importantly, I do not like the quack tone on positions 2 and 4, just not me cup of tea never has been, I only use the strat neck and bridge pickup, and I never use the tremolo. So, I started thinking hey I recently had to sell ALL my gear to help pay for tuition and I was left without a guitar but I didn't really care because I knew I would get a new "different" guitar eventually... well, I bought a squier CVC and damn am I sure glad I did that and not an epiphone les paul.

Ive really had some time to play this thing all week and basically its exactly what I wanted out of my strat but wasn't getting. Much much beefier bridge tone, and I still have a really nice sounding neck pickup, while it doesn't sound like a strat neck, thats ok, it sounds just as good just in its own way. I love the controls, two knobs, awesome. I've been playing strats my whole life and I couldn't even tell you what pup is connected to what tone pot. Oh yeh, and binding, I'm a sucker for binding on a tele.

Overall I feel like the guitar has a faster response than the stratocaster. It's hard to put into words really, but you tele players probably know what I mean. I also find it is much more comfortable to play for me standing up than the strat was, and I don't even miss any contour curves sitting or standing. Then again I'm kinda thin.

Anyway, so so so happy I bought this thing. I think I finally have found "my" guitar. It sounds fantastic as is, but of course now I'm thinking.. hrmm.. what if I put some Fralin Blues Specials in it. Why can't I just leave a good thing alone.

2. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I was the other way. The first time I saw one I thought it was the prettiest thing I had ever seen.

texastengu and Frank'n'censed like this.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Welcome to the tele club!! My first tele was also a revelation!

Besides, I love both teles and strat, but yeah – from your description of how you used a strat, a tele is really the right guitar for you.

Re: the neck pickup. Both have their uses. The tele sound is way rounder, and this is crucial to me as I use it as my main jazz guitar. But for rock-blues, I think the more compressed neck PU on a strat is unsurpassed.

If you don’t want to buy a strat down the road, and if you miss the neck pickup, you might want to try a twisted tele pickup in the neck. That would not be my choice (I need that “real tele” pickup and would rather have a strat for that), but it’s a good/great pickup. To try one, just walk in a store and try out a ‘50s Baja – it has a twisted tele in the neck.

If you’re otherwise happy with the sounds you’re getting, I’d say wait for a pickup swap.

Whatever you do, welcome to the club and enjoy your tele.

pdmartin and Minimalist518 like this.

4. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Same with me. I started playing at nine. Got my first tele at 40! Have been playing Les Pauls all my life but the last two years. I guess what ever we play we always end up with the telecaster sooner or later. Leo got it right from the beginning!

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I was ambivalent about the looks of the Tele but I wasn't keen on the sound it produced when I saw some bands that used them. Now I realise that was probably due to poor choice of settings / wrong pickup being used / poor amplification / poor PA / poor mix / poor venue acoustics (or any combination thereof).

What made me buy one was picking one up and playing it (in my rudimentary / learner's way). I won't say it's easy to play but it has a comfortable feel / balance / weight (for me) compared to a Les Paul - which always feels bottom-heavy and too heavy overall.

I also love the sound I get (Japanese made with traditional pickups) when played through my amp. Adding a bit of germanium or mosfet fuzz also produces a noise pleasing to my lugs.

At some point, I fancy getting a thinline - akin to Chris Shiflett's, to see what humbuckers and a semi-hollow body can produce.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Well done. Like yourself, I started on Strats and worked my way thru Ibbys and all sorts. It took me years to even try a Tele as I had always considered them a bit old fashioned and mainly for country music. Couldn't have been more wrong.

nozzi likes this.

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, I'm a Strat guy, but if I didn't love the 2 and 4 positions, I'd be a tele guy (my strats have always had fully blocked tremolos) so it sounds like the right move for you. I love the bridge pickups on teles but love the Strat neck pickup, use the middle a lot, and love the 2/4 combinations. First Strat had a 3 way switch and I had to find the 2 and 4 on my own... I kept trying to get a tele to sound like a Strat and finally just got another Strat. But I love teles too, so if I ever give into the GAS and get a second electric, it'll be a tele. Just a bare bones 2 pup, 3 way tele that sounds like a tele and nothing else...

8. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Yep, sounds like you're at that stage of life where it all makes sense.

I started out (31 years ago) playing Strats, and went from a Strat to a Les Paul to a Tele.

And while I still think a '57 Fiesta Red or Sunburst '54 Strat is a thing of Beauty, when I plug in a Tele, I'm "Home".

Minimalist518, rooboo and texastengu like this.

9. flatcat

flatcat TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Detroit
    There's a marketing angle...
    "Come home - to Telecaster"

rooboo likes this.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you go down the tone modding path ... Start with the electronics not the pickups, even wide open the controls do actually control the guitar's tone. Pots and cap swaps for a while. Usually that fixes most needs now unless I want something completely different like changing a single coil to a humbucker or a Strat pickup for a P90.

Look into the 4-way switch.

And watch a couple of Bill Kirchen Hot Rod Lincoln youtube videos for the number of tones he gets out of his Tele.

Minimalist518, dustoff and texastengu like this.

11. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    After an Airline my "first" guitar was a 1964 Sunburst Strat (Beach Boys/Surf Music>Jimi). The headstock and horny contoured body and three pups screamed play me. I know most peoples thoughts on wood not being an intrinsic factor in electric guitar tone doesn't jibe with my feeling that the slab body of a Tele is the most resonant electric springboard I've felt and heard. Hands on a hard body.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

12. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    Look right. Feel right. Play right. Sound right.

Telecaster: adding sunshine to your day since the 50's.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    'As I grew older I learned to appreciate the design of the telecaster as I did my vegetables.'

Q:What's the difference between vegetables and bogies?

A: You're kids will eat bogies

Sorry........................

Owenmoney likes this.

14. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

Congrats. Pics of your Tele?

15. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    Congratulations ! Your home now ;)

16. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Telecasters are deceptive. They look ordinary. They only have two pickups. They're just a basic slab shape. But that bridge makes a huge difference. And being less complicated, they're easy to set up well. So if you want to produce music, they get you closer to doing that with less fuss.

Minimalist518 likes this.

17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I had been playing electric guitar for over 30 years (Jazzmaster and Strat), when I got my first Tele..1969 Thinline...
    Now that's almost all I ever use..
    That CV Tele is one very nice guitar..

Chicago Matt likes this.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats. Same story here too. A strat guy, then went through the LP and 335 until after many years of trying teles, I picked one up and all of a sudden it made since.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

19. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    I've always appreciated teles, I've had them for over forty years, vegetable on the other hand, especially green ones are still a work in progress

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Took me 35 years to fall in love with the Tele. Always thought it looked great, but every few years I'd try one out in a music store and it just didn't feel or sound right. Finally found my MIA a few years ago and fell in love with it. I guess we were both finally ready.

Grux likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.