Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why buskers don't use Telecaser?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by theleman, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ianstrike

ianstrike TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Chicago

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Would that weakness be GAS or sarcasm?

3. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Chicago
    Many many years ago there used to be tons of buskers playing in the Chicago Loop subways. Mostly acoustic players, but there were a few guys that did the tele/pignose thing. Some serious playing before the city made them all get licensed.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Welcome ianstrike, you have posted twice. The way it is is that you say that you are new, that you do or don't have a telecaster, that you have been lurking for quite a while, what wonderful advice we have given you and that you hope to contribute in your own little way, maye tell us about some guitar related issue you have at the moment. Then we respond and say "Welcome to TDPRI, we are sure you will enjoy it here". It is expected that you refrain from anything obscure, provocative or smartassed until you have at least twenty posts to your name. I'm now going to waste a significant part of my day trying to figure out what " Hm M JB" refers to. Drop a post into the "Welcome Wagon" and you will have plenty of responses by the end of the day.

5. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    London - full of buskers. The odd Tele. Mostly electro acoustics

cmclayton101 likes this.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    "Why buskers don't use Telecaser?"

A battle axe with the Telecaster's legendary, reputation...would likely scare mere mortals from getting to close

brogh likes this.

7. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK

I see these guys quite a bit when I visit Manchester town centre

8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    There's a guy here in Toronto who plays what looks like a 52 reissue. I'll have to ask him the next time I see him. I think he uses a Roland Cube amp. He's usually playing outside the LCBO (liquor store) o_O

9. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    We do, we do ...

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    [QUOTE="bettyseldest, post: 7914246, member: 77487"

Note; I'm English this is sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, but we do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

I once referenced something simililar, to an angry young man, telling him I could easily be as coldly, sarcistic as him, when he put down my puns...because he ironically, described puns as the lowest form of wit

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

11. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Buskers do use Telecasters, but most buskers go for something cheap and/or lightweight, like budget-line electro-acoustics or cheap acoustics.

Reminds me of the first time I saw a Telecaster was in London 30 years ago. The singer in the club had a battered Squier MIJ JV '52 Tele in BSB, covered in stickers, playing Elvis, Beatles, etc.

Stayed with me, that image.

12. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, by the time they are good enough to play a telecaster they are good enough to be in a band.

JustABluesGuy and Felino like this.

13. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    Same thing happened to my neighbor down the street. They all lay claim to their "spot". And the local cops will "probably" "back them up".

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Seen a guy in Norwich a few years ago .He was playing an MIM .We chatted for while .Good player .

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I once referenced something simililar, to an anger young man, telling him I could easily be as coldly, sarcistic as him, when he put down my puns...because he ironically, described puns as the lowest form of wit[/QUOTE]

...ah, ya know, sometimes it's a race to the bottom...for me, puns get better as they get worse...so I'm a fan...

anyways, with an acoustic, you're not looking for a power source or concerned about your batteries running out...case works as a tip jar, it's a quick and easy set up...with a tele+even a small pignose or a one those belt amps it is a bit more complex set up, particularly if you're doing renegade busking.

If you're all licensed and stuff, and you've scoped out your power supply and microphones and all, it better be worth the effort. It takes all kinds.

EDIT: on review of the instant replay, IMO, sarcasm may or may not be the lowest form, but when it is employed all too casually, it is at least the most adolescent style of wit, and sometimes that's ok, and sometimes it's just adolescent.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

16. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Ya echo going out with anything decent. People will rob you for $20 bucks at an atm these days. I go out rarely but always there is some bum hanging around. People stopping and popping money into an open case is like crack to these guys and they all want in. I take out an acoustic/electric that plays nice but looks like crap. The sound isn't all that great on the street and I personally don't think it makes all that much difference what you bring out sound wise. Its always a little battery amp. I have seen quite a few Squires both tele and strat. Also, the more you look like you need the $$ the more they will put in the hat. I have this grizzled grandpa costume I use. Its all the pitch and the show.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

17. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    I've seen a few of the perma-buskers down at Bourke Street Mall with telecasters. Not sure if they really count, though, when they need roadies and a truck to move all their kit.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Saw one being used by a busker last night in central London.

19. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    If I went out busking I wouldn't take anything half decent with me. Not to create an image of poverty but to cut my losses if I got mugged.

theleman, Iago and Anode100 like this.

20. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Although with a Tele, you could 'do a keef' and not have to worry about tuning again afterwards.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.