Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why Boss CS-3 bites in a good way?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Darrell, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I think I have figured out why this compressor is NOT the "hot ticket". It compresses at it lowest settings. I mean when you have the sustain all the way off, and the level at it's highest level, it still generates compression.

I like compression, but I found I was "over using" it with the CS-3. Now that I understand this, I feel I have a little more control of the rascal.

I would like to here your "good" expriences with it here (if you have any)...

2. sunbrst62

sunbrst62 TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham AL
    yes,

I didn't know until recently that the the lower the setting on the attack knob, the more the effect could be heard...by my ears, anyways. John

3. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I found this one recently...

a new setting that has me really pumped about this little pedal again. (from right to left)

sustain - 8 oclock OFF
    attack - to taste..control the compression here
    tone - somewhere between 3 and dimed
    level - 2 or 3 oclock

slight compression, maybe 10 percent when off, just enough to have some punch on rythym or lead, and still plenty of tone.

4. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not sure exactly what the Attack knob does. Could someone shed some light?

Thanks

5. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Ok, I will try...I am not a pro (disclaimer)

"...with the knob full counter clockwise. The attack sound is retained in each note even in fast picking, creating a drive sound". My "interpretation" of that is that you can increase the attack of the compression enough to pick up the note and the pick attack point.

I haven't talked to too many folks that use the attack any further to the left than midnight because they don't want to pick up the picked note. I figure if you are really attaching the notes with the pick (or fingers) aggressively, you may want to put this at about midnight to have compression compress immediately after the picked note, to elimante the change of errors and even out each note because you are less careful by picking aggressively.

pant pant

My experience with it at full left, is just that, a drive sound.

6. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe we should call this thread

Indepth analysis of the CS-3.

I guess my beef with it is...

Why would you ever need the Sustain past 1:00, or the attack left of midnight. It just seems like the pots on it could have used some better "refining" and it would have been a hit.

Ok, we are trying to keep it positive here...let us know you settings and some positive thoughts (if any)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.