Why aren't there any brownface reissues? (Is it because of Hip Hop? ;-))) )

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telephonist, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Hi,

Can you tell me why you can't buy any brown face amps from fender? There are so many tweeds and black faces, but no brown faces...

Do they sound worse than the others, or are they neither fish nor follow? Or are they just too similar to one of the others? Why is there so much love for the tweed models and black face models, but not for the brown faces?

Daniel

2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

some records you probably like were used on brown faces. zz top, dire straits

they sound great, cleans are high and bell like, punchy, while the overdriven sound is great. Pretty tight sounding.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Not a economical option for Fender maybe. I know a lot of really good amp builders make H/W Brownface amps on order that would prob. be only about 30% more expensive than a reasonable quality mass produced item by Fender. By the time they set up & everyone gets their piece of the pie for a not so sought over item, I imagine it's just not that profitable at this stage to consider?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Vibroverb Reissue was available - is it still?

Tweeds are tweeds and enough people use them from country era on. And iconic players continued to use Deluxes, Bassmans and Supers or Twins.

Browns in a lot of cases are fixed biasTweeds with brown tolex - most people wouldn't pick a brown Deluxe over a Tweed, likely. BF are the reverb/trem amps there at the birth of rock and pop.

Browns are probably a bit too similar to both. 50s reissue Fender Tele/Strats probably outsell 60s 2:1.

I'd say a genuine Brown Princeton would get a niche following but a lot of people would turn up their nose at a non-verb amp.

Mayas caster and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Can you tell me the differences from a technical point of view ( so that I understand it as a non-pro)?

Are the browns more like a tweed or more like a black sound wise?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Vibroverb Reissue hasn’t been offered by Fender since 1994, when it was changed to the Custom Vibrolux Reverb

There is a Brown Princeton offered currently, the Chris Stapleton 6G2, though it’s modded from the original with a 12” speaker.

Search old threads, OP, and you’ll find a lot of love for the brown amps around here. I’m surprised Fender hasn’t reissued the 6G3 Deluxe given the cult following it has garnered over the years.

7. Marquee Moon

my friend, I posted a good demo of two vintage brown face fender amps right above you.

LuthRavin and ruger9 like this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Isn’t the Chris Stapleton Princeton w/tremolo and no reverb a brown face reissue?

fenderchamp, brbadg and AlbertaGriff like this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Blondes and Browns are like a halfway house between Tweeds and Silverfaces.

They tended - but weren't always - to be fixed bias instead of cathode bias amps with with some optimised preamp values gave a little more and smoother power without some of the rasp and fart of the Tweeds.

Some amps like the 5F1 Champ went unchanged into BF before the later tone control Champ and Vibrochamp were released.

Blackfaces are a little smoother again in the preamp - they tend to overdrive more from the power amp whereas some of the Browns have a somewhat Marshall quality to the preamp that generates some lovely harmonics.

Yes, I'd forgotten about the Brown Princeton reissue.

The real Vibroverb also had the arguably superior bias-wiggle tremolo not using the opto-activator like the BF/SF amps. Ditto the brown Princeton

srolfeca likes this.
  10. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Yes, you did, but it's hard to tell from a video, if you don't have the possibility to get an a/b comparison...

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

The speaker in that AMAZING sounding Princeton is the Weber "greenback" Legacy 10. So that matters. But what a fantastic sound!!!

Marquee Moon likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Its going to seem shallow, but some folks don't dig the color. And, it sounds like there are clones with the same circuit, just not clothed in brown tolex.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I much prefer the brown to the black, or even the blonde.

Brown or tweed I love, blonde is ok, never been a fan of the black w/silver cloth. And silverfaces especially dislike.

I was actually going to buy a PR Brownie specifically FOR the tolex.... then change the mids resistor, the speaker, add a filter cap...lol.... all because I wanted the brown tolex.

14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Amps are being home built by hand better & better spec'd these days or by builders. Simple circuits that you can tweak to your own playing needs vs having generic reissues with cheap parts.

bblumentritt likes this.
  15. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’m no expert, but it looks to me like Fender didn’t exactly cut corners with the Stapleton Princeton.

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Groupthink.

Q: Why do people buy a particular amp?

A: Because someone said so.

Either that or Reverb...

E5RSY likes this.
  17. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

ran into a guy who has been building for awhile, don't think have over $ 800-900 in any of em.Opened up being able to pick & choose any amp one wants for cheap. Its just an option that is available, that has made owning an expensive amp from the past easily obtainable. Also, want to change a value here & there , open it up & do it. Crazy in a/bing against Vintage amps how darn good stuff is being made these days & in some ways better.

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

There's probably not a big enough market for them, especially when you consider that the Blackface cosmetic is what 90% of people think of when you talk about a Fender amp.

And I think that sonically they aren't different enough from an AB763 circuit for most people to notice. It's just not cost effective for Fender to produce in mass quantities like the DRRI or the PRRI.

rze99 likes this.
  19. Marquee Moon

well, they make silverface, which don't sound as good.

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Probably just because no reverb. Many buyers want reverb. Other than that they would cost less to make than BF RI.

E5RSY and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.