Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The "upgrade" version (black headstock script, super jumbo frets) had hot-but-lousy pickups. Supposed to be especially good when used distorted, in practice they were beaten by just about any other pickup. Some people kept the neck pickup, but the best course of action was to get rid of them.

I suggest that if FMIC has devised some wonderful pickups for the Highway One, it would've sold for more money and they never would've been tempted to kill it off in the first place. The Strat version was not bad at all - the dismal pickups on the Tele IMO dragged the entire range down to its demise.

I wouldn't disagree if someone suggested these super overwound A3 pickups in the Highway One Tele are my least favorite Tele pickups of all time. Yeah, they get dumped.

tigger and joe_cpwe like this.

2. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I'd love to try one of these bridge pickups. I may have to hunt one down...

3. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I didn't mean to insinuate that all Mexican Fender's were bad quality. I think most are probably real fine. Mine was a 2009, so I'm not sure if things were different then, or maybe I just got a Monday morning guitar! I didn't really mind putting the money into the mods because it was so pretty and I had always wanted a Mahogany Thinline.

TimothyC likes this.

4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Well it's good you got to make the guitar what you wanted!

5. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    I don't know about the prices of other Highway 1 Teles, but I have an '05 in sunburst and I can tell you it's not for sale, period. :p

scrimmer and HappyHwy1owner like this.

6. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    In my area, Teles in general are overpriced - people asking $500 for a used MIM. Silly, they might be nice guitars but they are a dime a dozen.

7. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    That's why they're expensive! I have two Texas versions and they will be expensive if I ever sell them...

Piggy Stu, scrimmer and Censport like this.

8. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Honestly, the pick-ups weren't terrible and the least of my worries at the time. Part of it was I had always wanted to try the Big-T p-ups and after doing the other mods, I was ready to go all in for that guitar. The Big-T's were remarkably better, but I could have left the originals in, for a while anyway.

Smiff likes this.

9. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    We bought that same American Special Strat for our son, and it's a great guitar! You'll enjoy it!

Pickcity likes this.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The Highway One series gained almost a mythical status among Tele players which drove up the value on eBay etc. GC uses eBay and Reverb as benchmarks.
    Plus, it's American made and the cheapest American Tele is the Special which now list for $999-1049.

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Last year I bought a 2005 Highway 1 Tele (blonde) that had been hanging on the wall at a local small store since new. I had played it enough when I was taking lessons there, that I went in and paid full asking price, happily. ($800+ tax).

Played it for a week, ordered Glendale saddles. Played it for about 6 months, and am awaiting a set of Rose pickups (Bourbon neck, Buckaroo bridge). It won't be getting sold, ever.

As an aside, it's rounding out my Rose collection, too.

1. Rose California Humbuckers on LP copy
    2. Rose Eden P90s in my Dano
    3. Strat has BL Keystones, though
    4 Bourbon/Alba combo in a Samick tele I gave to my neighbor

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    emisilly likes this.

12. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 30, 2009
    A-Bay NY
    I have a 2008 HWY1, that will never be sold. It is an absolutely fantastic guitar! From the craftsmanship to the sound it is stunning! I haven’t changed a thing on it other than putting brass saddles on her. I love that guitar’

13. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I paid $550 a few years ago, for a 2007 blonde white guard. I’m glad to see the value go up - makes it easier to convince my wife I should buy more guitars!

Mine currently has an Allparts V neck, and OV pickups; but I’ve kept the og parts and could put it back together.

14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Because people like you and me like them and want one.

Piggy Stu and joe_cpwe like this.

15. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Haven’t tried the Hwy 1 Strat or tele but I recently acquired a Hwy one P-bass in a trade and I freakin love it! Nice and light and resonant, plays like butter! The used ones don’t last long around here.

16. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

Re : your first sentence, yes, but.... I only changed my MIM to a Joe Barden bridge :)

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    No one seems to notice but the Hwy1 series simply became the American Special series. Literally the only difference between the two being they changed the body finish from flat nitro to gloss poly. That's it. Same necks, same jumbo frets, same hardware, same pickups.

hdvades likes this.

18. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The 2007 Hwy 1 is rumored to have 2-piece vs 3-piece bodies and is treasured for better tone. Supposedly.

dkmw likes this.

19. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    The Texas version are worth more money because they are much more limited, only offered for a few years and in two or three choices of colors. Besides, the specs are completely different, 12 inch radius, vintage spec'd pick guard, logo, etc. different sounding pick ups, etc. Only issue for me ( I own two 2 tone sunbursts) is the necks are soooooo pale... otherwise, I love them.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The case for why the Texas Tele versions sell for a handsome amount is, IMO, way easier to make. Consistently nice, lightweight ash bodies, a far better fretwire choice, Gotoh split shaft tuning machines, a better neck carve, an otherwise hard to find 12" board radius, usable Hot Vintage pickups, and a serious mismatch in terms of supply and demand. I would suggest there was a massive oversupply of the alder bodied "conventional" Highway One Tele from 2005-2015, and only being out of production so long has helped the conventional alder body Highway One up off the canvas where it was out cold, and sold for not much more than a MIM Standard.

I'm thinking, the craftiest way to get a deal on a Highway One is to shop all of them and find an ash body/Texas Tele that's been misidentified as a regular one - or to find a seller who doesn't understand that the Texas Tele deserves at least a $ 200 premium over the alder type, given similar condition. I say that with maximum objectivity, given I have 6 Highway Ones and sadly, not a single one is the Texas Tele version.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.