Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Feb 13, 2018.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    Why are used Highway One telecasters so expensive? Today I've see two at GC for $800
    There's one on Reverb at $600 plus shipping and all others are over $700.
    {{Update EDIT:the $600 guitar was a MIM standard, not a Highway one}}

I know people find good deals,,,,etc. but as a guy wanting get a great Tele one of these days I think a Highway One should be on my radar and wonder why, as a Mexican made instrument they're so high. They seem to be in the range of American tele's

While we're at it, what the pecking order of Mexican made Teles in terms of quality, not needing upgrades, etc? Would it be something like: Standard, 50/60 classics, Baja, Roadworn, Hwy One

I like a 9.5 radius which is why I was looking at the Hwy One. That being said, I played a 50s Roadworn last week and that big 'ole neck felt really good. I've yet to play a MIM Standard that did anything for me in terms of neck feel.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

2. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    They are American made..

3. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    They held their value well...they are an AMERICAN MADE guitar with a budget finish. They play really well, so if you don't mind (or prefer) the satin finish, you can't go wrong. $600 is perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

brookdalebill and 6BQ5 like this.

4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I don't really see any need to upgrade anything on MIM fenders. Sure, if you want a different sound of it, mod it. But quality wise I feel all the parts on them are great nowadays. I don't know if it's the super dry climate here in the high desert, but every MIM fender I touch has incredibly sharp fret ends. Even my amstd tele has some protruding fret ends. Funny enough, the Chinese made modern player telecasters have consistently nicer necks in terms of fit and finish than the MIM stuff, talking perfectly smooth necks without any fret ends sticking out. But that might be isolated to my neck of the woods.

joe_cpwe likes this.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Those prices don't seem unreasonable. For years Mexican Telecasters went for about $300, and Americans about $600 on the used market, with the occasional bargain to be had. Prices have risen a bit over the past two years or so.

The Highway 1 were a bargain priced guitar when they were new, but they were very well regarded, so that keeps the price up a bit. Guitar Center is one case, bargains are hard to come by. But a $700 dollar guitar on a private sale can often be had for $650, maybe a bit less. That's a pretty attractive price these days, especially if it's something you've been looking for.

joe_cpwe and imwjl like this.

6. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I remember when they were discontinued. Long & Mcquade here in Canada was blowing them out for $500 (Probably around $400 US) I should have grabbed a couple then.

asnarski and joe_cpwe like this.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    TeleTown and joe_cpwe like this.

8. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I've had two Mexican Tele's, a Classic Series '50's and a Mahogany Thinline. The Classic '50's was rock solid. I added a Bigsby and routed it for a WRHB on the neck. It was one of the best guitars I've ever had. The Thinline was also very nice in terms of the body, neck and finish. It suffered from bad hardware and poor craftsmanship on some of the details. Examples: holes drilled incorrectly of intonation screws causing a severe angle and screws that extruded 1/2 inch above the strings at the bridge. The nut was also cut wrong and caused the high e string to live right above the edge of the fret board. Impossible to play without rolling over the edge. The pickups on this guitar were not great either. All simple fixes, but still. I put a Joe Barden bridge, bone nut, and Analogman Joe Wieder Big-T p-ups in it and it was transformed. I often wish I still had both of these guitars.

20140105_102701.jpg 20140105_102211.jpg

Southpole, Omiewise65 and joe_cpwe like this.

9. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Sucks to hear about the thinline, I generally consider current fenders to be extremely consistent in terms of quality. More so than their bigger competitors.

10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2017
    USA

11. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    You'd think a Fender Telecaster would be the most consistent guitar ever made now. Its about the simplest design and they've been making it for about 68 years.

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I LOVE the neck on my 50s RW!

As an aside, that's my old Hwy 1 in my avatar, had the hot A3 pups. I miss it.

joe_cpwe likes this.

13. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I have a highway one strat and it's an amazing guitar (with buffed finish and replaced pots and pickups). I was looking for a second one for a friend, but they are consistently priced at the same point as standards around here. I actually prefer the highway ones due to finish and aesthetics, but they need a pickup change so I don't really want to pay ~$750 for one.

asnarski and joe_cpwe like this.

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    Great feedback, why the pickup change?

15. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    I have one that I use for a live backup and for open tuning. The only reason I could think to change the pickups would because they're a bit brighter than say the 52 reissues or similar. Not sure how they stack up against a USA Standard or whatever they're calling them now... But I just roll the tone pot back about 1/8" and I don't need to change the amp settings to plug my Hwy 1 in for a few tunes

joe_cpwe likes this.

16. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I think it depends on what you like, but I am after the chimey RWRP sounds so I got a set of V60's from Bryan (BG pups) and they were a night-and-day difference. The original sets are hotter and less defined.

joe_cpwe likes this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    They are shockingly good, simple, American made guitars.
    I’m glad they made them.
    They were cheaper than American Standard models when new, but go for about the same used.
    Righfully so, IMO.

emisilly, Fiesta Red and joe_cpwe like this.

18. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I know a guy locally who has an American special Strat, and he's asking $550 for it. It is like new, candy apple red w/maple fretboard. The special is much like a Hwy 1 but has the gloss finish. I plan on picking it up this week. It is a nice guitar and $550 for an American Strat in near perfect condition is a steal.

I wish Fender would have continued offering the Hwy 1, but I'm thinking that model was cutting into their standard sales.

emisilly, Jimmy Owen and joe_cpwe like this.

19. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    About the Thinline. Were the pickups themselves not great or the factory stock 1 Meg pots not great? Or neither? Lol. It looks nice anyway.

Yeah, you’d think so. That’s plenty of time to get the process nailed and perfect every time. :lol:

20. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    Weren't they around $700-800 brand new when they were in production?

joe_cpwe likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.