Why are tube amp people so adamant. Solid state has much to offer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 30, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't know, I aint judging, I'm just like...no thanks.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Operator error is an issue with just about everything with knobs, buttons, or switches. You have to know what your goal is going in, and you have to know the gear well enough to get that result out of it.

I remember about ten or twelve years ago, before modeling really caught on, people still directed their "I spent more time tweaking than playing!" angst at Mesa/Boogies. The baton has been passed.

3. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

The shimmer of a strummed chord with the chorus is a thing of beauty.

bftfender, TelePunkJCM and micpoc like this.
  4. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I don't have the movie on hand, but in stills I see a tweed bassman, and some fender blackface in The Last Waltz. Maybe a Music Man is in there somewhere. Television used super reverbs in the studio, which is their best sounding album. It was not unusual for bands to use louder amps that do not sound as good live, yet use the nice tube amps in the studio where tone really matters. Jimmy Page for instance played marshalls on stage, but used a supro in the studio. Pete Townsend used hiwatt on stage, but in the studio used a tweed bandmaster. Billy Gibbons used Marshalls on stage, but in the studio used a brown deluxe. I'm a cure fan, not because of their great guitar sound. They would probably sounded better with a super reverb, and a boss chorus ensemble.

bftfender likes this.
  5. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Maybe, but not only SRs...

From Melody Maker, 1978 (I think)

television marquee moon gear.jpg

6. Marquee Moon

I saw Richard Lloyd say he used them live on the advice of Keith Richards. In the studio though, both guys used tube amps.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Clapton used MusicMan amps.

8. Marquee Moon

They did use super reverbs. I read an interview a long time ago where he said it himself. In any case those were all tube amps that they used.

9. Marquee Moon

Marr only used ss on his early stuff when didnt have much money, which were great material wise but not the best sounding. Once he got rich and famous he started buying appropriate gear. He loves vintage gear. I know for a fact he used tube amps on classic songs like how soon is now. He still plays tube gear to this day.

10. Frodebro

Music Man amps were hybrid, not SS. Just throwing that out there to keep things honest. :)

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but you could just get a CE-2 (same circuit) and plug it into an amp that didn't sound like the aural equivalent of an operating room.

And the dirt channel on those things was found to cause cancer in lab rats...

Owenmoney likes this.
  12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

This thread is still going!

13. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Ha ha. “Appropriate gear”. Good one.

I’m really glad I can dial in a great tone on most anything. I’d hate to be limited to “appropriate gear”.

14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

You're pretty awesome. I bet you'd sound great doing surf music on an 8-string Ibanez through a Triple Rectifier. Who needs appropriate gear?

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Some of them had a freakin' PHASER on them, too. And they spelled it "PHASØR"!

Frodebro likes this.
  16. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Are 6 of the strings the normal guitar strings? If so I’m pretty sure it’d be fine.

Johnny Marr switched to “appropriate gear”. That still cracks me up.

He now uses a Boss GT100. Poor guy. He’s been at it so long and so successfully. Too bad he can’t afford to use “appropriate gear.”

Frodebro likes this.
  17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Yeah, a chorus pedal with my Super didn’t match the JC120.

As for the distortion, I think most players weren’t using those for that. That said, a Boss Combo Drive in front gets dangerously close to a HiWatt. I know this because I was a roadie for four years for a band whose lead player used a HiWatt and I own a JC120 and a Combo Drive.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

With my amp set up, the Rickenbacker's just perfect as it goes through a Fender twin and a JC120. The Fender twin has got loads of power and that handles the bottom to mid range. The Fender has also got the best reverb, so I just let the Roland handle the top end most of the time; it's a dream and sounds great. It's something that I wanted to get together for a long time. On the first long British tour I used either one or the other depending on what sounded good in the sound check. When I listen to some of the live tapes now I think they could have been so much better if I'd just used a Fender twin. If I had the choice between one or the other I'd think I'd use the Fender twin with a really good Roland chorus pedal.

I also used a Fender Pro a lot - that was also on a lot of the early Smiths records, while my Blackface Twin was used from the Queen Is Dead onwards.

Overall, what I really didn't like about the records then was the amp, the Roland Jazz Chorus.

-Johnny Marr

beyer160 likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Yeah, well Leo Fender got 'vibrato' and 'tremolo' backward. Sometimes ya gotta just take a deep breath and soldier your way through life's darkest valleys.

Owenmoney likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Oh yeah, no doubt!

TelePunkJCM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.